Attention lurkers! Come on in, the water's fine!

by Mickey mouse 24 Replies latest jw friends

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I've been to this site over the years, but only started lurking heavily in the past few month due to the growing disappointment that I've felt in the few years since being baptized. My story is kind of familiar. So I'll just try to keep it brief: 30-something active sister ( or fading, I don't know yet ). Recently, an elder in my cong. told me he felt I was on the fringe, where the wolves are and I need to straighten up and get back into the flock. Baptized about 6 years ago. Raised in a divided household, but now both parents very active, father is an elder. LOTS of family in the truth, 3rd generation. Very happily married, and my hubby is not a witness (strange, huh ). My biggest issue is that I never, evered questioned the teachings of JW's until recently. And I've never, ever spoken openly about my doubts for fear of reprisal. I never questioned the 'truth', until it was too late, and I'm not at the point where I'm willing to lose mother, father, brothers and sisters, aunts, cousins and even coworkers due to my doubts. So I lurk.

To be honest, I still pray to Jehovah that I find the real truth. Right now I'm just trying to find a place where I can cope. I'm sure I will chime in here and there with many personal experiences that have fueled my doubts, but thats for another time and another thread.

Again thanks so much for the welcome, and I'm sure I'll be reading and posting more soon.

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light
    To be honest, I still pray to Jehovah that I find the real truth.

Careful with that. That's how I came into the Light. I prayed intensely for no reason I understand one night, asking Jehovah to understand the "real truth" the next morning I woke up unable to "believe" anything. This is when I was maybe 12 or 13. Not disappointment, not feeling like my prayer wasn't answered, pretty much like Jehovah answered me by giving me complete clarity on the illusions people around me were deeply ingrained in.

So yeah, God gave me the intelligence to question him and everything anyone says about him.

Welcome to the Light. Its like the sun, don't stare if it hurts, but its nothing to be afraid of. The truth will set you free.

Bring_the_Light

• BFD
    BFD

Hi, Pinky! I don't think I have formally welcomed you. Welcome. I like the spice you bring to the board already. 50 years! Wow! You prolly played phonographs in field circus.

And, Welcome to you too Indy. Glad you checked in. Sorry, it sounds like your's is another family just ripe to be ripped apart for the sake of the WT$. The truth hurts. You'll be ok.

BFD

• curlymoses
    curlymoses

I feel relieved to get some heartfelt feedback from others with experiences in connection with JWs and the WTS. After a year of "studying" I made my intentions clear that my decision to pursue baptism would be answered from my heart...in time. The two brothers were stumbling over each other to warn me of my hearts possible treachery. My wife was raised a JW, was DFed at one point for a time, and has been back for some time now. I want to be correct in my thinking, feeling, and acting. I value freedom, knowledge, responsibility, love, truth, and justice. I want to live in peace, balance, and harmony with the Universal Laws of Creation. And I want these things for my wife and child too. The information I'm learning online about the WTS has moved me to act. Everyone is responsible for themselves to the degree of their involvement and their level of understanding. In good conscience I don't see how I could ever be a JW at this time. I ask myself, who is responsible for all this putrid fruit? The Governing Body calls all the shots as I understand the hierarchy, thus I hold each of them accountable and whoever else is or has set policy from the top. I emphasize that my questions, concerns, doubts, challenges, examinations are directed towards and the result of the GB. My wife has at times defended the men of the GB whose names she doesn't know. Anyone see those Skip and Bobby pioneering videos on youtube? There's so much to get riled up about, it's a wonderful change of pace to be able to watch a video like these with my wife who did find them funny when she realized they were lighthearted. That was some clever JW humor. I appreciate the personal stories and info here. Thanks.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

OK, OK, I'm in...I'll start posting.

• HolyParrot
    HolyParrot

OK, I'll bite :)

I'm not a JW, never have been, I was raised protestant but am now an atheist.

The reason I've been lurking for the past year or so is because my wifes parents are, and it has been causing quite a bit of friction in the family. My wife was brought up in it but left at 18, never baptised, just stopped doing it when she was forced to leave home because of wordly things. I met her 8 years ago (she 30 by then) and was constantly bewildered by why I seemed to be being so harshly judged by her parents, and why they behaved so oddly on occasion. Now I know, and this site has taught me a helluva lot about what kind of behaviour to expect and how to react to it (especially when it comes to attempting to influence my own offspring).

So thanks everyone on here, your stories, whether sad or entertaining, are always informative.

I probably won't post much unless I've something specific I need to ask about, but I'll always be here.

PS. NO ONE else in the entire family is in, so we hold out the hope that one day they will just leave, let's just see.

HolyParrot

• snowbird
    snowbird

Welcome, Independent_Tre, Holyparrot, and CurlyMoses.

Come one, come all ... come running, but don't fall!

Sylvia

• wings
    wings

Welcome to all!!!

I look forward to hearing more from all of you.

wings

• dinah
    dinah

Great job, MM!!

• inthepink3355
    inthepink3355

BFD....hi,friend! Yes, I remember going w/ Bro. Roland Brown (was at Bethel late 20's early 30's} and my father in a sound truck he had built....we would drive thru neighborhoods .... speakers blazing news of a showing of the Photodrama of Creation. Hold it outdoors at dusk....viewers would bring their own chairs....and we had large enthusiastic crowds. This was in Columbus, Ohio in early 30's. SEE WHAT YOU MISSED BFD!!!! Pink. Loved my Dad...loved going with him on these showings. We had more freedom and even fun in those early days...picnics....corn roasts....the real tightening came later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit