I'm having a crisis of decision on my masters major. Help!!

by White Dove 17 Replies latest jw friends

• White Dove
    White Dove

His signature is on the papers sent to the office, so I'm hoping all is set. I'm worried that something will stop me from graduating. He did say that all is OK so far.

• changeling
    changeling

What would make you happy? Do that. The money will follow.

changeling :)

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I know a lady that works for the county WIC office. She has been a social worker from Salinas, CA to Visalia and back hopping from county to county. She had to move out of her apartment because she could not afford half the rent on an $800 a month apartment, a $300 car payment, $90 car insurance, and her credit card debt. She got into payday advances and now owes even more and is behind two months on her car payment.

I think a lot has to do with how well off your county is. What I gather about state jobs is the pay may be ok, but the benefits are what keep them in. After a few years you get vested and they can never get rid of you unless you go and kill someone or something really bad like that. I read above about private SW careers and I think it may be good for you to look into that. Monitoring halfway houses, foster homes, and child custody cases by contract with the state could be more lucrative. Downside would be benefits I would guess.

I hope it goes well for you.

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

My daughter-in-law was a social worker for several years. You either have to learn not to care too much about your clients (many of whom are either children or have children) and the mess they continue to make of their lives despite everything you do for them, or you become a basket case yourself. Many of your cases will break your heart, especially the ones involving children.

You've got to learn to leave the job behind when you go home at night, to have your mind clear and relaxed so that you can have a normal home life. And yes, the pay is really poor and the hours long. We need good social workers, though, so if you can do it, more power to you.

SusanHere

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Can you switch to something in the medical field? Or counseling?

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I have a close friend who got a master in social work. He really discouraged me from going into when I was interested. He said it is a horrible job and you spend all day trying to help people, 99.9% of who don't want your help and don't make any positive changes. If you can set up a counsleing practice, and choose your clients, I think it is better.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

For all the above reasons, I'll reiterate: look into social psychology or even organizational/industrial psychology. Interesting work and good money.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Be aware of which kind of jobs will make you subservient to large bureaucracies. Even if you want to help people, social services usually entails wasting a lot while doing little.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit