The United Nations warned yesterday that....

by Alpaca 29 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Always so histrionically vitriolic.

Always so with cacafuegos.

BTS

• changeling
    changeling

Problems such as hunger, homelessnes, illiteracy and many others would not exist if world leaders were trully concerned about people and not so much about power and money. The money spent on the current war alone could probably house, feed and educate most of the third world.

War sucks.

changeling :)

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

NGB,

The Bush Administration is doing it's best to relieve the problem in Iraq.

They hope to soon begin to thin out the Irani population as well.

Couldn't agree more!!!

Dan,

the tired statistic of us having 5% of the world's pop. and using more than our "share" of resources

The truth is that we are far from self-sufficient in the U.S. If we didn't have imported energy the lifestyles we are accusmtomed to would come to a screeching halt.

Additionally, the world has become a very small place and problems on the other side of the planet are going to eventually have repercussions here. I did not mean to start arguments on this thread, I merely wanted to point out that we are living through a time that will someday be viewed as a threshold time period in which world conditions changed dramatically.

Changling,

money spent on the current war alone could probably house, feed and educate most of the third world.

Absolutely...but then again, just below the skin, humans are animals and we often behave like animals.

Cheers to all,

Alex

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

OMG!! OMG!! The jehoovahs were right! We all need to go back to the hall and repent! Armageddon is upon us! LOL

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

LOL indeed, TOTH....

Typical Fundie fodder for scaring the dimwitted, the superstitious, and the weak minded.

Cheers,

Alex

• Layla33
    Layla33

I am starting not to believe that overpopulation is our issue, just like I am starting to have doubts about global warming. I think these are very well orchestrated fear tactics to keep us confused and manipulated.

These so called "third world countries" have been around more than most other civilizations, they have sustained themselves through the test of time. I think that Westernizing of the world, the rise of technology and all of this, while good and necessary for the progression of people has totally disrupted the natural balance of people and their way of life.

I am aware of a very real and present ideology to wipe out about 90% of the world population and the reasoning behind it is not only disturbing, but the justifications are leaked into our media and current events all the times. Forced steralizations still happen in this world and people justify it because of someone's poverty.

Bill Gate's father was huge in the eugenic field and preached about race extermination and helped found Planned Parenthood. Whenever I see this man in other countries, I am a bit suspicious.

Anyway, in the end Mother Nature will have the final say. I take all this propaganda with a grain of salt these days...

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Malnutrion of the world, is a pandemic as is many incurable diseases.

Shall our nations keep feeding the rest of the world , clothe them , fight their fights, and giving them medical aid supplies. We need to look in our own back yard and see that perhaps we can find ways to educate any who haven't had that chance in live to be taught. And in our own yard we have the same problems as the rest of the world but not with the same intensity. We have children going to bed hungry probably in our own town, on our street or our next door neighbour. Some children go to school looking like rag a muffins, WHY? they haven't got a lunch. WHY What is wrong with this picture?

Sure many are most likely victims . Are we the cause of our own self destruction?

Education is paramount. We must teach ourselves and the third world literacy. Show them how to take care of their national problems. If the USA and Canada and GB and other nations take from their own coffers we will be in big trouble ourselves. We are in fact in trouble now. Look at the cost of OIL, WHEAT, DAIRY, GASOLINE. HYDRO.

I am grateful for men like David Suzuki and the Cousteau Family and Green peace, WWF, WHO and any other people working to solve our global problems. Even individual like ourselves.

We have a lot of resources it is just that greedy individuals and corrupt governments take for themselves first and they don't give a darn about their own people just themselves and their families and firends and maybe their military mercanaries or terrorist. Yes we ourselves experince this too but not to the extent of other lands. Look at the KKK or the Neo Nazi's are they any different from the rest of the world. They propagate hatred.

The Oceans of this planet are viable for food, it is being done to protect us as a nation, and not worry about hunger .

Fishing done by the Asian countries it dispicable. They horde the fish they take the fish that are just so small and they don't have time to propagate the seas. They need to know that fishing is okay to some extent. but taking the baby fish leaves no oppourtunity for them to go further into the oceans of the world. With our planet being more that 3/4 water surely we can do fish farming as is now being done in many lands. The oceans can be a growing bed of food supplies in the massive bubble domes that lay on the bottom of the ocean. There are places that are working feverishly to preserve the animals of the planet.

I saw a recent documentrary on Africa. Science couldn't figure out why for several years the animals are disappearing well the problem is this that every several years they eat fish and then all of a sudden the fish population is getting lower on account of some change in the eco systems so when this occurs they start on the larger animals for food and this has been going on for thousands of years apparently. There is no balance in anything. And wild animals are close to extinction.

I strongly believe that birth control has got to be implimented in nations with populations close to billions. We must do something to stop the earth from continuing to grow and grow and grow. I prefer to see that happen rather then women getting abortions. I believe educated people know this but for some reason the other lands don't get it. I partly blame the Catholic Church they don't want people to use birth control. They want more and more memebers to keep the growth up in the church. Stupid reasoning I believe. And the governemt what on earth are they doing ? Ignoring the problems. Putting their noses in waring countries. Peace keeper are a laugh they can't keep the peace there is far to many acts of violence and bombings.

And global warming, when I see huge massive hunks break free from the glaciers I worry. It shouldn't be happening. We must do our part in trying to make this problem from getting any worse. I know we are only individuals but if we support those doing all they can to save the planet then we should help them if is with in our means. Of cousre the junk in our outer space doesn't help. There probably more junk in space then on earth. Computers, cells, batteries, TV, are filling land fills so fast and this stuff doesn t go into a degradable stage. Only heaps of rusted metals. I am glad to know that in some way people are now learning the true meaning of recycling. The bones of those things can be repaired, parts recycled, and I just bet there are plenty of young people that could learn how do this. We don't have to keep filling land sites, but reuse and refurbish what exists already.

I know this is a little long but I know this for a certainity. God will not allow the planet to be destroyed or blown into oblivion. Rather our planet is good and viable and we need to reach out and work at keeping it this way. The earth isn't the problem it is the people. People destroy people and they will pay the price. People destroy the rain forests, People destroy ecological systmes they deforestate and what ever else they can destroy. If God does intervene it is because he has to. Imagine the armaments that several nations of this world are hording and for what ? Just to say hey i am bigger and better than you. All we need are idiots and terrorist like Obama bin ladan, or other groups known for terrorist attacks, what would happen it they used them ? Well apparently that can't happen because the Bible says the earth abides forever.

We will need to pay a hefty price for our stupidity because that is what it seems to boil down to, They don't care like they should but then again thank God for those who are workiing vigorouly to safe our planet and our food supply and our land we need to take things by the bull horns and SAVE OUR PLANET. Lets not self destruct or kill each other but instead love one another and try and protect our enviroment at all cost. Gee plant a tree hug a tree, smell the grass, feel inbetween your toes, love the smell of lilacs, and all the other beautiful plant life. Enjoy our earth. It is our playground. This applies to everyone everywhere on this earth.

Advocates are trying to save the planet, save our rain forests, protect our animals , plant in our own spaces, lets work at peace and being kinder to one another and by so doing we will survive a disaster almost certain to occur if we don't take the steps right this minute to save our earth. Our children are our legacy what will we pass onto them? Let it be a beautiful restored planet. Edicated them and ourselves for a better world.

Are we drowning or killing off men, animals, forest, rivers , oceans and seas ? Let that not be the case.

Orangefatcat

I found this info on the net and I realize it is long but hey isn't our earth worth it?

We've got to Save Our Planet Earth!

Oh, No! Our earth is in trouble, and we've got to save it!

Oh, No!: Bad Facts about our earth

• If you throw away 2 aluminum cans, you waste more energy than 1,000,000,000 (one billion) of the world's poorest people use a day.
    • Making a new can from scratch uses the uses the energy equal to half a can of gasoline.
    • About one third of what an average American throws out is packaging.
    • More than 1,000,000,000 (one billion) trees are used to make disposable diapers every year.
    • In one minute, 50 acres of rainforest are destroyed.
    • Some rain has a pH of 3 or 4. (which is pretty acidic, considering 7 is neutral, not acidic, and battery acid has a pH of 1). Some fish, such as lake trout and smallmouth bass, have trouble reproducing at a pH of 6, which is only slightly acidic. Some clams and snails can't survive at all. Most crayfish are dead at a pH of 5. You can see how bad this is for the environment.
    • On average, a person in the US uses energy two times more than a person in Japan or West Germany does, and 50 times more than a person in India.
    • About 90% of the energy used in lighting a standard (incandescent) light bulb is lost as heat.
    • Air conditioning uses 10 times more energy than a fan, therefore, it creates 10 times the pollutants.
    • It takes half the output of the Alaskan pipeline to heat the air that escapes from all the homes in the US during a year.
    • Cars and pick-up trucks are responsible for about 20% of the carbon dioxide released into the air.
    • There are about 500 million automobiles on the planet, burning an average of 2 gallons of fuel a day. Each gallon releases 20 pounds of carbon dioxide into the air.
    • About 80% of our trash goes to landfills, 10% is incinerated, and 10% is recycled.
    • Since there is little oxygen underground, where we bury our garbage, to help bacteria eat the garbage, almost nothing happens to it. Scientists have dug into landfills and found ears of corn still intact after 20 years, and newspapers still readable after 30.
    • The average American makes about 3.5 pounds of trash a day.
    • In a year, the average American uses as much wood in the form of paper as the average resident of the developing world burns as fuel.
    26 things we can do to help:

1. Turn off lights.
    2. Turn off other electric things, like TVs, stereos, and radios when not in use.
    3. Use rechargable batteries.
    4. Do things manually instead of electrically, like open cans by hand.
    5. Use fans instead of air conditioners.
    6. In winter, wear a sweater instead of turning up your thermostat.
    7. Insulate your home so you won't be cold in winter.
    8. Use less hot water.
    9. Whenever possible, use a bus or subway, or ride your bike or walk.
    10. Try to buy organic fruits and vegetables if you're concerned about pesticides. (Organic food is grown without man-made fertilizers and/or pesticides).
    11. Don't waste products made from forest materials.
    12. Use recycled paper and/or recycle it. Reuse old papers.
    13. Don't buy products that may have been made at the expense of the rainforest.
    14. Support products that are harvested from the rainforest but have not cut down trees to get it.
    15. Plant trees, espessially if you have cut one down.
    16. Get other people to help you in your cause. Make and/or join an organization.
    17. Avoid products that are used once, then thrown away.
    18. Buy products with little or no packaging.
    19. Encourage your grocery store sell environmentally friendly cloth bags for people to use when they shop, or bring your own.
    20. REDUCE, REUSE, & RECYCLE.
    21. Compost.
    22. Buy recycled products.
    23. Don't buy pets taken from the wild.
    24. If you have a good zoo nearby, (if the animals are healthy and the zoo takes care of them), support it! Espessially if they help breed endangered animals.
    25. Don't buy products if animals were killed to make it.
    26. Cut up your six-pack rings before throwing them out.

• Layla33
    Layla33
    Third world countries being the number one destroyer of our planet

That is just a very biased opinion, whereas there are a lot of other information that suggests otherwise. Namely industry and biochemicals as a number one destroyer of our planet...

The world and its people have weathered many storms, but the worse of all is ignorance. And there is nothing worse than an educated stupid person.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

We have a large population on Earth, and a lot of it is young.

We will have more "Einstein's" in the next 30 years than at anytime in history.

Every mouth to feed comes with two hands to work, and several billion neurons to think.

There is a tremendous untapped human potential.

The glass is half full.

Let's get off this rock already.

You doomers have always been wrong, and you will be again.

We can innovate ourselves out of this, so let's stop wringing our hands!

BTS

I agree, I believe we have the capacity to do a lot. I for one can see many possibilities and I am no Einstein. My anarchist side would like to see this world crumble but I am hopeful and I am trying to be part of the solution and not the problem.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Layla I am far from biased.

I am not saying that they are the worlds number one problem but what they do is destroy the Rain Forest, the Majestic trees that are thousand s of years old, they horde they kill and have no respect what so ever for human life and animal life. I guess we can say that is a global problem but i have no hatret or biase to anyone. We are all to blame.

Orangefatcat will remove that line from her post and apoligize if I offended anyone.

OFC.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit