Overcoming deep depression....success stories??

by oompa 58 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa

Guys, for those who know me here, I apologize in advance for being such troublesome pain in the ass. I have had some scary low spots these past two years, and was imo on way too many meds. I really had a death wish for awhile, and do not want to revist that feeling. Now I only take 30 mg of Cymbalta, but just dont seem to be able to my old self back. Why shouldn't I be depressed though? Waking up after 40 plus years in a cult and being shunned by just about everybody because I let them know what I think is not exactly partytime. I don't seem to be able to move beyond JWD even...my mind is so constantly focused on JW crap and how to get my family out....it is not healthy.

As far as meds go, anybody have great sucess or with any other method for that matter? I used to be a high energy outgoing person, but have lost interest in just about everything I ever had a passion for. These should be some of the best years of my life, and they are just slipping away. ...............oompa

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I've taken several. Zoloft worked the best, but like the rest of them, it made me too sleepy. I stayed on it long enough to kick my self out of the depression though. I took it more than once over the years.

I take natural remedies. I take Ativan for anxiety when I need it. And I have an amazing and positive therapist. I do cope better than I did a year ago, when Andy had his accident and we ended up losing Mickey and moving to Tennessee without Andy.

My temp to hire position ended yesterday. I should be more upset about it than I am. I am not saying it doesn't hurt me or worry me, but I am handling it much better with the tools my therapist has given me.

I have at times felt in so much emotional pain that I was unable to function. I would think I was never going to make it through the pain. But it ALWAYS got better.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Oompa,

Sorry to hear about your depression...

IMHO, Fading takes a psychological toll...You're living in a world you no longer believe in, and this is frustrating.

I know that officially doing the DA is tough also, but perhaps it's time for you to start establishing a life outside of JWs...

Get new friends and meet new real people outside of JWs or even JWD... or meet JWDers in person. But get back to your life, not a make believe fading situation.

It looks like I'll be officially out by the end of the month... I'll post more details on another thread today...

A@G

• wings
    wings
    my mind is so constantly focused on JW crap and how to get my family out

isn't this a part of accepting the things I can't change? What I am learning is to not expect my family (husband) to change, and then make my personal decisions, set my personal direction according to what I can manage within that. For me, I had to get away. You have to live your life oompa, today, you can't wait for others to change.

Is there anyway you can set some boundaries around your issues , and try living, breathing your own air so to speak?

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Have no experience of meds, oompa, but just wanted to say I enjoy your posts and enthusiasm here at JWD. Sorry life is so depressing for you at the moment, and that your situation is so tough.

You're right - what you're going through is a depressing situation. But keep hope that your life will improve somehow. It can.

• Xena
    Xena

I take one day at a time and try not to dwell on the negative. Someone told me once that every day when you wake up you can choose if you will be happy that day or not. I choose to be happy. And I work toward that goal. It sounds simple I know but IMO if you focus on positives it's hard to stay depressed. And there is always something positive in most any situation if you look for it hard enough.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Oompa are you having any therapy?

• JK666
    JK666

oomp,

The longer you go without drinking, the more your old self will return. Remember that alcohol is a depressant, and drinking as much as we did has an affect over time. It probably took me six months to get on an even keel. So don't get down on yourself, or expect that it will change overnight.

As for the meds, if they are not working talk to your doctor. They had me on Lexapro for a while and it did help-me. But trust your doctor and be honest about what is going on with you to him.

All the best, little brother!

JK

• snowbird
    snowbird

What FHN said.

Also, try to eat lots of tomatoes, tuna, and salmon if you like them.

Those foods always make me feel better, and believe this: I've been so down that I could hardly lift my head.

Prayer, meditation, and drinking lots of herbal teas helped me, also.

I love you, Oompa - even when you're nasty. How's that?

Sylvia

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Hang in there brother. It's a bad ride but if you hang on it will get better.

In 2000 I lost my marriage of 20 years (thanks to the help of wtbs)...lost my business that was bringing me in $170k a year...lost my faith... wound up living in my office. I slept away the days on a futon...drinking heavily. I went to therapy which helped a lot. They put me on three diff meds which helped at first but scared me when they said I'd be on them forever...so i slowly got off of them as therapy continued to help. My income dropped to homeless level....I lost my office...my daughter would not come to see me...and then I got cancer. It's been one hellava 7 year ride. I met a woman in 2002 that helped me get thru some of the crap and this past year things have started to look up finacially...although not there yet.

All I can say is find someone (hopefully qualified) to talk to. Remember to love yourself. You have a lot to offer the world. Join a gym for the physical lift and the social aspects...beats drinking heavily. I was affiliated with the dubs for 50 years but I quickly realized there are a LOT of realy nice people in the "world" who will take the time to care about you. The WTBS is not a supportive group no matter what they say. If you wanna talk you can pm me.

-BONEZZ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit