An apostate experiment - what would happen?

by slimboyfat 19 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

What would happen if a copy of Crisis of Conscience and a short well-written covering letter were sent to every single Jehovah's Witness worldwide?

I realise this is not practical and probably dubious morally, but that is not the point of my question. Call it a thought experiment if you will.

What do you reckon would be the net effect? Would Witnesses start to "wake up" en masse, or at least enough of them start talking about problematic issues, and build up momentum in leaving or changing the organization? Or would it have the effect of helping a few unhappy Witnesses put the dots together and make the final leap to leave whereas before they had been dithering. On the other end of the spectrum would the net effect actually be to embolden the Witnesses in their resolve not to believe apostate propaganda? Would it dent Witness growth sizeably, not at all, or would it actually perversely help Witness growth? I am really interested in your opinions.

The reason I have been thinking about this is that a few posts and experiences I have read on this board recently have really made me think again about what makes a Witness leave the organization and what brings it about. At one extreme you might take the view that Witnesses only ever leave "when they are ready" within themselves, and that outside information has little impact. It just happens to come along "at the right time". I have begun to wonder however whether this is a bit fatalistic. It also rather conveniently absolves me of any responsibility to try to convince others that the Witnesses are wrong. I can just leave them to figure out for themselves whether it suits them to be Witnesses or not and not worry about influencing them one way or the other. On the other hand, what if a sizeable number of Witnesses would leave the organization if only they were exposed to enough damning information? What if they are really just waiting to be told, and "woken up" as it were. If that is the case, then doesn't that make us all a bit responsible for helping them?

When I think about myself and my history, I really do wonder if I might have realised the Witnesses don't have the truth much sooner if only I had access to the information I now have earlier. Of course I might have just brushed it aside because I was "not ready to hear it". But I really doubt that would have been my response to be honest. I think I would have just got to this point faster. My life might have been a whole lot different. It makes you wonder doesn't it. But then you can never tell I suppose.

But rather than sending apostate information unsolicited to homes like in the thought experiment above, I like the idea of simply making books available in public libraries and other public sites, and the Internet of course. Not to shove the information down the throat of Witnesses, but let them know it is there if/when they want it.

Slim

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse
    When I think about myself, I really do think I might have realised the Witnesses don't have the truth much sooner if only I had access to the information I now have.

Definitely true in my case as well. People are discovering the truth for what it is in far greater numbers now because they have access to the information - the internet. I think the vast majority of JW's if given a copy of CoC would not read it though. I think the best way to get people thinking is to force change within the WBTS. Legal action...threaten their money supply. The information if available on the internet once people start questioning the changes.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I can bet your bottom dollar that 98% of them would end up in the landfills, unread. The witlesses are programmed to throw out any apostate literature.

The 2% that would read them are probably already on their way out, and that would likely firm their resolve to not go back into the cancer. More effective would be to send Crisis of Conscience to every study. That would cause the studies to drop out like flies, as probably 80% of them would actually read it. Then the territories would produce nothing, attendance would stagnate, and people would quit out of discouragement.

• Switch
    Switch

Slim, I'd love for lots of people to see Crisis but they'd never read it. I myself would never have dreamed that I'd be on this site 6 mos. ago. Just from reading experiences on here and in discussions with my mom and in-laws, I can see how each one reacts differently to information. I suspect that my father-in-law (an elder) knows more about what's wrong with the WTS than he lets on. But I'd still be surprised if he ever leaves it. Just as each individual has reasons that attracted them to the org., they have very personal reasons for leaving it too. Crisis shows lots of flip-flops and bad decisions but the average witness would probably still dismiss it as imperfection. I don't think they'd see the bigger issue of how wrong things are. That's IF they even read more than a few pages.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I had never read any "apostate" material before being df'd as an "apostate"...

From what I read later, I can easily imagine that some of it might have scared me back into the JWs, even though temporarily, had I come across it too early (I'm not speaking of CoC which is certainly the all-time best in the category). But, of course, I don't know, how could I?

I like the idea of public libraries and db. I'm usually wary when someone wants me to read something. Curiosity is far more effective.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I think WT Wizard's idea would work best, get the book into the hands of new study's. Alot of JW's would toss the book and not even read it.

I still haven't read Crisis of Conscience myself, maybe someday I will.

What woke me up to their lies and deception was discovering that they had changed the definition of "a generation" back in 1995. I knew full well it was all a lie after that.

• rache31
    rache31

As silly as it sounds, I was afraid to read anything. I had a friend and a nephew, same age as I am, that encouraged me to research things. I thought that meant in the society's publications. They laughed at that notion. When I finally decided to read something it just made so much sense to me. I was convinced that I needed to make that final stand for myself. I also wanted to know what was so bad about these internet sites we were always warned about. And so here I am...

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

What got me to read Crisis of Conscience was Timothy Campbell's Beyond Jehovah's Witnesses website. It presents the information in a non-threatening manner. In-your-face apostates always scared me when I was a Witness. If you could find a way to get more Witnesses to read the BJW website, then more would decide to read CoC on their own.

Dave

• 5go
    5go

Waste of time better spent living your life. They will come out when they are ready to come out for the most part.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I only searched on the Internet and opened books when I had already opened my mind. I remember it very clearly: I sat down at my desk, holding my head in my hands, and acknowledged to myself that my faith was gone. Only then did I have the strength to listen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit