Getting the UN thing published.

by LoneWolf 12 Replies latest jw friends

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Hi, all,

I can't say that I've had much success in rousing interest in the reporters that I've contacted about the United Nations thing. However, I'm not discouraged, as I've long used the technique of trying something and carefully analyzing its results, then trying again. Eventually it usually succeeds.

Anyway, I've been doing a little digging and it appears that not too many are going to touch it unless we maintain a steady contact and feed them incontrovertable proof in a concise manner, with most of the details reduced to bare-bones.

It also looks like we aren't really convincing them that there is much interest in it. Probably if we pick one person, then deluge them with emails, etc., we would have a better chance.

Then again, I think we are making a mistake in sending these things to reporters. Most reporters are assigned stories by their editors. Therefore, perhaps we should research the target publications and find out what editor would be the most likely to be interested, then concentrate on that individual.

Also, I get the feeling that the smaller newspapers aren't prepared to do a story of that magnitude unless some bigger entity does it first. That way their butt's covered in case something goes wrong, and you must admit that the WTBTS does have a reputation.

All in all, I feel that we have the best chance if we would concentrate on one or two columnists like William Safire of the New York Times, and/or go straight to the Associated Press.

However, why don't we try an experiment first? One of the people writing for the Times is:

Barbara Crossette --- Bureau Chief, United Nations

[email protected]

She is, as I understand it, the person overseeing all the stories concerning the United Nations. It would be quite interesting to see what reaction we prompt if she got a few dozen (or hundred) emails concerning this matter from all over the world.

If you wish to chip in, make the message rather short, but pointed as to why this information is important to have published. Any personal reasons would be good, and I would suggest that we use no particular script or form. That way, she will realize that each one is by an individual that is concerned and not a bunch of automations that blindly follow the suggestions of some "leader".

Hope you like this idea and wish to jump in.

LoneWolf
    Alias: Tom Howell

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi Wolfie,
    I think the interesting thing about the feedback you're getting from the press is their ``right-on-the-money'' assessment that the public at large could care less about Jehovah's Witnesses.

Afflicted with self-importance, the Witnesses themselves love to think that they're universally hated and are regarded by Satan and his world as his worst nightmare.

I've long suspected that many of their nutty policies (Birthday prohibitions, no Thanksgiving or Mothers' Day, no extracurricular activities at school, etc. etc.) have at their base a pathetic bid to attract attention. Hello, Witnesses out there! ***Yawn*** Noboday cares!

There's nothing they hate more than being ignored!

• Lionel_P_Hartley
    Lionel_P_Hartley

Unfortunately I think the "news" in all of this was the discovery and then the rapid disassociation of the WTS. The Guardian got that - now it is old news. It's a pity the US media didn't pick up on the story but I think that's obviously because of the war in Afghanistan, but also because the US press seems to be a lot loss adventurous and flexible than the UK press. Apart from local stories, US newspapers are a bit like McDonald's, simply spewing out whatever AP feeds them.

This episode has, however, left its mark on the WTS and, with luck, will turn out to have been a significant battle in the fight to get the WTS to institute much needed change.

One possible angle still to use, however, is in connection with child abuse; in the bigger picture it is interesting that, while confronted with lawsuits and the eternally impending Dateline program, the WTS nevertheless chose to disaffiliate from the UN as an NGO in the area of Human - and Children's - Rights. Probably a case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing, but, still from an outsider's perspective the timing is terrible for them.

Lionel

• Kent
    Kent

Most papers are local, and they mostly write local stories. That's why it's important to have a local "twist" to the story itself.

Naturally they do write about other things, but then they try to find out if this is interesting to their readers, or may hurt some of their advertisers!

Most journalists won't see this as anything but someone that quit the cooperation with the UN. To get them to write about it, I'm pretty sure we need to do our schoolwork better. We need to link this together. AidAfrique, money, fraud etc.

If it's just about the Watchtower saying the UN is the "Beast" to their followers, and something else to others - who cares? NOBODY, that's who!

EX-JWs seem to believe that just because WE and JWs find something interesting, others do as well. They dont! We need to present a story a bit more juicy than that. The story needs to be interesting to OTHERS than JWs and EX-JWs - normally - and it's our job to find the evidence.

I normally do write a lot to the papers, and get quite a lot published as well. But so far I've not written anything about this case! The reason? I still haven't got the correct story for a broader public - yet!

Yachyd Da

Kent

I need the new KM's as they come! Please send me scans!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Kent,

One thing I can assure you people is that the Watchtower's story is not dead at the UN.

When the DPI issues a press release on who is "accredited", they also will list who got the "boot" and became disassociated. Just go read their recent press releases on this and you will see that.

Next pres release issue of "accreditation" is do out in January, 2002.

I will contact the Barb woman and see what I can do with her.

hawk

• sf
    sf

Hello Tom,

Here are some items to sift thru on Barbara Crossette:

< http://google.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=barbara+crossette&hc=0&hs=0

sKally, happy trails...wcrestnpeace

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello LoneWolf and the others,

I do hope that some newspaper will

publish the story, ...surely it is the time !

Like the Guardian and the "Publico " in Portugal.

I think Chasson shoul try with some main French

ones. Keep us informed, please.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Thanks everyone, for your comments. Am taking them all into consideration and will incorporate that knowledge into future efforts.

Kent, maybe you should set up a class for us so that we can have the same success?

LoneWolf

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

bttt because i lost it.

Writing to Barbara is so much fun.

L P H,

I like your "spin" and will add it too the letter. I also am adding the spin of the Nov 15/01 Hypocrisy article that I came up with.

hawk

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

L P H,

I just chipped in and did a serious Email to her and copied Mr. Steve Bates on it as well.

I decided to give her everything and why it is newsworthy from a UN angle, an American public angle and or course an angle to notifed the 1,000,000 witnesses.

We shall see what happens.

hawk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit