The Secret Journey of the Three Hebrews :-)

by GermanXJW 12 Replies latest jw friends

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I just received my Watchtower of December 15th, 2001.
    QfR is "How can a Christian wife balance loyalty to God with submission to her unbelieving husband if he shares in religious holiday activities?"

[BTW, the German edition does not say "unbelieving" but "who is not a JW]

One gem from the answer (2,25 pages!) is:
    "At other times, her husband may ask her to cook a certain food, whether because it is his favorite or because he is used to having that meal in a particular season. She will desire to show love for him and recognition of his headship. Could she do so even if he made the request on the occasion of a holiday? Some Christian wives might be able to do so with a good conscience, simply considering it as a normal task of preparing the daily meal."

BUT! The climax of this article is:
    "Of course, a Christian wife should think of others - the effect on them. (Philippians 2:4) She would like to avoid giving any impression that she is linked to the holiday, just as the three Hebrews may likly have preferred that others not see them traveling to the plain if Dura."

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHERE THE SCRIPTURES STATE THAT THE THREE HEBREWS MIGHT HAVE PREFERRED THAT OTHERS NOT SEE THEM TRAVELING TO THE PLAIN OF DURA???

Come on, it's not getting better.

BTW, the same WT-issue states explaining the year text for 2002:
    "Jesus spoke to many who were desperately trying to do what was lawful but who were "loaded down" because the Jewish leaders made religion a burdensome thing. (Matthew 23:4) They focused on endless rules for virtually all aspects of life. Would you not find it stressful to keep hearing "you must not" do this or that?"

Oh yes, I would and I did. I think it's not per chance that you have just to drop one letter to let the quote above read "JWish leaders" instead of "Jewish leaders".

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

hey germ !

your comments on the years text is dead in line with my thoughts - they strain out of the gnat and swallow the camel - it's so hard to believe that at one time we couldn't see the irony of their words - how they accuse and yet are the most guilty

i like the JWish reference !

• ballistic
    ballistic

huh, that's funny about the year text...about rules, I told someone today what I was disfellowshipped for, and they said to me that they had done the same, then went to an elder and the elder said... "oh, don't worry everyone does that".

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

ballistic: ? And just what was that? The horrible "M" (asturbation), or worse yet the big "F" (ornication)

If so he's right, they're all doing it ...

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I did a little exaggeration: the articel is 1,25 pages but still enough to tell wives to eat turkey at Thanksgiving or not.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Ha ha ha ha, you have to check the latest WT to see if it's OK to cook your hubby a nice turky dinner! And in the end, what help do you really get?

"Some Christian wives might be able to do so with a good conscience."

And the incredible wisdom of:

"Of course, a Christian wife should think of others - the effect on them"

No wonder JWs are all head cases. Do you or don't you. If you do should you sneak shop at midnight least some poor unsuspecting Brother Weakling see you purchasing a turkey? Should you lock the doors and draw the shades as you cook the aposate turkey - Brother Weakling might be peeking through the windows you know. What if the turkey ends up being demonized? Will it call out to it's little smurf freinds? Will Jehovah help you fight the demon turkey - after all you probably shouldn't have been cooking it in the first place!

Let's get to the meat here Mr WT writer - tell us how to cook our demonized turkey!

• Moxy
    Moxy

i dont get it. is there something new here? im not sure if the part about dura is implying that the hebrews didnt go to dura or just that they did go but might have prefered not to. WT illustrations always show them at dura altho the text doesnt specify. anyways i dont see what you're all upset about.

mox

• Francois
    Francois

I'm not sure about how to cook a Smurf Turkey, but I'd suggest getting that sucker in the oven as fast as possible. Those turkeys have been known to actually sprout feathers and fly right out the window.

I'll tell ya, I've been frying turkeys for the last five years and I wouldn't waste my time roasting another one for all the tea in China. Ain't worth the trouble. You get one of those turkey frying kits at Wal-Mart and get the peanut oil to 350 degrees and fry that sucker for 3.5 to 4 minutes per pound. That's only 80 minutes for a twenty pound turkey. How long would it take to roast one that size? And you need to have one that size if you're gonna stuff it with Smurf dressing.

Francois

P.S. - You reckon all the little JW munchkins are gonna be lined up tomorrow to see Harry Potter? Or will they stay home and get beaten to death by theier loving parents? Which would be worse?

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

The text is implying that the men went to Dura but that they "may have preferred that others not see them traveling" not to make them stumble.

I think this is not in the text. I just cultivates a "do but don't let yourselves be seen" mentality in JW by reading something in the bible what is just not there. The QfR adds "Perhaps David was able to excuse himself, but these three could not."

And now check Daniel Chapter 3.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

OK, I'm lost, what scripture talks about three Hebrews going to Dura?

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit