What are some of your memories pre 1975?

by karter 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• PEC
    PEC

I remember being pressured to get baptized, if I didn't I won't make through to the new system, I was a 12 at the time. I am glad I didn't, not that it makes any difference, I get shunned anyway.

Philip

• yknot
    yknot

I remember the intense urgency & my mom crying (later it was explained she was concerned for my safety through the big A).......it is one of my first memories as I turned 2 in 1975. About 6 months later my memory comes in full. 1976 was a mixture of prepping us for Armageddon and talking about failures of the WTS.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

The CO firmly stated that the Society was not wrong about 1914, and they WILL NOT be wrong about 1975. That was about 1970. At his next visit he said exactly the same thing.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    I don't want to call anyone a liar but I sure do get sick of hearing from supposed ex-JWs from that era claiming that no JWs they knew believed in all the Armageddon hype. That is just simply untrue. I know that no one could possible know the private thoughts of every person but the belief that Armageddon would be over by the mid 1970's was a cornerstone teaching of the Watch Tower Society from 1968 on until it was time proven false

I agree 100%. I remember the district assembly (1966) when the book Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God was released. This book created quite a stir that didn't die down for years. The Society did nothing to stop the tide. In fact we even had 2 Watchtower studies in 1968, one titled "Why are you Looking Forward to 1975." There were more references in print plus all the circuit and district overseers were preaching 1975. At least they were in our area, and from what I've read on this board, it was everywhere.

I also remember the denials after 1975. Four years ago I casually mentioned to my daughter and son-in-law that the Society had encouraged people to sell their homes and property prior to 1975. My son-in-law firmly denied it, stating that his family came into the truth in 1975, and they never heard anything about it. He thought I was lying. My relationship with them from that point went down hill.

Most JW's are afflicted with a malady called "collective amnesia."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit