On National Public Radio Today: This I Believe

by BurnTheShips 15 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I enjoyed today's Essay on the "This I Believe" segment, Just wanted to share it. My wife turned me on to a local charity. I am considering ways I can help too. I've been out of the dubs long enough now that I think there is need for me to find a way to help others. Anyways, this essay made me think while on the drive home.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90133974

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

That's my kind of religious person. If you're going to be an idiot, you may as well be a useful idiot.

All sacriligious joking aside, I do really like how religion can be a forum for sharing in ways people don't otherwise get to share. Many are attracted just out of a desire to "express" that they are a good hearted person that loves. I've met a lot of highly religious people who don't believe in god any more specifically than i do.

• chickpea
    chickpea

my younger son turned 17 this week..... he opened an email from me that told him he had $50 in an account with kiva.org

about kiva.org>>>>

Kiva's mission is to connect people through lending for the sake of alleviating poverty.

Kiva is the world's first person-to-person micro-lending website, empowering individuals to lend directly to unique entrepreneurs in the developing world. ( dozens of lenders laon small amounts of money to amass the loan request of entreprenuers.... i have two $25 loans out.... one to a woman in azherbijan and one to a woman in cambodia

he has one year to decide who he will loan his money to, and once repaid, he can withdraw it.... or he can continue to lend it to individuals who are struggling to break the grip of poverty

for his first birthday outside the b0rg, i wrote that i hoped he would come to understand that there will always be poorer people who will benefit from the generous nature of people who recognized their obligations to serve..... i wished him a generous life in service to humanity

• parakeet
    parakeet

About 5 or 6 years ago, a JWD poster hit some hard times and went to a similar food bank (I believe that bank was connected to the Catholic church). And just like this one, that food bank handed out food to anyone who showed up, even if they drove up in a Cadillac. I was impressed by the compassion that led people to give their time and money to help others.

Whether it's a religious or humanitarian impulse to help others, the result is the same -- kindness and compassion -- human beings at their best.

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light
    i have two $25 loans out.... one to a woman in azherbijan and one to a woman in cambodia

Cool! what kind of interest are you raking in on those bad boys? I've heard that fleecing the poor is a pretty good racket.

• chickpea
    chickpea

they are no interest loans.... kinda the charity angle getting played here

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

Thanks for the links Burn. I was very moved by the audio of the lady who was converted. Christianity isn't just about filling your head with knowledge. We have to take an active roll in helping and caring for one another. Sometimes we have little pity parties and then we realize that most other people have it so much worse. I've taken communion for the past four years and it means a lot to me. I would love to attend a Messianic seder some day.

Matthew 25:35-40 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

I don't get it. She gave Christ a blow job? ("Jesus was alive and in my mouth.")

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Shawn: Are you sure you're 33? Not 13?

Anyway I heard this on NPR today and found it quite touching.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Yes, I agree! Blow jobs are extremely touching. Everytime I get one i just tear up. It's so beautiful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit