The real purpose of the HLC is to make sure JW's take blood...

by besty 30 Replies latest watchtower medical

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I feel that the HLC is there to make sure that witlesses in the hospital do not get out free from the hounders. Also, they make sure they do not get banned blood products without getting an extra hard time.

For instance, a person who needs blood will not be allowed to make the decision to take the blood in peace. Usually, what happens is the Hounder Committee will make sure they get guilted out of taking the blood, losing precious time in which either blood or an alternative could have been effectively taken and a good outcome accomplished. They end up suffering needlessly as a result.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The dubs that I know do not want any blood products at all. They equate them with other diseases and just dont want to take any. Their own life in this system is not so important.

But they are mainly "old school" . I have not spoken with younger ones..Did I not read when the poor girl from Telford (who had given birth to twins) was dying, the HLC tried to get the doctors to use fractions to try and save her?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Funny we need these H.L.C "Rabbi's" to explain this complex and baffling blood doctrine to sick Witnesses, like some type of KGB unit! The most blood-guilty men in the world are the Elders on the H.L.C. Shame on them all!

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

The HLC is present to impose the conscience of the GB on the ill JW who
    is between the sheets. For "old school" JWs this means helping them
    understand what "fractions" they may take.

For JWs who want to exercise their own conscience the HLC's job becomes
    the enforcer, policeman or as some medical staffs have observed, they
    are the Gestapo of the JW world in the hospital. This Gestapo role is not
    without justification to the JW mindset. More than a few JWs will accept
    forbidden blood components when out of sight of prying eyes. Why do
    you think that JW elders and "strong" family members want someone with
    the patient at all times?

• White Dove
    White Dove

So, JW's are still forbidden from donating blood. Gotcha. But I'm confused about how the HLC ever gets wind of the JW in the hospital? Aside from the obvious calling the elders when someone is in the hospital, isn't there ever a time when the ill one doesn't want them there? Isn't that the time when you can sneek blood if you need it? How do they know your condition without reading your chart? That is confidential, right? Where do hospital ethics prevent others from reading your records? Where is the confidentiality?

I could, in all honesty, get away with taking blood and no one being the wiser. All I would have to do is explain that any treatment is confidential because of the HLC, and that I don't want them there interfering. If questioned by elders later on why I didn't want the HLC involved, I would say that it's confidential. It would be a legal thing. If they tried a JC with me, I'd get a lawyer involved.

Does the HLC have access to my records? Am I way off on all of this?

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

I've held that view ever since I left.

I'm sure I've posted it on here somewhere

• willyloman
    willyloman
    But I'm confused about how the HLC ever gets wind of the JW in the hospital? That is confidential, right? Where do hospital ethics prevent others from reading your records?

Patients are formally admitted to hospitals by way of filling out forms. On these forms is a space to note the patient's religious preference. A daily "census" (listing every patient who is in the hospital) is produced for in-hospital use by staff. Clergy are allowed to look at the census so they can visit their parishioners/congregants who are ill. Dubs, like all other religions, have an organized arrangement whereby assigned personnel visit the local hospital and review the census, just as all other religious groups do.

Confidentiality is on you. If you don't select a religious preference, they will list you as having none (and some dubs actually do this to avoid scrutiny). The census is not public information. To view it, you have to be authorized. Hospitals view clergy as authorized.

Sometimes church members (including dubs) will show up at the hospital to see a patient, having learned they are there through the gossip network. In those cases, the staff will usually come in to your room, tell you that you have a visitor and who it is, and ask if you want to see them.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Wow. I never considered that. You're probably right. They're there to push the people as far as they need to, but also make sure they don't kill off too many who don't understand the rules.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Besty

I think so too

ql

• Balsam
    Balsam

In 2001 prior to anything being know about blood fractions the HLC was basically useless to us through they were there at the hospital with us when our son was injured in an car accident. He had no suggestions and later I learned that some of the witnesses (2) had been approved to hemopure an experimental blood substitute new developed. The HLC knew nothing of it and our son died. I was angry and frustrated when I began to really look at the new developing teachings about the use of fractions.

I hate the SOB governing body for their ignorance, and this stupid no blood transfusion rule they continue to support. My ex husband told our son that now they can store and use their own blood. So far as I know that is still forbidden unless something has changed in the very recient guildlines.

Ruth

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit