3 ways out

by Samuel Thorsen 19 Replies latest jw friends

• *summer*
    *summer*

Perhaps some see the DA-letter not as much as a sign of integrity but more as a "clean cut" break.

• Casper
    Casper

I faded 10 years ago, with no problem so far. I don't have any family in...so nothing to lose.

I didn't do anything to be df'd for, and didn't want to play their game, by sending a letter... so did it my way...

Cas

• Mulan
    Mulan

I agree that fading is best IMO

I faded and 8 years later they don't bother me (save maybe once or twice asking to meet me which I refused).

My family can still talk to me.

Absolutely agree here.............for us it was 1997, and so far so good. My husband's brother won't talk to us, but he doesn't live nearby anyway, and we hardly ever saw him, so it doesn't feel like a big loss. It's weird though, because his wife has a couple of siblings that are like us, and they continue to talk to them. We must be worse than them.

• there are four lights
    there are four lights

My husband and I took the 4th option, and I highly recommend it. It is a fade, but different in that you can do whatever you want to, celebrate any holiday you want to, even hang christmas lights if you want to, and you don't have to worry about being Df'd, because you have this letter in your back pocket ready for when they come after you; http://www.docbob.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=6 Here is the way we altered it for our situation; http://www.watchtowerletters.com/our_letter_elders.html
    Once we sent the letter, we never heard from the elders again, yet we don't have any label at all so JW's can't put us into their neat little categories. Whoever told on us is disturbed that no action was taken, the elders where probably disturbed that the actual law is higher than their little theocracy, and our family members are scratching their heads in confusion that we told the elders we would meet with them, but they never called back to meet with us. We saved the most important relationships to us with family, but did lose a few just because they knew we didn't believe it anymore, though we still send them things like anniversary cards and pictures of our son and they send thank you cards back to us.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Hooked on Fading works for Me!

oompa said: be a professional slacker.

What a inventive idea, you are hilarious!

One time I may run into someone they try to talk my ear off, and the next time they might just look, they are just not sure in

which category I belong, Oh well

Cheers!

hope4others.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I highly recommend that right b4 u fade, move your cards to a congregation some distance away, and with a elder body that is unfamiliar with u. To track u would take great effort. Something just about any elder is unwilling to do. Also, list an incorrect phone#. You will become one of those obscure publishers who's name only comes up when the CO arrives in town. I have never been visited nor have any letters arrived.

• All_These_Kids
    All_These_Kids

I decided that JW's have no more authority over me except what I gave them. If I DA'd myself, then I would be acknowledging that they did have authority over me. That being said, I accidently made it easier by moving around a bit and then following my now, thankfully, ex-wife to texas where I attended a congregation but never transferred. I wound up back in my home town, where my grandparents have taken a don't ask, don't tell stance. So I would recommend moving to a nearby congregation, attending a occasionally for a few months and then you might try visiting some other churches where you will have an excellent chance of meeting people who actually care about other people.

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

Fading is generally the best way out, but keep in mind the org is a private organization and has the right to invite/expel members at will. If the brothers want to df you for eating a ham sandwich, they can....

• mind my own
    mind my own

Fading was the way to go for me. I didn't want them to have the power...it was all on my terms. And they want to meet with me apparently, but I won't give them the satisfaction. And that is the way it will stay!

MMO

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

If you like getting anywhere fast
    If you dont ever what to be mistaken for a JW again
    If you enjoy rocking the boat
    Then DA

If going over to moms house for lunch is still important to you
    If you dont mind people thinking you are just a weak dub for years to come
    If you want to DA but just arent ready
    If you have immediate family you want to help lead from the dubs
    Then fade