What do you think when people tell you to just "move on"?

by Moxie 33 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

The shunning aspect of the cult known as Jehovah's Witnesses makes it very difficult for those who leave or are forced to leave to get over it and move on. I think it's kind of like the death of a close friend or relative; you eventually accept it, but it still hurts. Anyone who hasn't been through this type of grief will not understand.

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

When I hear that from someone I think "easier said than done!"

I agree especially with what Bonez and Ipsec said, respectively, that it's hard to move on as long as they are holding our families hostage; and it helps to accept that everyone is in this together, that we all feel pain and heartbreak, that we all deal with difficult things, and then find peace and enjoy our lives. It doesn't mean we won't have really difficult moments and feelings to deal with. It just means we recognize that we are not unique, and thusly not alone, in our trials.

I also agree with Sphere who said this is something often said by people who just don't want to hear what you have to say about something. And, frankly, that's human nature. We are all human and can be selfish sometimes, especially when we are dealing with our own difficult things. Perhaps someone saying it to you was just being thoughtless because they had something else on their mind?

I would say by posting here and finding commonality with people you ARE moving on, not letting it consume you, learning how to heal from what you have been through. I think it gets easier over time. It has so far for me, most days.

Peace,

Rachel

• iceguy
    iceguy

Hi Moxie,

This is my first time posting and this is the very thing I am having so much trouble with. There is a hurt inside of me that I feel will never go away and it has changed me. Even if I was to get reinstated i'm not sure all that hurt inside would go away. I had problems from my past that my wife told me to just "get over it "! She also left me a note saying to "get busy" and get reinstated because people in the congregation miss me. Funny though when I put in a letter to be reinstated they told me no "for the good of the congregation". It really confused me because if many in the congregation want me back then why did they still keep me out for the sake of the congregation ? Maybe they have some rule to refuse you on your first letter...does'nt matter if you pour your heart out in it. So I feel for you Moxie because it hurts and I wish I had a favorable answer but I have a feeling it will always be there so maybe thats why people tell us to "move on"?

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Bite my lip and try to pretend I did not hear it. If one has not had your experience it is difficult to hear "Just move on". I feel personally it

best to just be a listening ear and give an encouraging word as needed.

cheers!

hope4others

• alone
    alone

Moxie, I strongly identify with your feelings for a few reasons. Having recently left, it feels like I'll never get over this intense pain, grief & guilt. I do appreciate what Jamie Bowers said: anyone who has not been thru this type of grief will never understand it. I cut off my son because he d'a himself, (under duress from the elders, see previous post) & I allowed it not even knowing what the ramifications of that action would entail, being myself 2 years in the org. He was 16. The elders encouraged me to change the lock on the door because he was rebellious, & at least I didn't do that, but they did say that I should turn him out at 18. Me wanting to be a "good witness" & follow direction that is what I did. That year 1/2 he was home w/me what a nightmare, as he was intensly angry at me (rightfully so) & I just didn't understand, & was hurt & angry myself. I couldn't or didn't understand his feelings,in part because I wanted to be a perfect little witness & follow that direction. I did try to get him help, first at crisis intervention, just to establish basic rules in the household since he felt since he left org. he was entitled to do whatever he wanted. They were able to explain to him that he had to be home at a reasonable hour, had to go to school, some chores,etc. This helped, but our life together as mother & son was basically over. I did try different ways of building up his self esteem, & I took him to a therapist because I was afraid he might hurt himself. These measures were only stopgaps...nothing could repair the damage to our relationship over that year 1/2. The day of his 18th birthday I made it clear to him he had to call his uncle & see if he could live there, they had had a close relationship before we "came in the truth". When his uncle was on his way to our home to pick him up, my son begged me to let him stay, he said he would change, he said he would do well in school, not stay out beyond his curfew, be nice to me (not insolent & angry,etc) I refused. It broke me to do that....he was the closest thing to a family that I ever experienced...I felt connected to him in a way I never felt with anyone in my own family....we didn't speak for about a year...he went in the military & he would call me once in a while to ask for phone cards so he could call his girlfriend back home..I could tell he was desperate & extremely lonely, so the mother in me helped him out for a while. Shortly after that I spoke with a young witness girl, about 18, that I had spoken to my son.. she had that look on her face & said something about your not supposed to be doing that. I did feel guilty about it. I don't remember if we talked too much after that, but I do remember we spoke a few times about what a hard time he was having in the navy & how unhappy he was...I asked him to try to put his feelings in writing or draw me a picture....he did...one of his letters came with the return address reading Kurt Cobain...kurt cobain had recently committed sucicide...I called the navy because I was extremely worried that he might kill himself....wrong move again, he called me to tell me to ask me how I could do that to him...maybe a year later he called me to ask how I could put my religion ahead of my son...I gave some lame answer. We didn't speak again for maybe 7 years....3 years ago I wrote him a letter (encouraged by an understanding witness therapist to write to him & explain my feelings, how I was wrong in the many things I had done to him, betrayal, not listening to his feelings, many things...no response, I called him couple of times, no response, finally he took my call & let me know in no uncertain terms that he was over it, put it all in the past & had gotten on with his life...said if I had called a year before that things might have been different but now it was too late. I said now I had nothing...he said that was your choice. Again I was devastated, but went on in the org...next year I went back to the therapist & he suggested possibly going to see son directly, camp out at his doorstep if necessary,,,,I couldn't do it..still being a loyal one....the next year I called for another appt. w/therapist, we did a phone appt., 1/2 hour...he finally said if your in this much pain for this long a time you need to go into therapy on a regular basis to address possible long term issues....Shortly after that I left the org....am currently in therapy & my therapist is trying to strengthen me to focus on healing but not to count on a reconcilation...that to do so whould be setting myself up in case there is no reconciliation. The way I see it I will never heal or completely get over it unless there is forgiveness & a reconcilation. I may get to a point of regaining some strength & a focus, a life, some purpose, but I will always carry the pain of what I have lost...that will never go away...

As far as my son goes, while I can't speak for him, as his mother I believe that although he says he's put all this in the past, I know it's just buried..so deep within himself he can't even acknowledge that there is pain. He has had to do this just to go on with life & pursue & attain some of his goals..he has come along way on his own. When I tell my therapist I would like to establish a relationship with him and maybe be an instrument in his healing, she says that just like I made the decision to come to therapy, so he will have to acknowledge his own pain & someday do that for himself...and address his feelings at that time.

So, long story short, I think a person has to acknowledge their own pain & seek out help on their own to address those feelings, and they can only do that when they are ready to. At this point I think that to the degree that you can get help with these issues is the degree that you can move on....but some things unless they are resolved between both parties will have to be carried by both parties...because they live in you.

A.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I wonder what Adam Walsh thought when people told him to move on. Today he has a very successful TV show that is helping to bring murderers and rapists to justice.

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

Take it from me, I did move on. I came back to the world of Ex-JW-ness and this is waaay better than "moving on".

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TXd_y2DsoQQ

I used to hear the term WALK IT OFF. some shit just won't walk off or be moved on from. I think it is stupid for people that are not involved to just say Move on. It wreaks of laaziness and not wanting to deal with issues. We can move on (Hide our heads in the sand) or we can deal with it and then make it to where we can truly move on! Or pull a Hank Snow....

• escaped
    escaped

I cant move on.I think about therapy frpm time to time because I know I am not the person I am supposed to be. My parents were caught up in the home-school craze along with everything else the personal religious crazes of the congregation were at the time. Hey....we were told I would never see graduation from High School due to the fact the system was ending and accordingly I was home-schooled so I could become a full-time pioneer. I was jipped educationally, socially and emotionally. Stunted. Thats me.

Growing up as a home-schooled Witness I was ill-prepared for coping in real life and I made many stupid decisions. I have been out for many years but still hear them in my head. I may get over the Witnesses with some help but I doubt forgiveness will be a part.

• Layla33
    Layla33

I think all create our own realities and everyone walks their own path. When you are ready to move on, you will and not a moment before - and when you are ready to heal you will and you will look back and be amazed at how fascinating and strong the human spirit can be.

I don't walk other people's paths, because I realize everyone is different, but if someone asks me about the capabilities of people to overcome things and move on, I know the strength of the human spirit and I have seen people overcome and heal things that from the outside seemed impossible. So I know that you can get past the destructiveness of anything and that you can heal. If you are having true problems doing so, there is nothing wrong with asking for help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit