Real Estate/Travel Agent

by reneeisorym 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

Following Robert Allen's advice is a good way to go broke, get sued, and/or go to jail.

• oneairhead
    oneairhead

I am a real estate agent and have been one for about 4 years now.

I will tell you what a seasoned real estate agent told me when I was making the same decision you are making.

"The ones that make it are the individuals that have real estate to sell that they own."

I will tell you another thing that a wise person told me, "If you own real estate (not mortgaged) you will never go broke."

I have subscribed to 1/2 of that and own property to sell in addition to my other listings.

Hope this helps.

One

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

oneairhead- What do you mean, you own property to sell in addition to your listings? Like, when business is slow and you need to supplement your income you sell your own properties? Isn't that kinda like hocking jewelry?

• restrangled
    restrangled

Renee, I have several friends that passed their real estate exam and also know of 2 very established realtors....None of them are making money in this market. They see no relief in the future. One of the girls and her husband became millionaires in Chicago. He did the rehabs she did the purchasing.........they eventually had to file for Bankruptcy.....tried to start up here in Florida with all the foreclosures again and are not making a go of it. Keep in mind these are two very talented individuals.

I have no clue about travel, but do make my own arrangements on line. My husband and I have never, ever used an agent and we have been all over the world.

What about appraising? No matter what the market is, banks have to have property appraised whether it is for sale, going into forclosure etc.

If you find something fantastic, you can invest from that angle.

Just my take,

r.

• iceguy
    iceguy

Let me put it this way...20% of Real Estate Agents at the top make 80% of the money...the other 80% of the Real Estate Agents are fighting for the the other 20% of the money.

• oneairhead
    oneairhead

Fadeout,

Sort of, you can do that or you can get a line of credit, until things pick up.

One

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I agree with Iceguy. My family made their wealth in Real Estate. I got in later because I didn't want to do what my parents did. I'm a licensed loan officer since 2005. Before I went on my own I was my brokers top gun. I operate very different than most did during the greedy heyday. That's why I'm still around. If u can make a living at it, better to stick around. There will be a turn-around and it's better if u are ahead of the curve by being in the game. I rode through the big computer boom back in the 80's - 90's. That market went flat and I got out. Every market has it's cycles.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle
    find myself about 33 and still with the desire to have 3 kids

thanks - that's me and I still have so much living to do before children - but I do get broody.

Real Estate - I work quite closely with them as I'm involved in their advertising. It is go go and if you feel that you can 1. sell 2. people person 3. driven 4. don't mind working late and on weekends - Go for it. There is good money to be made.

I hope that you can find your little niche.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym
    find myself about 33 and still with the desire to have 3 kids

thanks - that's me and I still have so much living to do before children - but I do get broody.

I should have mentioned that my husband is 36. If I am 33, he will be 43. I know plenty of women who have kids later in life but 33 is pushing it for me more than most because my husband is older than me. I just want all of the kids grown before he's ready to retire. If I start having babies at 33, it will be at LEAST 37 before the last one is born and that puts him at 67 when they leave the house. That is pushing it for me.

Renee, I have several friends that passed their real estate exam and also know of 2 very established realtors....None of them are making money in this market. They see no relief in the future. One of the girls and her husband became millionaires in Chicago. He did the rehabs she did the purchasing.........they eventually had to file for Bankruptcy.....tried to start up here in Florida with all the foreclosures again and are not making a go of it. Keep in mind these are two very talented individuals.

I have really taken this kind of stuff into consideration. I don't know how the market will be doing in 2/3 years when I'm ready to get started. I also don't know how things are different where I live. I know from house shopping last year that housing prices haven't changed very much. I am sure that in California and Florida the housing prices change much more than they change here. I need to examine the local market.

I also have a great advantage that my husband can pay all of the bills by himself. We do not need my income to survive. My income just gives us cash to go out to eat/shopping/save for that vacation/add that deck we've been talking about .. you know ...

Thanks .. I still have so much to consider.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit