Dispelling Watchtower Myths of RC Beliefs

by Amazing 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Over the last two years, as I moved back to the Catholic Church, I have been confronted with objections by several people regarding certain Catholic teachings. These concerns are almost always the same, and are founded in mythology created by the Watchtower Society, and some evangelical denominations. It is almost as though some ex-JWs unwittingly carry these myths with them and do not realize that they can drop these myths ... without requiring them to join anything.

The following are some of the most common issues that I wish to address:

Papal Infallibility: This is a most unfortunate issue that gets completely twisted from reality. The Pope is a fallible man. He is a sinner as we all are. He has to put faith in Jesus and live in cooperation with the Holy Spirit as any Christian. The best way to describe how he can then be infallible is this: Nearly all Christians, both Catholic, Orthodox, and non-Catholic accept the Bible as inspired of God, and hence inerrant or infallible. The Bible was written by fallible sinful men. St. Peter who denied Jesus with a curse wrote two NT books. God can and does use fallible men to do infallible things? The RCC has always held that the Holy Spirit protects the Church from inerrant teaching ... not necessarily inerrant conduct as evidenced by the seven congregations Jesus strongly counseled in the book of Revelation ... hence its "teachings" are considered without error. Since the Pope is the chief spokesman of the Church, then when he speaks on matters of "faith and morals" it cannot deviate from Church teaching, and cannot run against scripture. So, in this sense, just as the Apostles and other Bible writers wrote infallible words, the Pope can be and is used in an infallible way. Popes do not make willy-nilly rulings and tell people how to live their lives as the JW Governing Body does. And when Popes have said and done wrong things, the Catholic Church has been quite critical of them, and one can find this in Catholic history as well as secular history.

Hellfire: This doctrine is blown out of proportion by the JWs ... all the while the JWs use Armageddon and eternal death in the same scare tactic way that they condemn the Churches of Christendom. I was taught in my youth that Hell is eternal "separation" from God. It is expressed in terms of eternal torment because that has been Christian teachings from the beginning of the faith ... one cannot read hisotry and the early Christian writers and miss this teaching. Christians of all denominations are normally not led to be scared of a literal firey hell ... Hell does not dominate our thinking ... so to hold it up in the way JWs would, as some object of proof that one's faith is not valid, is not correct.

Praying to St. Mary, the Mother of Jesus, and praying to the Saints: This doctrine has been greatly maligned by non-Catholic denominations in the last couple of hundred years. The Watchtower is no exception. Catholics and Orthodox hold a long, nearly 2000-year, historic view that the Saints are in heaven, alive, and are watching over us. The Aposles Creed, a statement of faith dating back in various forms to the early 2nd century, and somewhat into the first century, holds that "... we believe in the communion of Saints, ..." which means that one can talk to a Saint just as one would talk to a close member of one's family or a close friend. Such prayer is not considered an act of worship. In fact, I can find no scripture that would limit our contact to only the Father, nor any that prohibits contact with the Angels or Saints. To a Catholic, such "prayer' is a mere form of communication to ask a Saint of special interest to pray for us, to help us in our walk with God. Perhaps you have asked someone in your family to pray for you, and look out for you? It is meant the same way to Catholics.

Note: Some will cite Catholic sources where the word 'worship' is used in conjunction with the Blessed Virgin Mary. This is a situation where the term 'worship' is confused with veneration, for no self-respecting Catholic or Orthodox would ever worship Mary as they would God.

Exclusively the Only True Church: Neither Rome nor Constantinople hold that the only true Christians are located within their walls. They both recognize that Christians are found everywhere. When one becomes a Catholic, one comes to develop a flavor for this word meaning 'universal' and that the Catholic faith accepts people as brothers and sisters who are in other denominations. What Rome and Constantinople do hold to is that they are the "full expressions" of the historic apostolic faith as it was handed down through centuries directly from the Apostles. With them come the seven Sacraments, and the fullness of the Church. It would be cruel, unloving, and judgmental to treat non-Catholic Christians as anything less than our bretheran.

There are other issues, but these have been most commonly asked ... and yes, the Church has made many mistakes and serious sins ... as we all have as individuals. She admits her errors and one can read her history that she and others have written to know this honest admission. The Christian faith is not for perfect sinless people ... rather it should be a spiritual hospital for the sick ... a place to recover and grow in love. If one is looking for a place where perfection is demanded and enforced, one only has to look as far as the Watchtower Society.

Jim Whitney

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    Praying to St. Mary, the Mother of Jesus, and praying to the Saints: This doctrine has been greatly maligned by non-Catholic denominations in the last couple of hundred years. The Watchtower is no exception. Catholics and Orthodox hold a long nearly 2000-year historic view that the Saints are in heaven, alive, and are watching over us. The Aposles Creed, a statement of faith dating back in various forms to the early 2nd century, and somewhat into the first century, holds that "... we believe in the communion of Saints, ..." which means that one can talk to a Saint just as one would talk to a close member of one's family or a close friend. Such prayer is not considered an act of worship. In fact, I can find no scripture that would limit our contact to only the Father, nor any that prohibits contact with the Angels or Saints. To a Catholic, such "prayer' is a mere form of communication to ask a Saint of special interest to pray for us, to help us in our walk with God. Perhaps you have asked someone in your family to pray for you, and look out for you? It is meant the same way to Catholics.

I had been puzzling out that very thing, lately. If I believe these have risen why could I not talk to them? How would talking to them be worship? Thanks for sharing that, Amazing.

• NanaR
    NanaR

bookmarked ;-)

• White Dove
    White Dove

I really appreciate the clarification of these points. I like to know what people REALLY believe.

Other religions actually believe and teach that witches worship the devil and drink blood and do sacrifices.

I've also heard degrogatory talk of Catholicism by protestants. They refuse to listen to the truth about people and their beliefs. They want to keep believing horrible things about "those not of our sort."

It still ticks me off that others will argue with me when I say that yes, JW's do believe in Jesus. They get all mad and everything.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Bookmarked and BTT.

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

Interestingly, the WT's teaching about the Governing Body is basically equivalent to the Catholic teaching about the Pope.

Both admit they are imperfect sinners. Both claim that when acting in their official capacity, they are guided by God and protected by his spirit inasmuch as they teach according to his word.

Yet the JWs will bash the Church's claims of "infallibility" and "apostolic succesion," not realizing they subscribe to these very teachings themselves.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The Witness meetings about the disfellowshipping policy I attended often included a comparison of policies of other religions and the most common comparison was to the Catholic religion. The Witnesses told me that disfellowshipping was common in other religions and the Catholics called theirs excommunicating.

I didn't find out until I was in my 40's that excommunicating just means the Catholic can't take communion but they are not shunned or disrespected on a social or personal level like the Witness disfellowship policy requires.

And ya don't get excommunicated, that I know of, for smoking a cigarette or voting or having sex. I have numerous friends who are of the Catholic faith and I like them all and I respect them a lot. The Catholics do a good job here with operating hospitals, retirement homes, and schools. The Witnesses are mean, they snub and shun and they don't operate one community service. The Witnesses are selfish, self serving, and in my opinion, in the light of day, they look very foolish knocking on doors and criticizing good people like the Catholics for work that the Witnesses refuse to do themselves.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Fadeout,

You made some very good points. There are some important differences. The GB allows for themselves to be sinners, but act like they never sin. They enforce their teachings on the rank and file as though they are teaching the Word of God, but then make changes over and over - back and forth until the heads of JWs nearly spin off. The rank and file are not permitted to question, debate, or challenge the GB, and they treat the GB as though they are sinless. The Watchtower makes no claims of Apostolic Succession ... they are among the Restorationists groups which claim that God let the Church die early on with apostasy, and then waited for nearly 18 centuries to employ Chuck Russell to restore all truth. From a credibility perspective ... well ... one can see the difference.

Whereas Catholics know the Pope can and does sin ... and Catholics do not all accept every teaching, though the Church would prefer that they do, there is no enforcement. One only has to explore critical literature of the Church and supportive literature, written by very faithful Catholics, to discover a wealth of profound information on various sides of many issues. Also, unlike the GB, the Catholic Church (and Orthodox too) do not change their doctrine and one can see a consistent level of teaching over the last two thousand years.

Hi Garybuss,

Good points about the excommunicating issue and community service. When I had my heart attack, running up a $75,000 bill, the Church (Catholic Charities through the Catholic Hospital) took care of me while I was still outside the Church ... and paid my entire bill, lock, stock, and barrell. The priest who visited me in intensive care never questioned my status as an ex-Catholic or ex-JW. He just wanted me to rest and not worry. It was 4 years later that I finally reconciled with the Church. Thanks for the great points.

Jim Whitney

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

Give the WT long enough and they will become the RCC.

They've only had 130 years so far. 130 years after Christ there was a good deal of doctrinal development still going on. They weren't conducting any Inquisitions or going on any Crusades. It took hundreds of years for them to consolidate their doctrines and rise to power.

The WTS would love to do the same. It's interesting that the WTS doctrine is primarily aimed specifically at tearing down RCC teachings.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Exclusively the Only True Church: Neither Rome nor Constantinople hold that the only true Christians are located within their walls. They both recognize that Christians are found everywhere. When one becomes a Catholic, one comes to develop a flavor for this word meaning 'universal' and that the Catholic faith accepts people as brothers and sisters who are in other denominations. What Rome and Constantinople do hold to is that they are the "full expressions" of the historic apostolic faith as it was handed down through centuries directly from the Apostles. With them come the seven Sacraments, and the fullness of the Church. It would be cruel, unloving, and judgmental to treat non-Catholic Christians as anything less than our bretheran.

Unless they're Protestants.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit