Where do you start to find the answers to God?

by Hope4Others 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Terry says, "You cannot conceptualize any reality without a pure vocabulary which functions without tainted terms."

True enough; but you can experience without vocabulary. The conceptual domain is just one part of being human.

The point, however, is how USEFUL is what you conceive? How practical are your thoughts? How beneficial are your impressions in enabling you to employ rational concepts in the betterment of your day to day existence?

Have you ever heard somebody say, "Umm, I know what it means but I can't put it in words." ?

This is a lot like being a French poodle.

What makes humans special in the animal kingdom is the use of language in creating better and better conditions for self-advancement.

Now, how to relate all this to the above topic?

Conceptual thoughts about God are like dreams you have when asleep, they are puzzling, exciting, fear-inspiring and mysterious. However much you try to make meaning of them or portents....these are empty nothings because they are not part of the reality in which you live.

Mere conception is no better than idle thought about the Land of Oz.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I can only speak what works for me, each persons path/journey is different. 1st I got away from all the books, reading, research as it was driving me crazy, had some quiet time to me, sat still and looked within. I dont have the answers but I've made my peace with that. I've still believe in god but again I look within, now and again I'll read a book and if something resonates with me, I use it.

• poppers
    poppers

Simplify the search for God by setting aside every idea you have about him/her/it, set aside every "holy book" that claims to speak "God's words and thoughts" and look where you've probably never looked - inside yourself. Surely "God" exists within you, so look to see what there is within you that is ever present, compassionate, unchanging, and peaceful.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Hope-4-Others - I didn't quite understand your first post about "space" being the fourth dimension and "time" being the fifth. In fact, height, length, and width constitute the classical [Newtonian] three dimensions. It was Einstein who discovered that time was the fourth dimension. He discovered that time could be warped or distorted; it was not a constant, as had been previously conceptualized.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Caliber: or some such detective series

Jack Webb in Dragnet.

Terry: Mere conception is no better than idle thought about the Land of Oz.

I agree. Conception at its best is inspired by something primal. Mind in service to Being. Mind alone allows man to justify any act (whether the mind is orderly and uses well defined terms or not); but allowing compassion and empathy to drive the concepts in your mind leads to a more satisfying reality.

• caliber
    caliber
    Mind alone allows man to justify any act (whether the mind is orderly and uses well defined terms or not); but allowing compassion and empathy to drive the concepts in your mind leads to a more satisfying reality.

The best "things "that life has offer, are not really things at all;for they cannot be seen with the eye

nor touched with the hand ; but are only felt by the heart, only then, to be perceived by the minds

eye !

Caliber

• S3RAPH1M
    S3RAPH1M

Creation is the revelation of the word of God

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

For myself the search starts with ME. What I read and learn has to connect with my inner self, my gut feelings, the spiritual side of me. My gut feeling, or whatever you want to call it, is my spiritual guide. Not my head filled with the thoughts and beliefs of others. Not the heart that easily leads me for emotional reasons. But that deeper feeling of connection, resonance.

That means I don't have all the answers but I can remain open to new ideas and beliefs and test them out one by one, disgarding the things that don't work and keeping others.

A few years ago some friends gave me a wall plaque of Desiderata. It hangs in a place where I can read it several times a day -- in the bathroom.

Desiderata

-- written by Max Ehrmann in the 1920s --
    Not "Found in Old St. Paul's Church"! -- see below

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and the ignorant;
    they too have their story.
    Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
    they are vexatious to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,
    you may become vain or bitter,
    for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
    Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
    Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
    it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs,
    for the world is full of trickery.
    But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
    many persons strive for high ideals,
    and everywhere life is full of heroism.
    Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
    Neither be cynical about love,
    for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
    it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
    gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
    Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
    But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
    Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,
    be gentle with yourself.
    You are a child of the universe
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you,
    no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
    whatever you conceive Him to be.
    And whatever your labors and aspirations,
    in the noisy confusion of life,
    keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
    it is still a beautiful world.
    Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

• chickpea
    chickpea

with infinity as a possibility, the finite mind cannot "know", although maybe it can believe

what if ALL of it is with merit? what if it is what it needs to be for each inquiring mind?

maybe your concept of a good life, a life well lived, is a good place to start.... maybe deviations form your concepts that cause you to reconsider are just indicators of how close you are to that infinite potential

• caliber
    caliber

Non one can prove if God exist or not through the logic.
    But it is not intellectually honest to say that "belief in God has inflicted grievous harm to society". Maybe this ha been caused by the "God" created by our own mind and used for our dirty purposes (ie. control other people).
    But the values of Christian religion and other religions have improved societies during the course of the story.
    When someone is prejudiced one is able only to see only the part of the truth he want to see. (Partial quote from net)

Actually the perception that faith in God caused grieve to humanity is a bit silly. Pride, Arogance, Self righteousness and the like there of was what caused the harm to humanity

Caliber

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit