Artificial Blood Found to Raise Risk of Death--News Article 4/29/08

by AndersonsInfo 12 Replies latest watchtower medical

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

http://www.thestar.com/article/419393

Artificial blood found to raise risk of death April 29, 2008 Noor Javed Staff Reporter

Blood substitutes significantly increase the chances of heart attacks and death in patients, yet Canadian and U.S. regulators gave the green light to testing on humans, says a paper published yesterday.

A review of all published literature on human blood-substitute trials in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that people who received hemoglobin-based blood substitutes during a trial had a 30 per cent greater chance of death, and were three times more likely to suffer a heart attack.

"I became extremely concerned by the consistent pattern of increased risk that patients were being placed in," said Dr. Charles Natanson of the National Institutes of Health, who led the review.

His researchers analyzed 16 randomized controlled studies of five different blood substitutes involving 3,700 patients. Among those receiving a blood substitute, they found 164 deaths. Among the same number of patients who instead received ordinary blood products or saline transfusions, 123 died.

The risk of heart attack was nearly tripled in the blood-substitute groups, with 59 recorded compared with 16 in the control groups.

Experts speculate that hemoglobin in the blood substitutes is a scavenger of nitric oxide from the bloodstream, causing blood vessels to constrict and sticky platelets to build up – adding to the risk of a heart attack.

For years, a reliable replacement for blood has been sought as a medical breakthrough, and source of huge revenues for the producers. The potential is obvious to save battlefield lives, as one example. Ersatz blood could theoretically be stored for years without refrigeration, apply for all blood types and be shielded from infections such as hepatitis or the AIDS virus.

The downside risk, however, was often not fully disclosed either to test patients or to ethics boards approving such trials, Natanson said.

After a risk is known, "the next person should never have to undergo that same risk," said Natanson. "That risk should be made public."

In the U.S., a company that runs a clinical trial must give the results to the U.S Food and Drug Administration but is not required to publish the findings – even if there's a "toxic" outcome. In many cases, Natanson said, trials were approved by the FDA, with knowledge that there was a potential risk involved.

Natanson knew of only one clinical trial in Canada, which involved testing of the product Hemolink by Hemosol Corp., a Mississauga company that has been in bankruptcy proceedings since late 2005.

With files from The Associated Press and The Canadian Press

</form>
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

This is unfortunate.

I'm surprised, though, that Jehovah's Magical Spirit didn't inform the wise men in Brooklyn of this eventuality.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I think one day our scientists will solve this problem.

Until that day comes, people will need blood to survive. Accident & surgical victims are not given whole blood as much today. They are given a blood derivitave, washed red blood cells. Washed red blood cells have been separated from whole blood and washed so as to remove the outer layer recepters that can cause some people to have reactions. They also have much reduced risk of carrying diseases as they are separated from blood & washed.

The Watchtower Society does not allow followers to have washed red blood cells. But, the Watchtower Society permits people to have hemoglobin. The washed red blood cell and hemoglobin are not much different. Hemoglobin is what is inside a washed red blood cell. The difference between the two is the cell's skin. What makes the whole red blood cell (i.e. hemoglobin with the skin) "unholy", I'll never know. To give an analogy, it's like saying "a glass of wine is unholy", but you can drink the wine inside it.

The Society's flawed logic on blood is what causes the more "savvy" witnesses to reject the blood ban.

Watchtower Society hemoglobin is not available for general distribution in the United States. Your doctor has to contact the companies, explaining the patient's case. The companies then contact the FDA for approval of dispensing hemoglobin to that particular patient.

Watchtower Society hemoglobin also has problems. Hemoglobin does not last long in the body. It's my understanding that the cells will only live a day or two. It's used more when the patient can take blood, but blood is temporarily unavailable. Hemoglobin research started with the US army. The Army wanted a single oxygen delivery that could be used on the battlefield to immediately treat battle victims in order to keep them alive while they were being transported back to the MASH units. Hemoglobin has the added benefit of being universally able to be used (no blood type mismatch) and can keep without refridgeration for over a year.

Again, the "best" blood alternative I see on the market today is "washed red blood cells". So, ask for it at a hospital near you.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    His researchers analyzed 16 randomized controlled studies of five different blood substitutes involving 3,700 patients. Among those receiving a blood substitute, they found 164 deaths. Among the same number of patients who instead received ordinary blood products or saline transfusions, 123 died.

That is still a very small number IMHO. Is he talking just about heart attacks? It sure is different to the dub pereption that a transfusion ia "death sentence in waiting"

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Thanks for the info.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

bttt.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

good find!

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

More evidence that things aren't as cut and dry as the GB like to make them sound.

Isaac

http://isaaccarmignani.blogspot.com/

• daniel-p
  • Mary
    Mary

Thanks for posting that Barb. It's disappointing, but I'm sure eventually the technology will arise to make artificial blood that will save lives.

I just thought of something: The GB always use the scripture in Acts 15:28, 29 as their stand on blood. It says there that Christians were to abstain from "things strangled, from blood, from fornication and from things sacrificed to idols." Isn't there another scripture somewhere that mentions that eating the foods offered to pagan idols and then sold in the market place was frowned upon, but a matter of conscience?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit