I can't donate blood

by noni1974 15 Replies latest jw friends

• noni1974
    noni1974

My veins are to small. I totaly would too if my veins weren't so small. I had a blood test last week and the lady who took my blood couldn't find a single vein to draw from on my inner elbow on either arm. She went for my veins on top of my hands and blew veins on both hands. She barley got enough blood to do the test with before she blew the second one. She told me becasue I asked about it that they would turn me away because I'm not easy to get blood from because of my small veins and because my veins rolled away when she tried to poke it.

I'm getting another blood test next week that will mean more than one tube of blood being taken. I wonder where they are going to try to get it from??

• dinah
    dinah

Ummm, rolling veins are hard to get. If you get someone with alot of experience you'll be fine.

Good to see you, ((((Noni))))

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

I feel your pain. My veins are exactly the same way. I have to have blood drawn at least twice a year and have had several IVs throughout my life. Each time the nurse has to go in through the top of my hand. It does help if you drink several gallons of water w/in 3-4 hours of having blood withdrawn. Being dehydrated makes thin/narrow/small veins even tougher to find. Do you bruise easily, too? When I spend a day on a jet ski or a ski slope, my legs look like I fell down 6 flights of stairs.

I have never been told that the condition of my veins would be a cause for me not being able to donate blood. However, I haven't been able to donate since deciding that I no longer wanted to be a JW, because I keep getting pierced and inked. New tat coming this summer!

• noni1974
    noni1974

Thanks ((Dinah))

No Sweetface I don't bruise easy. I have to get hit pretty hard for a mark to show up. I somethimes get the ones where I have no idea where they came from. I just assume I walked into something and don't remember it. I'm slightly clumsy. Those usually show up on my legs but not that often.

• brinjen
    brinjen

I'm the same. A few years ago I had to go for a few blood tests that required two vials of blood. Had to go in twice for them to take the blood, they could barely get one vial in one session.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Noni, when a person is dehydrated, it can make it harder to find a vein for blood tests or IV's. Try drinking plenty of fluids for the two days before you have your blood drawn. It should make things easier.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    It does help if you drink several gallons of water w/in 3-4 hours of having blood withdrawn.

I think she meant glasses of water. And it's better to start the day before to get all of your tissues hydrated and then your blood volume will go up as well. If you drink gallons, you'll get water toxicity and you could even die.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I can't either, as far as I know. I have tattoos. Do they still deny you for having tatts?

• Balsam
    Balsam

Me too I always thought it was because of my age. Goodness it is frustrating. My vains blow out or roll neither one is good when giving blood. I've found one nurse who seems able to hit the target each time without trouble. Sorry your experiencing this frustration.

Ruth

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

Yes, FHN, I did mean glasses, thank you. I was reading up on the latest gas prices on yahoo news and the word "gallons" flew off of my fingers...tee hee.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit