Irish High Court rules hospital acted lawfully giving blood to ADULT JW

by AndersonsInfo 10 Replies latest watchtower medical

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

RTE NEWS

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0425/coombe.html

Coombe Acted Lawfully In Transfusion Case

Friday, 25 April 2008 14:01

The High Court has ruled that a Dublin hospital acted lawfully in giving a blood transfusion to a woman who refused the treatment after a haemorrhage.

The 24-year-old, who is a Jehovah's Witness, received the transfusion at the Coombe Women's Hospital in September 2006.

The court dismissed a counter claim by the woman, known as Ms K, that her rights had been breached and that the transfusion was an assault.

On 21 September 2006, Ms K suffered a massive haemorrhage after giving birth to her baby boy at the hospital.

Doctors wanted to give her a blood transfusion but she told them she was a Jehovah's Witness and refused the treatment.

The Master of the Coombe went to the High Court where he was granted an order allowing the transfusion to go ahead.

The hospital sought a declaration that it was entitled to seek the order.

It claimed staff had concerns about Ms K's medical condition when she refused the treatment.

It also claimed that under the Constitution, it had a duty to protect her right to life and to safeguard the rights of her child.

In a counter claim, Ms K said the transfusion was a breach of her rights under the European Convention of Human Rights and that she was entitled to refuse medical treatment.

She said the hospital had committed assault and trespass on her person by giving her the transfusion.

The case began in October last year and finished in January.

Call for protocol establishment

Jehovah's Witnesses have appealed to hospitals to meet their representatives with a view to establishing a protocol where a blood transfusion has been recommended to a member of their community.

The call follows yesterday's order by the High Court that doctors can give a life-saving blood transfusion to severely anaemic twins after they are born later this week.

The parents are Jehovah's Witnesses and refused to give their consent to the medical treatment.

Doctors believe the babies are at risk of death or serious life-long disability and need to be delivered early. They say the babies will need a blood transfusion in the minutes and weeks after their birth.

• boyzone
    boyzone

Thank goodness! Have a pint of guinness on me Mr Irish Judge. Well done.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

IRISH TIMES Ireland.com

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0425/breaking5.htm

Last Updated: 25/04/2008 14:00

Court finds hospital's transfusion order lawful

Patrick Logue

The High Court has upheld the right of a Dublin hospital to seek a court order allowing it to give a blood transfusion to a woman who refused to have it on religious grounds.

The landmark case arose out of the case of Ms K, a 23-year-old woman from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), who was given the transfusion in September 2006 when she suffered a massive post partum haemorrhage after giving birth.

When the woman refused to have the proceedure, the Master of the hospital went to the High Court which granted the hospital an order allowing the transfusion to go ahead. The hospital subsequently took an action to vindicate its right to seek the court order. The case began last October before Ms Justice Mary Laffoy and ran for 37 days before concluding in January with judgment reserved.

The case involved the first time an Irish court was asked to decide in what circumstances a court may make an order authorising medical treatment for a competent adult who has refused such treatment.

The hospital claimed the State had a constitutional duty to protect and safeguard the woman's right to life and her personal rights generally as well as to protect the family life of the woman and the right of her child to be nurtured and reared by his mother.

Ms K, a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses faith, argued in a counterclaim that the transfusion was a breach of her rights under the European convention for the protection of human rights and she had a right to refuse the transfusion. She also claims that the hospital committed assault and trespass on her person.

Ms Justice Laffoy today upheld the right of the hospital to seek the court order which she said was lawful, despite the fact that certain aspects of the process were "flawed".

She said the “appropriate medical treatment” for Ms K was a blood transfusion and the that the hospital “did not exceed the authority thereby conferred”.

She said it was “regrettable” the intervention of the court probably could have been avoided if Ms K “had not misrepresented the facts as to her religion when booking into the Hospital and had not perpetuated the misrepresentation and compounded it by misrepresenting the position in relation to her family throughout her dealings with the Hospital.”

Ms K admitted she had falsely stated to the Coombe that she was a Roman Catholic and had done so previously during a visit to another hospital in the country.

Ms Justice Laffoy said she was satisfied the Coombe was a hospital “in which the wishes of patients of the Jehovah's Witness faith who do not wish to be transfused are respected.

“The situation in which Ms. K was transfused against her wishes unfortunately was of her own making,” the judge concluded.

At the end of the judgment Ms Justice Laffoy said it would be “helpful” if guidance and assistance was put in place for hospitals. She set out a list of five recommendations:

1. If every maternity hospital had documented guidelines for the management of obstetric haemorrhage in women who refuse blood transfusion. I note that there is a template in existence in the Guidelines of the Rotunda Hospital dated 11th May, 2006, which were put in evidence, but I express no view on their adequacy in relation to legal issues.

2. If the information sought when a woman is booking into a maternity hospital specifically addressed whether the patient would accept a blood transfusion in the case of emergency.

3. If the Medical Council Guidelines specifically addressed how capacity to give a valid refusal to medical treatment is to be assessed and, given the inevitability that it will arise in the future, the issues which may arise relating to the giving effect to advance directives to refuse medical treatment.

4. If, pending the implementation of the recommendations of the Law Reform Commission in legislative form, the State were to designate a legal officer to perform functions of the type performed by the Official Solicitor in England and Wales in relation to patients who refuse medical treatment where an issue as to capacity arises.

5. If a practice direction were put in place in the High Court setting out the procedure to be followed in relation to urgent applications in case of medical emergencies for authority to administer blood transfusions and other medical procedures, distinguishing the three situations which may arise:

(a) where an adult patient is incompetent;

(b) where the patient is a minor and the parents are refusing consent, and

(c) where the patient is an adult and competent but a doubt arises as to his or her capacity to refuse treatment.

• Gill
    Gill

I am very happy that this hospital stepped in an saved this woman's life. She had been sorely misled by a cult like religion.

HOWEVER, I am concerned that some JW may well be driven 'underground' to give birth and therefore risk their their own and their unborn child's life.

When I was a JW it was my worst fear that anything would be forced on myself or my children and may well have considered such a course of action, of not having my babies in hospital, if I even suspected that something would have been forced on me.

As commendable as the comments of the judges were, women should have been reassured that they would be protected from having their rights trodden on, as the rights of women in labour can be ignored and in the UK women have been sectioned under the mental health act for refusing a cesarean section.

Protection should be put in place that no totally necessary procedure is ever carried out on anyone as this ruling may well find some doctor or midwife 'high on power' to force treatment and that would be a tragedy for everyone.

• nelly136
    nelly136

She said it was “regrettable” the intervention of the court probably could have been avoided if Ms K “had not misrepresented the facts as to her religion when booking into the Hospital and had not perpetuated the misrepresentation and compounded it by misrepresenting the position in relation to her family throughout her dealings with the Hospital.”

Ms K admitted she had falsely stated to the Coombe that she was a Roman Catholic and had done so previously during a visit to another hospital in the country.

she also lied about being married.

http://kent.steinhaug.no/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4540

The woman, identified as Ms K, does not speak English and communicated with hospital staff in French. She is said to have been initially reluctant to name her husband as next of kin because of fears over the legality of his presence in the country. The hospital did not learn of his existence until he tried to gain access to the ward where his wife was being treated prior to the transfusion.

if she had said she was married they probably wouldnt have been so bothered about her child being left in a country with no relatives, and quite possibly she wouldnt have been made a ward of court in the first place.

• AndersonsInfo
  • skeeter1
    skeeter1

This is interesting. On one hand, this case is a fluke. On the other hand, it's the first case where an adult could not get her medical wishes. While the facts are strange and may not apply again, the decision is unparalled. Roe v. Wade was a fluke, and look what happened. Cases appear to be "flukes" when the law is changing.

The lady lied on her initial application. For a JW, it's a SUPER big lie to claim "Roman Catholic" on an application. Geesh, that's really, really bad...almost a disfellowshipping offense there, I'd say.

The lady obviously is somewhere between a full, blown mental case (mutliple personalities) or a completely competant, smart, and savvy person with a lying tongue. Which one, I'll never know.

Who knows why the lady lied on her application. Perhaps she was without other JWs when she was admitted, and wanted a blood transfusion if anything went wrong? I know women have a "sixth sense/intuition" and perhaps something made her lie? So, for her privacy, she listed 'Roman Catholic.'

We know that she stated she was a Jehovah's Witness & refused blood, and (i remember another news report saying....) she was in with a "Friend" present to support her decision. At that moment in time, should the doctors have respected her decision? Or, does her past lie on an application automatically turn her into a basket case? Does the presence of other Friends bring into play that this woman could have been coerced for fear of disfellowshipping, etc. if she gleefully accepted blood?

One thing is certain, the Watchtower was behind this lawsuit. And, we all know that the Watchtower does not get involved with non-JWs. The same, old tired JW complaint of "assault and battery" are there. This is similar to the Emma case in England.

It is intersting that the judge used the word "misrepresentation" so many times in her decision.

I think this case is a HUGE break. It's another loss for the Watchtower on blood.

Skeeter

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

These two stories have been on all of the Irish radio stations every hour for the past couple days. This is the top news story here at the moment.

I'd hate to be a witness going door to door this weekend (even more than usual).

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

The case began last October before Ms Justice Mary Laffoy and ran for 37 days before concluding in January with judgment reserved.

37 days of court time? Wow!!!!!!!!!!

There must have been alot discussed & alot of people put on the stand! Can anyone in Ireland find out if the court gives transcripts of this case? Ask if they have it on computer disk. I want to find out what in the hell went on for 37 days.

Folks, this could be really big.

Skeeter

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

i'm sorry guys, but, i think this judgement was wrong. in cases of minors and children, yes, the court should step in. but, forcing medical treatment on an adult is unethical in my book. what if it was decided you had to undergo a treatment you didn't want? you'd feel violated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit