I'm having a crisis of decision on my masters major. Help!!

by White Dove 17 Replies latest jw friends

• White Dove
    White Dove

I've heard some pretty nasty things about the social work field, such as little benefits, low pay, no respect, inefectiveness, undertrained supervisors, etc.

Now I worry if I'm getting into the wrong field.

I want to be in a helping field but need money and benefits.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Where do you live? Or, what industries are around you?

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I think that the SW issue depends greatly on what agency you work for and in what position. Some SW also work independently and set up their own practice.

What other master's choices do you have? Do you have a deadline?

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I know someone who has her masters in social work and psychology. I have no degree, much less of a title, work in a different industry and I make more than she does. Plus, she works nights, I work during the day. We are the same age.

• rekless
    rekless

It's kind of like the prosecutors field compared to the defense attorney field, they are in the same business but the defense team makes more.

If you want to help, get into the domestic violence area get acquainted with the police, DA and other agencies, discuss how you could help and you may get a leg up in the social workers field.

Some of the state acencies pay good but you are not going to get rich.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

WD,

I think the things you've heard probably have some foundation to them. On the other hand, that doesn't preclude finding a rewarding outlet for doing social work.

Also, you are still young enough that you might want to explore doing a gig in the Peace Corps after you are finished with school.

The other thing to do is to talk with as many people as possible in the prospective field to get their feedback.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Alex

• White Dove
    White Dove

In universities, does the department chair have the authority to say that you don't need to take one of the required classes in that dept? I want to graduate but he said that I don't need two of the required classes in that dept. Does he have that authority?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

If he says you don't need two required courses, than you don't need them. He may or may not have the authority by himself alone, but his signature on admins forms will put you ahead.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

BTW, my vote is for social psychology or something along those lines. Social work is a fast track to low pay and burn-out.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I just love Philip Zembardo's videos! Social Psychology stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit