What is the "world" we must not love?

by Awakened at Gilead 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    John2:15-17)15 Do not be loving either the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him; 16 because everything in the world—the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one’s means of life—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world. 17 Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever.

How do you understand this scripture after leaving JWs?

• garybuss
    garybuss

And I was wondering what world God loved so much in John 3-16 --- "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish . . ."

So . . . Is the "world" God loved so much the same "world" that we are not supposed to love?

Meow:-)

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

That is a tough question,

I stll carry the burden of the locked in Jw answer and response. Could you give me the Key to get it out?

LoL

hope4others

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

Well you know how that goes....

It can mean whatever you want it to mean. For me this scripture is just one version (among many) of great thought and teaching that recommends a life of simplicity.

If there is possibly one thing good that came out of being a Dub, it is that I see the futility in being unnecessarily materialistic. I live a pretty minimalist lifestyle--but it is by choice, not because I couldn't go out and buy tons of shit. The thing is that everything you own requires attention. It has to cleaned, waxed, polished, washed or in some other way taken care of. If you're not careful you can become a slave to the stuff.

Cheers,

Alex

• oompa
    oompa

Why? Whats on on your mind?...........oompa

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light
    John2:15-17)15 Do not be loving either the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him; 16 because everything in the world—the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one’s means of life—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world. 17 Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever.

How do you understand this scripture after leaving JWs?

It means the same thing it did in JW-Land. It is admonition of the cult leader to place the values of the cult above any wishes you may individually have. It is the making of an "us" and "them" construction which reinforces the brotherhood of the cult and alienates cult members from non-cult members. All it says is "we are special because we agree to not be like 'them' (the non-cult outside world)". If anyone else can find another place I can use the word "cult" in the above text, please let me know and I'll come back and edit. Thanks. Bring_the_Light

• trevor
    trevor

I think garybuss summed up the contradictory nature of all things written in the Bible.

Most scriptures mean whatever you want them to mean. In fact the verses that made it into the final compilation we call the Bible, only got there because they appeared to suit the intentions of the powers that compiled the Bible.

There are far better books to read. Why waste time on the Bible.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    Why? Whats on on your mind?...........oompa

My JW wife pulled this text out on me this morning before she went to the KH... saying that I was now loving the things in the world... My response was to ask how JWs view this text... that it "the world" means all non-JWs. Whereas I would view it as saying that there are moral standards we should follow and the need to avoid pride about the supriority of our material possessions. (per my Holman Bible). She left pretty smug about having told me off, though......lol So just wantyed to get your opinion on the "world" concept. GB summed it up well that the Bible says that God loved the world... now to think again, so do I.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

The scripture is speaking of materialistic desires over shadowing spiritual desires, obviously your wife is trying to imply guilt over you

for not going to the meetings, this is a common ploy that jws use to imply how zealously righteous I am and how evil and worldly you are.

My JW wife pulled this text out on me this morning before she went to the KH... saying that I was now loving the things in the world...

This comment just reeks of self - righteous vindication and is outwardly hypocritical on her part, nothing honest about that at all.

Which is quite typical for the majority of JWS.

I wonder if your wife would like a nice brand new dress to flaunt at the meetings and maybe a trip to Hawaii ...........

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

All Sisters love "the showy display of one's means of life" they buy a new dress each assembly because they "wore that one six months ago.." they buy jewlery and nice shoes to out-do each other....ask you wife to move into a tent and sell her possesions for the kingdom Hall fund....do you have a nice car...SHAME SHAME! "do not be loving the world {wickedness} or the {evil} things in the world." Of course we have to be part of the world otherwise we would all live in Bethelite communes and not have money or possesions or anything........your being criticized for loving logic and reasoning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit