how do you change your perspective?

by wings 17 Replies latest jw friends

• wings
    wings

Several months ago I was at an all time low. I didn't know how to interact with life. Stuck in a big hole under a big rock.

My live demands made reading impossible, so I began watching movies. Not just any movies, the kind that make you feel, make you think. The kind that help you to realize your place in the events going on around you, and remind you of how fleeting life can be. How you don't have it so bad. Historical movies about times much tougher than these. Poignant personal movies that examine social injustice, death....etc....documentaries, anything. (I didn't have TV then)

I think I did that for about a month. It worked. It may sound silly, but it worked. Two dozen movies later, I lifted my rock and began my way out of the hole.

What made me think about sharing that was I just watched another one. "Trade" . A movie about human trafficking. Very well done. I learned it is the third largest industry in the world. Drugs, and guns are 1 and 2. Not sure which is which. Horribly disturbing.

Just my way, anyone else?

wings

• ninja
    ninja

ffs ....cheer up woman......do what I do.....drink

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Interesting points wings. Films can certainly affect one greatly.

I guess my perspective changed gradually as my research ran its course, which was some months. And now I'm just trying to live life and let the old shit fade away.

By the way, I expect you know ninja's comment was tongue in cheek - he has a great sense of humour. :) ninja: I still haven't been properly drunk, but it may happen over the next few weeks as I'm going away for a weekend with some German beer-drinkers. :D

• wings
    wings
    I expect you know ninja's comment was tongue in cheek

Just want you to know that I take ninja very serious. I plan on drinking later, just can't start too early.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

that ninja - what a joker! I think he called me "horsie" once. I have to have distance to reframe things and get perspective, so it can take me a while to see things in a new way. And I do a lot of thinking out loud - running things past my friends. It's a wonder I have any friends, eh?

I have this thing from KH days, I can't stand to sit still for a period of time - when it seems enforced like watching a movie or taking a class. R. Crusoe gave me the name for it - akathisia - and it really makes sense. As soon as I HAVE to sit still, I just plain can't. But if there's no reason making me do it, I can sit for a long time. So no movies for me, I can barely watch television.

• wings
    wings
    that ninja - what a joker! I think he called me "horsie" once

have you had a chance to call him a name yet? (horsie?....ninja, really.)

• *summer*
    *summer*

And he called me "old bean" once:-)

Yeah...that's our ninja allright:-)

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Wings

The kind that help you to realize your place in the events going on around you, and remind you of how fleeting life can be. How you don't have it so bad. Historical movies about times much tougher than these.

Ah! You have been watching Gladiator movies. Life is easier now but I miss the lions, the tigers and the cheers from the crowd.

If you need cheering up - hug a Gladiator. Better still hug The Gladiator.

Per aspera ad astra!
    (Through difficulties to the stars!)

• changeling
    changeling

I love getting lost in a good movie. Just leaving life behind for a couple of hours can be so refreshing. And if it's a movie that makes you think and you can "chew" on it for days, even better.

There is a book I've recommended for years called "Feeling Good", by Dr. David Burns. He identifies 10 negative thought patterns and shows how to change them into positive ones. He bases his book on cognitive therapy, which teaches that your feelings come from your thoughts; so if you can make your thoughts positive, your feelings will be also. Might help you in the "perspective" department, I know it did me.

changeling

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

OK you have hours to watch TV but no time to read.

No time to read but you are here. Reading. I think you are doing a lot more than you think you are.

There is plenty just on this site alone to give anyone a great education on cults/high control groups how to identify their power over you and how to move on.

Keep on reading

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit