The Army's looking for a few good... ex-convicts?

by nvrgnbk 22 Replies latest jw friends

• TrailBlazer04
    TrailBlazer04

I'd like to weigh in on this topic perhaps from another perspective. My son is finishing his training at Ft. Knox KY. He is not a high school graduate, but has his GED. He scored high enough on the ASVAB to go into almost any career field he chose. He chose M1A2 Abrams tanks. He also needed a couple of waivers, mostly for his atrocious driving record, but one was for a misdeamenor possession of paraphenalia charge. His waiver for that took 2 months, and was finally signed by a general at the Battalion headquarters.

Since his enlistment, he has already been awarded a few honors, squad leader, all outstandings in his academics, his physical testing, his marksmanship and most of all...his outstanding in military bearing. He has been recommended for promotion to E3 upon graduation (May 9th) and for tank driver.

Some of these kids just need a chance to prove that they can make it...away from the influences they fell under. My son did...

The article makes it sound like there's a bunch of uneducated felons enlisting...that is not the truth...there's individual stories behind their collective statistics.

TB (who is PROUD of her soldier)

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

The article is somewhat mis-leading (surprise, surprise!) I was watching and interview with one of the officials aobut this the other morning. Many of these are for people who committed crimes as a minor (14 to 17 yrs.) and the Bomb and Terrorism threats referred to are things like a phone in bomb threat, not necessarily actual planted explosives.

I say if they want to go fight for Haliburton and Dick Cheney, maybe that saves some other kid from having to be shot at. For some, this really is a chance to have discipline and order in their lives. Maybe it will help them learn some valuable lessons that will lead to their being productive citizens.

JMO

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I hope all of them come home safely as soon as possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit