Are elders angels?

by hamilcarr 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

It's amazing to see how all the supernatural beings mentioned in the Bible are supposed to have a counterpart in real world, more specifically within the hierarchical WT structure. A previous WT study pointed out that the Governing Body corresponds to Jehovah in its capacity of sending out representatives. Jesus was said to correspond to the class of missionaries taught by the Governing Body, just like Jesus (or Michael) had been instructed by his heavenly father. Now, what are they heavenly counterparts of the elders? Consider the 11th paragraph in the latest WT study article on yielding:

Divinely constituted authority is also a factor within the Christian congregation. Revelation chapter 1 depicts Christ Jesus as holding the "stars" of the congregation in his right hand. (Rev. 1:16,20) In a general sense, these "stars" represent the bodies of elders, or overseers, in the congregation. Such appointed overseers yield to Christ's leadership and imitate his kindly way of dealing with others.

Why do they believe the "stars" mentioned in Revelations foreshadow their own elders arrangement if Rev. 1:20 is quite clear on the identity of these stars?

The seven stars mean [the] angels of the seven congregations, and the seven lampstands mean seven congregations (NWT).

So once again, we see that supernatural beings have their counterpart in the modern-day organisation: elders are angels. And to draw the analogy even further: these angels listen to the shepherding voice of their leader, the archangel Michael, represented by the "faithful and discreet slave".

• Robdar
    Robdar

Are elders angels?

Bwahahahahahahahahaaaa!

Maybe devils?

• journey-on
    journey-on

"Stars"?....Like rock stars? lampstands

Next they're going to say the lampstands represent microphones used to "sing" out the message from above!...lol

• metaspy
    metaspy

I know a few elders who would definitely agree that they represented angels.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    the "stars" mentioned in Revelations foreshadow their own elders arrangement

Did not that thought change?? New light?

roman angel

hope4others

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Did not that thought change?? New light?

It wouldn't surprise me that this doctrine has been changing over the years: the WT is known for its flipflopping, but I think the quote on top is quite clear: the stars in Rev. 1 represent the bodies of elders. Eisegesis alert is appropriate here!

• Casper
    Casper

Of course, how could you possibly doubt it...? I mean, it's so obvious...

Lol @ Journey-on

Next they're going to say the lampstands represent microphones used to "sing" out the message from above!...lol

Cas

• White Dove
    White Dove

Now I know why they MUST wear a suit jacket no matter how hot it is. They are hiding their wings from the Colonal...kernal...the ruler of the chickens in Kentucky. Mmmm...BBQ sauce...mmm...

• White Dove
    White Dove

Hamillcarr,

So, when I see an elder, am I supposed to see Jesus, too? Hehe

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

White Dove,

LOL

Well, you could also try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF8unwxhNho

Share this

Google+