On National Public Radio Today: This I Believe

by BurnTheShips 15 Replies latest jw friends

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

*sigh* I rest my case...............

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

Thanks for the links, BTS and Chickpea. Imagine, organizations that actually help people.

"This I Believe" has long been a favorite stop on the web for me. I almost always come away with something to ponder.

Kiva.org sounds like a great idea also. I'm gonna check them out, maybe open an account.

OK, I'll say it . . . Shawn, you're a tool.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Aside from Shawn's comments, this is a beautiful thread. Thanks for all the links and information regarding charities that truly do make a difference. The WTBTS could sure take a lesson from those truly following Christ's example when it comes to tangible 'feeding' and 'consoling' of the poor and less fortunate, specifically the Catholic Church!

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

You don't need to be a christian to be charitable, there are many worthwhile causes that don't involve religion.

As for the bread making her feel as Jesus had come alive in her mouth, i feel belongs with fairies at the bottom of my garden.

Paul

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

When we lived in California several different churches banded together to provide a free meal once a week to the homeless people living in a public park. We'd cook the meal at home, then my husband and sons would take it to the park and serve it free to any who were there.

This made quite an impression on our sons, who saw the homeless up close, spoke with them, and served them one to one. One of my sons was deeply troubled to see a man walking in the rain and the mud, with no shoes and barely enough clothes to keep warm. Those Saturday meals changed his world view forever.

Compassion comes through service. There's never a shortage of ways to ease the burdens of others.

SusanHere

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

SusanHere, it is very rewarding. My wife and I do volunteer work in some local soup kitchens during the Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter holidays. We have recieved much more than we give.

Thanks again to BTS and Chickpea for the links and this topic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit