Jehovah's Witness refuses blood for her unborn twins.

by nicolaou 26 Replies latest watchtower medical

• nicolaou
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

Let's not get tired of fighting these battles. With enactment of the Charities Regulation Bill expected in the Republic of Ireland before the summer, there could be a Charity Regulator in place by autumn this year, or certainly by 2009.

Untill then let's apply pressure where we can, be it a letter to the editor or a simple comment on the website above.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

There's not too much to worry about here. Recent precedent in Irish law means that the babies will temporarily be made wards of the state until the necessary medical treatment is administered, at which point they will be returned to their parents. The Watchtower and the parents will make only the most cursory of objections to this.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

They were talking about this on the Gerry Ryan radio show this morning. You can hear it here (show date 23 April 2008). I didn't get to listen to the whole thing yet. It started out a bit stupid. I don't know if he ever talked to anyone intelligent.

Here is a link to the real media file.

• Guest39
    Guest39

I am in agreement with the responders here, but I wanted to go somewhat off-topic: The writer of the article could have phrased the opening paragraph better.
    "when they are born on religious grounds" sounds like they were planning on giving birth inside a church or other sanctuary.

• carla
    carla

Two questions- is it normal in the UK to refer to 'mother and her partner ' ? to me it reads they are not married but could be just a language thing?

also, what the heck?-"she believed an alternative remedy of coca-cola and tomatoes should have been given to her when she refused the transfusion."

• White Dove
    White Dove

Cherry tomato Coke. Oh, those poor babies forced to grow up in *shudder* that religion.

• White Dove
    White Dove

At least the state will make sure they get to grow up. Heartless parents!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Good news on this case:

The High Court has granted an order permitting the Health Service Executive to give blood transfusions to two severely aneamic babies after they are born.

See http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0424/breaking44.htm for full details

carla:

Two questions- is it normal in the UK to refer to 'mother and her partner ' ? to me it reads they are not married but could be just a language thing?

Ireland is not in the UK.

But it's likely the paper simply didn't know the details of the relationship, as their identities have not been disclosed. The man could not be referred to as the baby's father as he would have no such legal status until they are born and their births registered.

also, what the heck?-"she believed an alternative remedy of coca-cola and tomatoes should have been given to her when she refused the transfusion."

That's referring to the woman at the centre of the last blood transfusion case. She was an immigrant from (I believe) the Congo, and so may not have been up to date on the latest medical developments (to say the least). That was a rather different case as the woman, not the baby, was the one needing the transfusion, and because she lied and said the father was not in the country, the court ruled that she should not be allowed to commit suicide leaving her baby a ward of the state.

• carla
    carla

Ireland is not in the UK. --- oops, sorry! I was thinking of nicolaou's country and did not open another window to see where the news article was from (sometimes you can't look all the way back while responding)

As for the tomat/coke thingy, as a jw wouldn't they have knocked old Congolese beliefs/traditions out of her by now?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit