What big changes made by the Borg bothered you when you were in?

by LovesDubs 15 Replies latest jw friends

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I came in in 1984. At that time they were beating it into us not to have kids or go to college because the end was soooo near and the Generation that saw 1918 was about all DEAD and we couldnt go much further. They were touting the whole Peace and Security cry and then there was the Peace and Security Convention in like 1985 that had us all abuzz after which of course NOTHING happened. Then they went and changed the definition of the Generation in 1994 saying of course since Armageddon DIDNT come after the 80 years had gone by that defined the old one that They basically had to go to Plan B...or Plan M by now, and that the Generation was now everybody since 1918 who has or will live during the time of the END ad infinitum!!! That my friends was the absolute end for me. I had been telling my children that WE WOULD NEVER DIE and now I had to tell them that we would live and die like everybody else does because jehoover is taking his sweet time bringing the end of the system! I was in TEARS!

- They changed the baptismal questions in 1985, the year I was baptized to make us vow to follow the Borg and not Jesus

- They stopped making food at the conventions, then stopped selling food at the conventions, then made us BRING our food to the conventions which in my opinion was a BIGGER hardship to the sheep than making it available to them was. Now young families had to tow baby supplies, books and bags, food coolers, drinks, strollers, blankets....gawd it was awful. :And somehow jam all that crap into the space you were sitting in at the convention which barely under normal conditions would accommodate your LEGS in front of you. :(

- They didnt charge for the magazines at the doors any more but told us to ask for a donation to the world wide work which was NOT so that more people could get the good news but so they could avoid paying TAXES on the sale of their literature and totally lied about it to us

- They changed their stand on blood to rediculously stupid nonsensical excuses for allowing PARTS of blood as long as it wasnt WHOLE blood and redefining different processes and surgical procedures ad nauseum until it was so damn confusing that nobody understood what they could or couldnt do any more where blood was concerned which caused in my opinion MORE deaths because people just said "if in doubt leave it out" and watched their loved ones die when they could possibly have HAD that surgery with blood expanders or with platelet treatments. And they have different standards for different countries depending on where you lived and what the political climate was in that country. We cant disfellowship you in your country for taking blood...fine consider yourself DISASSOCIATED.

- They condemned the United Nations and yet were a part of it all those years and were disfellowshipping people for such inane things as belonging to the YMCA.

What really rocked your JW world?

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

My biggie was the 1994-95 change about the "Generations". Um... yeah, base everything in your life around the promise that the 1914 generation won't pass away before "the end" comes. Fast forward to 1994.... Um.... yeah, it turns out that 99% of those people are dust now, so we gotta change the rules. Sucks to be you guys who wasted your whole life waiting for our prophecies to come true! What a load of crap. I immediately stopped paying attention to anything at the Kingdumb Hell. Guess what? It's 2008, and the end. ain't. here. yet. I guess there's still one old guy somewhere who was alive in 1914 desperately clinging to life in a nursing home somewhere. But, after he takes the eternal celestial dirt nap, Joe Hober is gonna get us all! Buwahahahaha!!!! NOT!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The "complete donation" arrangement. In of itself, it wasn't a major issue. What was a big deal was the blatant lie that you are not paying for littera-trash twice when you donate upon picking it up and then again after placing it. That blew my faith in their math, since it is transparent that something is being paid for twice if you pay upfront, and then again after distributing it.

• sspo
    sspo

1995 generation change.

I saw right then that jehovah had nothing to do with the organization and it was nothing but a man made religion like the rest of them.

Realized the GB was full of crap and deceiving millions.

• lesterd
    lesterd

Old School...1935,, close of the anointed being selected, 1967, rotating elder arrangement, 1975 I'm still here and so is Satans world, did he beat the WT society? Looking at the lost love of beloved brothers and sisters who had thier lives torn apart by this cult bothers me most.

• oompa
    oompa
    Lovedub: I came in in 1984.

WOW! must a been a doozy!!..............oompa

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

The One-Towel Rule pushed me over the edge.

Rub a Dub

• Casper
    Casper
    They stopped making food at the conventions, then stopped selling food at the conventions, then made us BRING our food to the conventions which in my opinion was a BIGGER hardship to the sheep than making it available to them was. Now young families had to tow baby supplies, books and bags, food coolers, drinks, strollers, blankets....gawd it was awful. :And somehow jam all that crap into the space you were sitting in at the convention which barely under normal conditions would accommodate your LEGS in front of you. :(

It all bothered me at one time or another, but the above really ticked me off. I had an infant when this took place and I really enjoyed

working in the food service... so much for comfort or feeling useful...!!!

Cas

• yknot
    yknot

Everything since leaving my liberal KH back in June 1980.

I wasn't taught to have the loyalty to the Slave over the Bible. I knew the Slave could mess-up BIG & capable of being WRONG!

List:

Baptism into a spirit-directed organization.

Knowingly causing death to protect corporate coffers.

Image above all else even if that means protecting and encouraging criminal and immoral behavior.

The UN thing... while I understand why they joined, the lack of remorse and the lies told to R&F shows the true spirit of the WTS.

Restrictions of the 80's and anything that falls under personal choice.

Financial scams to fleece the flock.

The impossibly broad application of unity.

Pharisee law versus spirit.

Not inspired or infallible but expectated under judicial penalty to obey them as if they were.

Guess if I had been an adult I would have left like many others in 1980, looking back I am not Watchtower material. That pesky bad habit of thinking keeps getting in the way. But alas I was only 6 1/2 yrs old.

• Jewel
    Jewel

Dates me, but 1975 was a biggie for me. Then, in 1977 when I started college and all my "theocratic" friends stopped talking to me. So much for "...by this you will know them - that they love one another." I don't think college is a big deal anymore--now that the "light" is getting so darned bright...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit