The Army's looking for a few good... ex-convicts?

by nvrgnbk 22 Replies latest jw friends

• 5go
    5go

Yeah we need more ex-con gang bangers with paramilitary expertise roaming our streets.

(See History Channel's Gangland episode : Basic Training) This has already lead to blow back.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Pre volunteer days, courts would give misdemenor- convicted young folks a choice... Uncle Sam or the pokey. That seemed to have turned a lot of kids into pretty productive citizens who may have other wise slipped into the cracks of society.

I dont think the proposed waiver would include persons convicted of high felony. Hell , even during the draft, people had to pass a profile and if you were found to have diminished capacity or were a deviant they would not induct you.

As far as the war on drugs goes...whats your point. About the only thing close to a branch of service taking a daily part in that war is the Coast Guard. Coasties have a high retention rate... many stay for 20 years.

I know many of you dont think this is true... the military still prosecutes and convicts and punishes criminals in it's ranks. Probably more consistantly than civilian courts do.

Hill

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I know many of you dont think this is true... the military still prosecutes and convicts and punishes criminals in it's ranks. Probably more consistantly than civilian courts do.

And more severely. They need to maintain discpline in the ranks for a cohesive fighting force.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    "The numbers seem pretty clear to me that we are lowering standards, and it's difficult for me to see how that wouldn't have a negative impact on the quality of the force," Wormuth said.

I can see for minor offenses yet still jail time fraud, small theft, but for anything more serious could this lead to a wipe out of the crimminal record they hold?

Because now after all they are serving their country.

Just a thought that crossed my mind.

hope4others

The defense official stressed that the standards for granting waivers are stringent -- requiring the approval of officers up to a two-star general -- and remain unchanged. "We're looking at more of these people" but with "the same level of scrutiny" as before, the official said.

Maybe they are just getting desperate.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    could this lead to a wipe out of the crimminal record they hold?

I am not against it myself, in theory--for more minor felonies and young offenders that can "make good".

I also think we should do this with our illegals. Give them a choice:

5 year term, half pay.

Honorable discharge, pass an English and Citizenship exam, and you get the full franchise plus a partial pension at retirement.

It beats sending them away, a lot of these illegals are good people, this would be a way to give them a shot at citizenship wihtout blanket amnesty and prove themselves worthy.

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;

Burn

• 5go
    5go
    Pre volunteer days, courts would give misdemenor- convicted young folks a choice... Uncle Sam or the pokey. That seemed to have turned a lot of kids into pretty productive citizens who may have other wise slipped into the cracks of society.

Actually that turned into a scandal and resulted in many solders being discharged do to the fact international laws forbids coerced enlistment. Those didn't happen in the pre-volunteer days BTW that was a volunteer era idea. My mom had a bunch of them in her unit it wasn't pretty according to her.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    international laws forbids coerced enlistment.

LOL.

Who enforces international law?

Right.

It's a joke.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    international laws forbids coerced enlistment.

LOL.

Who enforces international law?

Right.

It's a joke.

Burn

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    Actually that turned into a scandal and resulted in many solders being discharged do to the fact international laws forbids coerced enlistment. Those didn't happen in the pre-volunteer days BTW that was a volunteer era idea.

Hmmm... I just missed the draft era by about a year or two. I can count 10 guys from my little Tennessee county alone that got the 'choice' from a judge.

Now I grant you this... it was not offered on open court. Amazing how much justice happens in Chambers or out in the courthouse hallway.

As far as your mothers case... any group will have 2 to 10% misfit rate. I am sorry the whole monty ended up in her company.

Hill

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

And you point is? What's wrong with a few good convicts, the point of being in the Army is to engage the enemy and have them die for their cause not your for yours. Convicts aren't quite as squeamish in doing so in some cases. I had several in my squad in Vietnam and was glad to have them. they were a lot less trouble than the drafftees. they the for legal problem type, were good soldiers, not problems. We shouldn't be too quick to judge the book by the cover, put into the wrong circumstances we may have acted as some of them did. Remember some of those convicrtions were for drug use Marijuana etc. Drunk driving and that sort of thing which hardly makes them enemy #1.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit