FALSE ACCUSATIONS/INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY: DO YOU CARE????

by berylblue 16 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• berylblue
    berylblue

I like to post this from time to time, on various boards -----No, it never goes over well, because people infer things which I am not attempting to convey. I am merely pointing out that sometimes, when we are SOOOOOOOOOO damned certain about the guilt of a certain person or persons.... we are wrong. No, th case in the hyperlink below does not, on the surface, resemble the Mormon case. The growing hysteria, however, DOES.

KELLY MICHAELS

In addition, false accusations in this country abound. In divorces, it's so common it has a name: SAID (Sexual Allegations in Divorce). Are you mad at your ex? Want to make his life a living hell? Want sole custody of the kids? TELL CPS HE BEATS YOU - or better yet, that he BEATS and RAPES THE KIDS! Not only will you get custody, you'll get ALL HIS MONEY and HE WILL BE IN JAIL!!!!! I have actually heard women TALK ABOUT ACCUSING THEIR EXES OF HORRIBLE THINGS SO AS TO GET CUSTODY OF THE KIDS. HONEY, you don't DESERVE TO BE A MOTHER if you MAKE UP LIES SUCH AS THAT. In fact, you deserve to be in PRISON if you falsely accuse your ex of such heinous crimes.

SAID

Quite frankly, I am dismayed at the sheer number of persons willing to believe the worst about another human without any facts on which to base her opinion. It's so easy to assume that someone arrested for rape was guilty - because we need to believe the culprit was caught. Because we need to believe we are better than the accused.

But what if there was no rape? What if it was all a lie? How would you feel knowing that someone spent 20 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit - and YOU wholeheartedly supported that sentence?

IN ADDITION, I ENDORSE PRISON SENTENCES FOR PROVEN FALSE ACCUSERS OF SENTENCES AT LEAST AS LONG AS THE SENTENCE THE FALSELY ACCUSED PERSON WOULD HAVE GOTTEN. Throw some of these falsely accusing women in prison and maybe others will have second thoughts.

It behooves all of us, when faced with a situation where emotions are quick to bubble over - to consider all the facts before denouncing someone as a polygamist, child abuser, pedophile, rapist, etc.

I realize mine is not a popular viewpoint. But I feel I must speak out every so often.
    The information is all over the internet about false accusations. It's up to you to care enough to research the facts. And trust me, you WILL begin to care ----- when it's someone YOU love who is the accused.

Kelly Michaels' nightmare began on Apil 30, 1985 when a four-year-old boy who was a student of hers at the Wee Care Day Nursery said, when a nurse put a thermometer in his rectum, "That's what my teacher does to me at nap time at school." When asked what he meant, the boy replied, "Her takes my temperature."

That one comment--easily capable of an innocent interpretation--began a criminal investigation that would lead to Michaels being charged with 131 counts of sexual abuse against twenty children. She allegedly raped and assaulted her three to five-year-old charges with knives, spoons, and Lego blocks. Prosecutors also contended she licked peanut butter off of the children's genitals, played piano in the nude, and made the kids drink her urine. All of this abuse, according to prosecutors, somehow went unnoticed by other teachers, parents, or administrators during the seven months she worked at the Wee Care Nursery. Michaels, age twenty-six, would be convicted of 115 counts of abuse, and in 1988 sentenced to forty-seven years in prison.

The blame for this travesty of justice must rest largely on investigators and prosecutors. "Believe the children" became the motto for the trial.

Division of Youth and Family Service Investigators, convinced of Michaels' guilt and determined to uncover the full extent of her treachery, repeatedly questioned children about possible sexual abuse. Most children said at first that they liked Kelly and that she did nothing wrong. Investigators called this "the denial phase." The investigators pressed on, pulling out implements and anatomically correct dolls, telling them that other kids had revealed Kelly's misdeeds, telling them that Kelly was in jail. Kids want to please adults. They are easily moved to change answers by suggestive questions. Eventually the kids provided the answers investigators were looking--indeed, hoping--to hear.

Parents were given "symptom charts," and asked to report behavior that might be indicative of past sexual abuse--things like bedwetting and nightmares. Not surprisingly, symptoms were found.

In the atmosphere of intimidation and moral hysteria, those that should have come forward to defend Michaels did not. Other teachers said later that they believed expressions of support for Michaels might have led to the filing of charges against them as well.

Dorothy Rabinowitz, writing about the Michaels case in Harper's Magazine, offered this reflection on the case:

We are a society that, every fifty years or so, is afflicted by some paroxysm of virtue--an orgy of self-cleansing through which evil of one kind or another is cast out. From the witch-hunts of Salem to the communist hunts of the McCarthy era to the current shrill fixation on child abuse, there runs a common thread of moral hysteria. After the McCarthy era, people would ask: But how could it have happened? How could the presumption of innocence have been abandoned wholesale? How did large and powerful institutions acquiesce as congressional investigators ran roughshod over civil liberties--all in the name of a war on communists? How was it possible to believe that subversives lurked behind every library door, in every radio station, that every two-bit actor who had belonged to the wrong political organization posed a threat to the nation's security?

Years from now people doubtless will ask the same questions about our present era--a time when the most improbable charges of abuse find believers; when it is enough only to be accused by anonymous sources to be hauled off by investigators; a time when the hunt for child abusers has become a national pathology.

• Terry
    Terry

I remember watching George Bolet teach a Master class of piano and hearing him tell the extremely talent student who had just finished banging out a remarkable cadenza from Rachmaninoff...

"If every note, every phrase, every line of your performance is a "peak moment", then--in effect--you make it impossible for a peak moment to exist. You must begin down here, quietly and build your momentum and interest so that when something really important and dramatic is about to happen you HAVE SOME WAY OF COMMUNICATING IT."

It is worth thinking about.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I think it is a good idea to keep this in mind. No justice system is perfect. Sometimes a guilty person goes free, and sometimes and innocent person is convicted. But I think because the principle of the accused being "innocent until proven guilty" is so engrained in the US legal system, we get much more errors that allow guilty people to go free than convictions of innocent people.

That's not to say we should make light of those cases were innocent people are wrongly convicted. I've seen some discussions and books advising women to make false accusations of abuse to gain the upper hand in divorces. We have gender specific laws (Violence Against Women's Act) that make this pretty easy. But even with the normal laws there are risks. And I agree that people who make false accusations should face the same penalty their false accusations would have brought to the accused. I won't even begin to try to imagine what it must be like to be molested as a child, and perhaps I shouldn't make this rape comparison, but nevertheless, I have wondered to myself, whether I would rather be raped or false accused of rape if I had to choose. Even if some guy overpowered me, depending on the injuries, the physical injuries could be temporary though the emotional mental injuries could be permanent. But just the accusation of sexual harrassment can blacklist a guy for the rest of his life. Of course, as a guy, I don't face the same physical risks that women and children face (though most acts of violence are against men), but the risk of false accusation certainly is a factor in my behavior and where I will go.

All that said, as far as the US legal system goes, I don't think we need to push the boundaries of "innocent unitl proven guilty" any further. The principles and laws we have will work if executed correctly. But certainly the penalties for false accusers should be increased. And I don't think that would be any deterrance to those who were actually raped or abused. The same principle of "innocent until proven guilty" would apply to those accused of making a false accusation. And because our justice system tends to make more errors in that direction, I'm sure we would have some situations where it can't be proved that a rape occurred or that the person made false accusation.

• berylblue
    berylblue

Terry, if someone you loved had been falsely accused, and his life destroyed, you wouldn't think much about tuning it down. I'm assuming that's what you meant. So don't expect me to be tuning it down any time soon. With some persons, you need to hit them over the head constantly and with force. Even then, they still won't get it.

• berylblue
    berylblue

I've thought about this as well, and I'd rather be a rape victim. At least then the onus would be on me to overcome the pain and I could do it as a free woman. When you're falsely accused, even if charges are dropped, your future is in the hands of closed minded, two-digit IQ myopic idiots who will usually assume you WERE guilty and somehow got off. You can lose your job, money, everything - and, depending on age, location, other obligations (such as being unable to move from the scene of the crime against you), you may never get any of these things back. Of course, the predictable rage against me for not being a bleeding heart toward "abused" women would be funny were it not pathetic. I'm a voice in the wilderness. Thank god I don't give a rat's a$$ about what anyone here thinks of me.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    IN ADDITION, I ENDORSE PRISON SENTENCES FOR PROVEN FALSE ACCUSERS OF SENTENCES AT LEAST AS LONG AS THE SENTENCE THE FALSELY ACCUSED PERSON WOULD HAVE GOTTEN.

The irony of the comment above in a post on the dangers of hysteria are apparently lost on the poster. I generally find that shouting at people (or hitting them over the head!) does not leave them open to listening, no matter how good a point you have to make on the dangers of hysteria.

Terry you make a very good point, well said.

• fokyc
    fokyc

Yes I DO CARE, but it is very difficult in today's climate to do much about it,

Children will shout abuse at the slightest provocation, AND ARE believed.

Once they have lied there is no way back, so press on, very few people will sit down

and think about the so called allegations in a logical rational way.

I have lived/existed through 4 years of hell and I am not the one accused!

I know what these children did, I know what they have said and published BUT

how do you prove what you were or were not doing up to 20 years ago?

We do of course have the JW answer, Jehovah will sort everything out in the end.

fokyc

• Gopher
    Gopher

Yes there is a degree of false accusations and manipulation out there, and it is surely reprehensible. Not only for alleged sexual crimes against children, but those are the kind that society generally hates the most (and rightfully so).

I'm not so sure about this:

It's so easy to assume that someone arrested for rape was guilty - because we need to believe the culprit was caught. Because we need to believe we are better than the accused.

I think when we hear an accusation of this nature against an adult, it's only natural to be disgusted and want justice. That feeling (by an outsider) is not necessarily wrong, but it does have to be tempered by awareness of the POSSIBILITY that the accusation may be false. However, to impute the motive that "we need to believe we are better" is really not necessary.

If the crime actually occurred, of course we should be better than the perpetrator. But in most cases what you're seeing is a desire to see justice done on behalf of little children, the most helpless members of our society.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

There are two sides to every story. I would never have brought charges against my parents mainly because I would never have been able to prove the memories in a court of law (well that and statute of limitations had expired).

I was with someone this weekend who told me, "If you can't prove it, that means it didn't happen."

All I can say is everyone needs to tap the brake, especially in the court of public opinion. Just because an accusation is made, doesn't make it accurate. The flip side is also true in that offenders can, and do, avoid punishment. We'll never know if one side has more mistakes than the other.

You might find this link interesting Beryl:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/050608dnmetnuroberson.363ab55.html

Woman who falsely cried rape sentenced to 5 years in prison

12:04 AM CDT on Tuesday, May 6, 2008

By DEBRA DENNIS / The Dallas Morning News
    [email protected]

FORT WORTH – A woman whose false claim of rape led to her lover's death was sentenced to five years in prison Monday evening.

Tracy Roberson dropped her head as State District Judge Louis Sturns read the verdict. Afterward, her family members screamed in anguish outside of the courtroom.

The Tarrant County jury, which deliberated for longer than two hours, declined to grant Mrs. Roberson probation, deciding instead she should serve time in prison.

Mrs. Roberson, 37, was convicted Friday of manslaughter in the 2006 shooting death of Devin LaSalle. Prosecutors said it was Mrs. Roberson's husband, Darrell, who fired the fatal shot but only because his wife falsely claimed she was being raped.

Mrs. Roberson will be eligible for parole in 2 ½ years. After the sentencing, she was allowed a few minutes to hug her daughters and husband goodbye.

A tearful Mrs. Roberson took the stand in her own defense Monday, saying her actions led to her lover's death.

"I never meant for any of this to happen," Mrs. Roberson said. "I am so sorry. If I could trade places right now, I would. I never meant for Devin to lose his life."

Mr. LaSalle died in December 2006 after Mr. Roberson shot him outside the Robersons' south Arlington home. Mr. Roberson fired after he returned home from a card game and caught Mr. LaSalle and his wife – who was clad in only a bathrobe and underwear at the time – together in Mr. LaSalle's truck.

Mrs. Roberson claimed she was being raped. Mr. Roberson was charged with murder, but a Tarrant County grand jury declined to indict him. Instead, it indicted Mrs. Roberson on a manslaughter charge.

During her two-hour testimony Monday, Mrs. Roberson told the jury she began dating Mr. LaSalle shortly after they met in September or October 2006 when he struck up a conversation with her at a store. She later learned they had children in the same school in Mansfield.

Mrs. Roberson, a mother of three, said Mr. LaSalle was flattering, flirtatious and attentive. She also testified that she had no friends before meeting Mr. LaSalle.

"He made me feel like a different person. He gave me a lot of compliments," Mrs. Roberson said. "Devin said a lot of things that I never heard. I know it was wrong to have an affair. If I just kept walking that day, we wouldn't be here right now."

Mrs. Roberson, who has reconciled with her husband and moved to Frisco, said Mr. Roberson used to abuse her, and once pulled a gun on her during an argument.

During trial testimony last week, prosecutors portrayed the housewife as a woman who cried rape to save herself. On the 911 tape from that night, they said four minutes passed before Mrs. Roberson mentioned that a man had been shot outside of her home.

Mr. LaSalle was a 32-year-old Hurricane Katrina survivor who moved to North Texas after losing his home in New Orleans, his family and friends said. The father of three was a driver for UPS and coached his sons' sports teams.

Jurors heard about two families left fractured by the shooting.

Mr. LaSalle's 12-year-old son, Kendall, cried on the stand Monday as he described the last evening he spent with his father at a Cowboys-Saints football game. His father, he said, cried when one of the Saints players gave his son a football jersey.

"It was first time I'd ever seen him cry," said Kendall.

"He said he was glad that his kids could get the best in life. All I could do was cry, too."

Mr. LaSalle's mother, Carla LaSalle, showed family snapshots to the jury, including photos of Mr. LaSalle as a baby, a big brother, athlete, fisherman and father.

"I just want this to end," she said. "I don't want anybody else's mother to go through what I went through. No one can get off scot-free. A man was killed."

Mrs. Roberson's oldest daughter, Quintoria, testified that her mother was active with the PTA and vital to her academic success. She said she had turned down a full academic scholarship to care for her younger sisters in case her mother went to prison.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

To bad I can't avoid Mom type spam on this site either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit