Do good works by JWs count for anything?

by greendawn 22 Replies latest watchtower medical

• greendawn
    greendawn

We all know that the WTS like so many other cults is an exploitative organisation that works with a great depth of deception that's not easy for many to grasp. But will the works done by JWs for this religion count in their favour if they were done in good faith? At least the ones that didn't directly harm anyone?

For many it would be good to know that they will receive some credit after leaving the org of course not from the org that will ostracise them but from god or society.

What about the already ex JWs and all the work they did supposedly for god? What do they think?

I think they count as long as one leaves the org upon realising that it is degenerate in nature. Or at least cease to give it any active support.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Spreading a false gospel is NEVER a good thing.

Now, if they helped feed and clothe the homeless, donate to charities to help the needy, demonstrate love for their neighbors by helping out in community services, etc ... yeah, those are works that show you are a imitating Christ-like behavior.

Going door-to-door to hand out WATCHTOWER and AWAKE magazines to glorify a publishing company with false teachings? No.

Matthew 7:22-23 (New International Version)

Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?'

Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

The WTBTS has ALWAYS made prophecies in Jehovah's name - they claim to be prophets and they claim to be the mouthpiece of Jehovah God, and still they hold on to the 1914 prophecy ...

• Lo
    Lo

I don't see them as doing many good works. They even condemn charity work. They seem to care mostly about getting converts, and little else.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Doing good works as a witness (other than what they define as good - selling magazines) represents a lack of faith.

If you do something like feed the homeless, you show that you are not putting your complete faith in gods arrangement of bring mankind to a state of paradise. It is all a waste of time - other than selling watchtowers.

So, withesses have very little time or incentive to do good works.

• carla
    carla

What good works? the insurance fraud after Katrina? umm,no. As already mentioned, spreading the false gospel is considered a sin by some.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

All they care about is getting the whole world into the cancer. Whatever helps the other witlesses resume their boasting sessions and field circus quicker, they are willing to do. That is the sole motive for rebuilding people's homes in disaster areas (so they could keep going).

I saw nothing good about doing this. People have other needs besides those Washtowel and Asleep! magazines, like jobs that stimulate and create value.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I've yet to find any good social values at all, they have a tendency to cover themselves with a white sheet of pretentious righteousness, unfortunately underneath that sheet they are

socially valueless toward humanity.

• chickpea
    chickpea

i would suppose that would depend on how one would define good works

they use their own definition that makes field service and meeting attendence "good works"...... hardly anyone besides themselves have a notable positive impact on their well-being from that "activity".... good for them, i guess

i do know at least in this area.... there are members of the congro that do exert themselves in behalf of the " widows and orphans" ( in the truth of course!) but it is not universal ..... if one is not exemplary, then they can eat sh!t and howl at the moon as far as the congregation is concerned..... the blanket phrase of exemption is " they should give jehovah something to bless" in terms of lock-step allegiance and compliance.....

good works? only in their collective according to their mother ship

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

. Neither JWs nor people of any other denomination are going to be rewarded for their Christian works. In Matthew 7:22, 23, the people Jesus condemned were not those who say, "Lord, Lord, did we not go door-to-door in Jehovah's name, and in his name attend many meetings, and in his name refuse blood transfusions?" The condemned ones are prophesying, exorcising and miracle working in the name of Jesus, things that JWs don't claim to do.

What counts with Jesus is doing "the will of my Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 7:21) But the 'doing' is not what we ordinarily define as 'doing.' Jesus' view of 'doing' is given in verse 24: "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and acts on them may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock."

Acting on Jesus' words is not necessarily working for a church, visiting the sick, feeding the poor, distributing Bibles or in other ways spreading the gospel. It can include those actions, but not every Christian is capable of or in a position to do those things.

Jesus was concluding his Sermon on the Mount. "These words of mine" are the things he taught in that Sermon. Acting upon "these words" has to do with the heart and with the way we live. And as he indicated in the Sermon's final illustration, our Christian way of life will be put through severe testing. (Matthew 7:24-27) Whether we claim to be Christians as JWs or of any other denomination or of no denomination at all, we will be rewarded only if we pass such tests as trial, temptation, bereavement, sickness, poverty and death in a way that satisfies the divine Judge.

• choosing life
    choosing life

We all believed at one time we were doing the right thing as jws. Doesn't make it right, but sincerity has to count for something. I look at what I once did as a jw as strange as those women caught up in that polygamy sect. Totally brainwashed. When I listen to them, I see cognitive dissonance at its finest.

Glad I woke up and I realize I must have sounded pretty strange to other people. Hope all the "new light" breaks through to those still held hostage, even if it takes a lifetime to undo the damage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit