I backed off my anti WTBS talk and God showed up...

by kzjw 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Sounds like you might have some real progress there, KZ! I hope that it DID hit your wife, the similarities with her own predispositions and beliefs and the ones she was calling "stupid".

And Hortensia... I have a story that rolls right along with your quote, "I remember an article many many years ago in the WT that seriously discussed whether or not a JW should stop and help a DF woman with a flat tire. The answer, and I am shocked still, was well maybe, if she was on the way to the KH for the meeting. My god!!!"

A dear friend of mine was disfellowshipped, and living and working about three miles from the KH. He walked to every single meeting. Did his parents, who conveniently passed his one-room apartment along the way, pick him up? No.

So one day, it was pouring down rain. I was in the car with my parents, and... you guessed it... we pass him, walking to the KH in the pouring rain. In his suit. On a dirt road. (The Kingdom Hall was on a dirt road, I know it sounds like I'm embellishing now, but no, I'm not kidding.)

Every Elder passed him by. Every family member of his passed him by. Every "loving Christian Brother" passed him by. And THAT was my first real taste of the bitterness and insanity I had been in denial of for so many years.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Good for you!!

Once, when visiting my brother in Alabama many years ago, I borrowed his car to go to the KHall. It was, I think, a Vega or some such car. At any rate, I could not get the key out when I parked. I did not know that you had to push or pull something for it to come out. So I went into the Hall, met a couple of people, and told them my problem. The first woman said she didn't know anything about cars, but introduced me to a "brother" who couldn't be bothered getting up out of his chair. He just told me to leave the key in it, that it would be O.K. in the parking lot.

I left the key in the car, feeling terrible for the whole meeting. What if someone stole the car? I got out of there after the meeting in a hurry, anxious to return the car to my brother, feeling down because no one seemed to care. So much for southern hospitality in the KHall.

• poppers
    poppers
    "But consider a less extreme situation. What if a woman who had been disfellowshiped were to attend a congregational meeting and upon leaving the hall found that her car, parked nearby, had developed a flat tire? Should the male members of the congregation, seeing her plight, refuse to aid her, perhaps leaving it up to some worldly person to come along and do so? This too would be needlessly unkind and inhumane. Yet situations just like this have developed, perhaps in all good conscience, yet due to a lack of balance in viewpoint."

Yeah, change her tire when she's parked near the KH so they don't make themselves look bad. If they came across someone who was in a similar situation but on a public street nowhere near the KH would there be the same reaction, or if they knew she hadn't just been to a meeting? The human response is to help someone in need no matter who they are, but that gets trumped by religious doctrine in most instances in witness life.

• real one
    real one

wow - not one of them offered to help their own "sister?" I remember an article many many years ago in the WT that seriously discussed whether or not a JW should stop and help a DF woman with a flat tire. The answer, and I am shocked still, was well maybe, if she was on the way to the KH for the meeting. My god!!! This is an outrage! Would Jesus help? I would say yes so what makes them better than Jesus? not a thing! This makes me so angry!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit