The Watchtower----A Book Publishing Company???

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Sure they publish books and they used to do that quite a bit. But now, I wouldn't primarily call it a "book publishing company". They charge nothing for the literature. The Watchtower Society is known for many things but publishing books has gone the way of the "Vacation Pioneer", imho.

When you think of WATCHTOWER, what pops in your head????

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Pricks!

-BONEZZ

• journey-on
    journey-on

Real Estate and Construction

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Old, stuffy religion governed by old, stuffy men. But to be honest - and I may be gullible here - I don't see the big conspiracy of a money making machine others are seeing. Sure they generate a lot of money worldwide. But I do think most of them believe at least the core of what they're "selling", even the GB. I don't get the impression from Ray's book that they didn't believe what they decided. They just rationalize away all the tough questions and leave the rest to cognitive dissonance. But I may be wrong.

• RR
    RR

They use to be Amazon.com, now there a Mom and pop used bookstore!

• journey-on
    journey-on
    But I do think most of them believe at least the core of what they're "selling", even the GB.

Awakened07..You may be right about the GB believing this stuff. But, for some reason I have no documented proof of,

I think their legal and financial people really don't believe it 100% and are thinking with dollar signs in mind.

I would be curious to know if there are any attorneys and/or outside attorney firms on the WT payroll. Anybody know?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Minimus, the Society's headquarters is built around book publishing facilities... without that, they have nothing. It still is very much a book publishing enterprise.

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Social circle for many.

Some power starved men looking for recognition and a title. This starts from the teenage years for males in the JWs.

For others it provides some hope for the future or for the dilemma that they are in.

Business corporation.

Alligator Wisom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

They are very much a publishing mill. True things are changing - but what publisher would not wring his hands to have a 7 million unit sales on auto-pilot every-time they create a new publication. [Which at the very least they still do 4 times a month - with a circulation in the tens of millions]

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Oops! I forgot Awake is only once a month now - revise my statement to 3 times a month.

I imagine they still rank among [if not the top] publisher in terms of units produced annually in the world.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit