Calling all atheists, agnostics, believers, and seekers! A must hear.....

by journey-on 47 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling
    I've also said

that I believe the Universe has Consciousness. I believe I put it like this, "God is Pure Consciousness, the Eternal One that

speaks to us through the manifestation of his creation." We are created in His image which, to me, means we are co-creators

This one not so much...

I might agree with the concept of there having been a creator/originator, but I don't call that "god". I also don't think this originator has any purpose for us or the Universe, of that it guides us in any way. But that's just me.

changeling :)

• zensim
    zensim

Whilst Narkissos points to a typical trap that many fall into - that of taking sides or pitting one side against another - I think the whole point Jill Bolte Taylor makes is our WHOLE brain is brilliantly capable of accessing all states - as so clearly demonstrated by her intellectual analysis of a transendental experience (the stroke that caused it is just one of countless ways to manifest the experience - what is important is her lucidity throughout the experience). For the sake of expedience we tend to refer to left brain or right brain, but I don't think for a second Jill BT is unconscious of the intricate complexities and synchronistic workings of the brain and the rest of our physiology.

For the sake of ease, let's call it left brain and right brain and not get caught up in whether one is 'better' than the other. I believe we can recognise that predominantly most of us reside in the logical, rational and 'left brain' aspects whilst all the time yearning for the symbiotic feeling of classic right brain experiences - love, oneness, orgasm, bliss, acceptance, non-attachment, expansiveness and surrender.

My take on it is that we are born predominantly residing in right brained. Babies feel at one with everything, feel no separation from mother. Children are highly sensitive and easily feel the emotions and energies of others. As we grow older the urge is to develop a separate identity and so begins our left brain development, finding sense and meaning of the world so we can define ourselves.

There is no right or wrong here. I just believe along the way we, as adults, tend to so strongly identify with our rational, separate aspect that we forget we have this other part of us that needs freedom and true expression. The right brain becomes 'wrong' (or 'right' depending on your spiritual views) and unconscious. So right brain experiences are marginilised and/or categorised - art, creativity, insanity, delusion, enlightenment, spirituality, fantasy, not 'real', real etc etc. All the while, most people are unconsciously (and not necessarily healthily) driven to satisfy the right brain through love, food, sex, religion, art and so on. We all satisfy the right brain healthily and unhealthily.

People who are predominantly and naturally more attuned to right brain actually have the hardest time fitting into society. At the furthest end of the spectrum, those who are so right brained have probably been the great spiritual 'masters' through mankind's history. Yet, if after viewing Jill BT's talk, you re-examine some of the teachings of these spiritual beings, you may reframe what they are saying when they say we are all 'this' - it is possible for each and every one of us. It is not outside us, it is inside us. As Awakened07 says, it is as simple as a biological brain function. How different human history might be if these 'masters' experience was given a different context, was understood more in the light of what Jill BT describes? I like to imagine that the concept of religion - the striving after these experiences - would be obsolete.

It is a second reality - because the brain is processing the same data in a powerfully different way. How amusing however that the left brain interpretation has claimed 'reality' as its own. I also wonder at the pureness of the data we are given to interpet considering that most of the data is a product of unconscious longing and then the left brain trying to make sense - 'reality' - of it :)

To me, realising the possibility that I have choice in each moment and that I can consciously choose right brained interpretation (rather than reacting from unconscious longing) means I can flow between each states. It is not choosing one over another - it is the ability to be so present and aware, I can see the big picture by approaching everything from both the left brain and right brain, choosing appropriate action. Knowing what might be the appropriate answer/response in one moment might be actually the wrong response in the next similar moment.

This is non-duality.

To realise non-duality one must be willing to explore both the known and the unknown (or unknowable) - to sit in the discomfort of not knowing and to feel the true power of knowing.

These states are very reproducible (and without drugs!) but are not meant to be turned on or off like a switch. It is a state of being where there is natural energy flow between everything.

I too believe humans are evolving.

I originally posted the link under Indigo Children because I was responding to Terry's heartfelt post on what it was like having a child with Asbergers. Whilst recognising the very real daily frustrations of living with someone like that (and allow room also for the frequent joys), I also feel it is important to learn from the awesome manifestation of someone's extreme experience of life and see how this can enhance our own understanding and way of being. Not to make their experience wrong, to try and make them 'fit' our reality, but to use it as a point of self-inquiry where I might recognise and evolve my own perception.

• new light
    new light

Interesting video. I especially like the mention of being able to access the right hemi at will. The ecstatic experience Jill had is available to all of us, along with an enlightened return to consensus reality. One does not need to suffer a brain hemhorrage to experience oneness, although it did take her for the ultimate trip... full ego shutdown. Thanks for the link, j-o.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

zensim,

Excellent points.

The only thing I would add (as I have tried to explain in my "mental suicide" thread) is that "balance," however desirable it may seem for the individual, is actually attained on a collective level, by the compensation of individual "imbalances". Some have to play "left brain" (oversimplification admitted) while others play "right brain". Differentiation is essential on both the mental and social "stages". Whoever "preaches" a panacea ("left brain," "right brain," of even "balance" for all) is just playing his/her own part in the overall drama, which keeps advancing at its own pace.

That's why I believe that Paul's theology of the "body" (allowing for difference in experience and function), although hardly original, is a very important pattern to keep in mind when individual "experiences" are discussed.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I’m going to go out on a limb here and speak about some things that may sound quirky to some of you.

About 20 years or so ago, I wrote my very first letter to an author of a book. His book had moved me to such an extent that I had to express my thoughts and appreciation for his gift of research and sharing of his information. The book was called "The Sphinx and the Rainbow" and was written by David Loye. The subtitle was Brain, Mind and Future Vision. Some people who wrote reviews and credits called it the "new psychophysics" or "Quantum psychodynamics" and one said it documented the final frontier---the connection of mind and matter. If any of you get a chance to read this book, read it. I’m sure new information has been written since it was published, but it was the first book I had read that moved me toward this exploration. This book was my first look at right brain/left brain function.

In the course of my journey, I have absorbed, assimilated, accommodated, and discarded a vast amount of information pertaining to various views of "God", religion, and spirituality separate from religious affiliations. I have observed, listened, journaled, and studied people and their beliefs on a personal level merely through conversations and discussions, and study. (I’m no scientist.) I was able to do this only after leaving JWs because as we all know, this would never have been tolerated.

At this stage of my "education" and life, I have some beliefs that I have based on personal experiences of my own and experiences of other highly credible people such as Jill Bolte Taylor, the neuroanatomist in the video. I also have some knowledge, experience and real education in the study of young children. I believe we are experiencing at this time true Indigo children. Although it has been hyped and hijacked and commercialized, I do believe there are children being born that are different in ways that heretofore have been unseen and on a scale and pace that is undeniable. I won’t go into great detail, but suffice it to say, they have arrived. Evolution??

We have a brain that is two in one. Our free will and active choice determines which one dominates at any given time. This is our active force, the third element of this dynamic. The video describes which is which. We are evolving exponentially toward a higher consciousness and beginning to be able to "connect" and "tune in" to that Consciousness that is Love, purity, and perfection, and outside of Time. We are energy beings and we can work as a co-creator with the Higher Consciousness that exists behind this material Universe of Matter just as we, ourselves, have a consciousness that exists behind our material brain.

If you allow that part of your brain that is able to communicate with this Higher Consciousness to atrophy and shrivel and give all your Self to that one Left side, your spiritual evolution will stop. Religion hindered and can still hinder this endeavor. Why?

Because it has made our creator into a god and a monster that judges and punishes and destroys. But, religion is just an organized way of trying to fit what we know within ourselves into some kind of readable and understandable doctrine. Religion is on its way out, but real connection to the spiritual beauty and understanding of our universe is quickly taking its place.

But, like physical evolution, only those that have developed the necessary "tools" to go forward will advance to this new state in humanity’s spiritual evolution. Jill Bolte Taylor’s experience, to me, proved that the "tool" is there. It’s a beautiful thing.

If you live mostly "in" your left brain, deny any conscious spiritual energy at work, death will probably be mostly a left brain experience. Perhaps, you will prove yourself correct: When you die, the consciousness that you were/are will die and that’s that….gone silent. Perhaps, the right brained consciousness oriented will experience something else along the lines of Taylor’s description, and will experience this enormous expansive "at one with energy" peacefulness. That’s just an educated speculation on my part. Lots to ponder.....

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Without getting into truth value:

At this stage of my "education" and life, I have some beliefs that I have based on personal experiences of my own and experiences of other highly credible people such as Jill Bolte Taylor, the neuroanatomist in the video. I also have some knowledge, experience and real education in the study of young children. I believe we are experiencing at this time true Indigo children. Although it has been hyped and hijacked and commercialized, I do believe there are children being born that are different in ways that heretofore have been unseen and on a scale and pace that is undeniable. I won’t go into great detail, but suffice it to say, they have arrived . Evolution??

The new earth I read about in Scripture. "The world to come".

Yet the world seems to become a more and more dangerous place.

BTS

• 5go
    5go

A Christian, a Muslim, and a atheist are in a car accident all three see what they think is god.

The Christian said, that it was Jesus Christ.

The Muslim said, that it was Allah.

The Atheist said, that it was the drugs.

Who do you believe?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Your post reminds me of the "Omega Point"

BTS

• 5go
    5go
  • In the Neon Genesis Evangelion movie End of Evangelion, which ends the story, the Human Instrumentality Project, which aims to merge all human souls (in the form of LCL) into a single mind, as a final step on evolution, is largely influenced by this theory.
  • I found this in the Omega Point article on wiki.

I could buy that assuming the space time is proven constant at some point.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    Yet the world seems to become a more and more dangerous place.

The storm before the calm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit