early christians 144000

by joelbear69 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• glenster
  • leftbelow
    leftbelow

This is one of those things I believe can be used to show a clearly wrong view of the bible by the WBTS. If you just count the number Baptized in the bible you start to see the numbers add up. Then you have to assume two things. That only those mentioned in the bible where baptized during the 1st centrury (clearly unlikely) and a vast number of Christians over the years turned out to be unfaithful (doesn't say much for the chosen Christians does it). The taking of the 144,000 as a literal number is the most ridiculous doctrine they hold on to (and that is saying something) because it is really easy to dissprove. With every other crazy doctrine there is some wiggle room but not on this one.

• greendawn
    greendawn

A number found in a symbolic context can only be symbolic. Are they literally virginal, male, and jewish? No they are not as any dub would admit. Are they literally 144 000 in number? I don't think so.

Then look at the weak argument they present to support it, the other sheep that fill in after the 144 000 were supposedly completed, are they the soon to be gentile christians (not from, this, the jewish yard) or members of a queer minded sect that was to appear 2000 years later?

Obviously there were likely millions if not tens of millions of faithful christians around the world throughout 1900 years. And are JWs christians at all or some kind of jehovite judaic organisation pretending to be christian? What does the organisation of jehovah have to do with the church of Christ I wonder?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Ya know this is such an obvious point and yet I haven't thought about it until now. Bluesbrother's post about 40k killed in one year was quite interesting. Not all Christians lived in Rome. Also the WT has always said that between the first century and now, there have always been some annointed living. And now in our day how many partake? This is now running into the hundreds of thousands.

This is another example of a "what the f%&k was I thinking about back then?"

• ibme
    ibme

Just like to say,

Thanks Bluebrother, JWfacts, leftbelow, greendawn, and wha happened

for adding your view points.

From a historical and logical perspective but leaving out the self view point.

When someone puts in their own view point it is no better then those they
    disagree with.

The WBTS does enough of this with out others helping.

Again thanks joelbear69 for bring up the subject.

• dothemath
    dothemath

Excellent subject.......and very much an Achilles heel for the Society........

In time they'll have to drop the "literal" number as related to the anointed.

(Nice to see so many "doing the math")

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit