The real purpose of the HLC is to make sure JW's take blood...

by besty 30 Replies latest watchtower medical

• besty
    besty

Balsam I'm so sorry to hear about your son - the truly tragic personal face of this deathly policy.

The WTS are bloodguilty before God and man and will be held accountable at some point.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Thanks Besty,

I wold like to hope that some kind of a judgement gets these rule makers clear back to Judge Rutherford, but I don't count on it happening. Dak passed 7 years ago and still it can pop into my head at the slightest prodding sometimes. I think for me accepting that life is eternal and my son is not dead but changed, has helped me to cope better than other concepts. But I had to go through the pain of leaving he Borg to explore the world or spirituality for something more comforting to me.

Balsam

• undercover
    undercover
    Confidentiality is on you. If you don't select a religious preference, they will list you as having none (and some dubs actually do this to avoid scrutiny). The census is not public information. To view it, you have to be authorized. Hospitals view clergy as authorized.

I recently spent some time in the hospital and when I went through the admitting paperwork the hospital still had my religious preference as "JW" from a previous surgery. I had them go through and strike that on all their paperwork and put in "no preference".

I had a conversation with the surgeon and told him specifically that I was no longer a JW though I was still listed as a member on the congregation roster. I made it clear, and signed all the paperwork, that I would accept blood if it became necessary. The surgeon preferred a bloodless surgery, but was pleased with my allowing him the leeway to do what he needed if the need arose.

I also had to make it clear to him that my family was still JW and could possibly become nosy into the decision. I made it clear that no one was to discuss the issue of blood/blood fractions with anyone in may family, except for my wife. I told him that, under no circumstances, was the JW HLC to be notified or allowed access to any records.

The hospital did a great job, even to the point of keeping my blood bank wristband covered up when family members were visiting. And my JW family was pleased because I told them that I opted for a bloodless sugery...I just didn't tell them the rest of the decision.

• besty
    besty

hey Undercover - living up to your username there - 007 would have been proud of that job.

• besty
    besty

always worth a bumpity bump - almost 5000 views already.....

• choosing life
    choosing life

Wasn't there something about giving HLC members access to your medical records on the forms the dubs fill out?

Most jws do not have a clue what is acceptable to the new jw rules. That is partially why they have the HLC. I do think they are there to prevent the no-nos of blood also.

It has gotten really difficult to distinguish an accepted blood treatment and one that's not accepted. You can actually store your blood loss during surgery and reinfuse it into your body afterwards.

I saw it done and could not distinguish it from a blood transfusion.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I missed this thread the first time around and I believe you're right on.

I have often thought of the "conscience matters" as the ultimate expression of cowardice on the WT part. When you have set yourself as a general conscience director and suddenly lack the courage either to prohibit or to allow frankly, just "leave it to individual conscience". The most fragile, scrupulous, anxious people will pay the high cost but that's not your problem anymore.

It is quite possible that one function of the HLCs is to correct this phenomenon (in a rather cowardly way too) so as to avoid "unnecessary" casualties and bad publicity. But the reality may be very different from one country to another. The impression I got in France was, indeed, that they were all about making things smoother for the medical staff, even reassuring them that they could not be sued if they gave blood "against the will" of the patient in case of emergency under the current French legislation. But at the same time in other countries (e.g. Canada) they appeared to be working as guardians of the strict no-blood policy.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I'm glad this thread has been resuscitated. I have long come to the conclusion that the goverving body wants the rank and file to take fractions and by extention HLC are there to see this through.

In the newest study book "keep yourselves in god's love" page 217 it asks this question regarding the acceptance of blood fractions. It reads:

AM I AWAY THAT REFUSING ALL MEDICAL PROCEDURES INVOLVING THE USE OF MY OWN BLOOD MEANS THAT I WOULD NOT ACCEPT A BLOOD TEST, HEMODIALYSIS, OR A HEART-LUNG BYPASS MACHINE?".

In other words, what mother is saying is : If you don't take fractions this is what will happen.

I've also sensed that the elders are taking a "don't ask--don't tell" stance when it comes to blood products.

As a side note--I believe that at least here in Canda, HLC is now know as Hospital Information Services.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.ajwrble.addr.com/newsmedia/index.shtml

I would check with the press person on AJWRB because I know they have members who are either current HLC or past HLC members and may have some input on this.

Wayne Rogers
    Public Affairs Director
    AJWRB

Voicemail: (925) 833-9898
    Email: [email protected]
    Mail: 7780 Clifden Ct.
    Dublin CA 94568

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

The HLC is a group of really stupid (in the biblical sense) elders who know the "truth", but have convinced themselves that they possess greater wisdom than those in the medical profession - educating doctors and giving seminars on "non-blood medical management" and all the while denigrating those who realize that taking anything "blood" is the only stance in keeping with the erroneous interpretation of Acts 15:28. (these choose to "obstinately abstain") They imagine themselves better informed both morally and medically when they lose on both counts.

I hate that I was a part of that.

Sorry Sam Muramoto, but thanks for making me rethink my position.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit