The United Nations warned yesterday that....

by Alpaca 29 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

We'll pull through.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

We will probably pull through...but at what cost??? There are so many major threats to world stability coming down the pike all at once that our global society is probably going to be reeling from one hit after another for a long time to come.

What makes this generation so different from any other that has ever existed is the size of the earth's population. We are in totally uncharted waters and even the best and brightest thinkers can, at best, speculate about how the future will unfold with the population at the size it is.

Unfortunately, rather than confront the problems, the Fundies, including the Dubs, will start with their Apocalyptic babble rather than dealing with the real problems at hand.

Alex

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

To be somewhat blunt I think they need to start sending some form of birth control along with the food shipments. There are too many people living in areas that are already marginal, and unable to support the population sizes we've artificially propped up. HEAR, HEAR

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

We have a large population on Earth, and a lot of it is young.

We will have more "Einstein's" in the next 30 years than at anytime in history.

Every mouth to feed comes with two hands to work, and several billion neurons to think.

There is a tremendous untapped human potential.

The glass is half full.

Let's get off this rock already.

You doomers have always been wrong, and you will be again.

We can innovate ourselves out of this, so let's stop wringing our hands!

BTS

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

It's ironic that our success as a species(overpopulation) is also our biggest problem.

More humans are surviving into adulthood and living longer than ever before in human history.

The Bush Administration is doing it's best to relieve the problem in Iraq.

They hope to soon begin to thin out the Irani population as well.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

It's ironic that our success as a species(overpopulation) is also our biggest problem.

More humans are surviving into adulthood and living longer than ever before in human history.

The Bush Administration is doing it's best to relieve the problem in Iraq.

They hope to soon begin to thin out the Irani population as well.

A resource war seems to be the wrong way to go about this. If the funds had been invested in research/development instead?

Of course the war was sold based on a security rationale.

With respect to Iran, if an apocalyptic theocracy that seeks nuclear weapons is not a worrisome security threat..........

Read up on "twelver" beliefs, Achmadinejad is a Shia Twelver. He thinks he can immanentize the eschaton.

BTS

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    A resource war

A resource war?

Are you thinking I'm suggesting that the Bushies are helping by securing oil supplies?

I was referring to all the killing being done of men, women and children.

They're doing a lot to reduce the Iraqi population.

Your friend is doing his part.

He has killed more people over there than cancer.
    He is 22.
    He is going back this month.
    (H)e made creaming someone with a .50 cal sound better than sex.
    A little freaky IMHO, but I guess if you are in you rights to shoot someone you shouldn't feel guilty.
    He is not going back because he has to, he wants to. He got hired with a contractor to provide security.
  • BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Are you thinking I'm suggesting that the Bushies are helping by securing oil supplies?

No, and if you read my comment without the idiot glasses on you would see that this is not what I am saying. I am saying that a resource war is the wrong way to go. It is a misinvestment.

I think you are being deliberately dense so you can pillory a straw man.

You do not know my friend, you do not know what circumstances he was under or what had to be done to even continue living. When shot at you shoot back. It is a war.

I recommend you drop the subject.

BTS

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Not to start anything here, but a large factor in why us Americans use more than our "share" of natural resources is because the land in our country is resource-rich. Resource-rich nations are going to use more resources than non-resource-rich nations. Also, they have more bargaining power with other resource-rich nations, creating a higher economy. This isn't meant to justify not helping anyone, but the tired statistic of us having 5% of the world's pop. and using more than our "share" of resources can be a little misleading. It's very simple: if you have a large population and not many natural resources, you're in bad shape.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    idiot glasses

Always so histrionically vitriolic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit