Next big announcement: All Circuirt Overseers Sacked!

by slimboyfat 31 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That's how I see it Ian. I can't understand people on here saying Witnesses are going to be pleased about this. If this happened ten years ago when I was a happy Witness I would have been devastated. The group study is the best meeting of the lot. It has a great atmosphere, encourages people to get to know each other, and I dare say you are right, it allows elders to keep a closer eye on publishers.

Plus what about the older Witnesses who have their group study in the afternoons these days. I think those groups have become quite popular in some congregations, and I know in my congregation many old and infirm ones attend the afternoon book study who very rarely make it to the other meetings. It is their last connection to the "truth" as they get very old. If they take this away from them I think they will lose a lot of ill/older ones altogether.

Practically all the changes in the past 15 years have been to save money, and I suspect this change must be about money somehow too. So that's why I speculate about a knock-on effect from the new schedule reducing the Circuit Overseer's workload. And if the Circuit Overseer's position is taken over by voluntary part-timers then that would surely save the Society a lot of money. The new volunteers could be trained to oversee congregation accounts just as well as paid Circuit Overseers do now. So that need not be a disadvantage.

Mormons already have a system like this I think. They have volunteer bishops who do a lot of work similar to what Circuit Overseers do, except they don't get any money for it.

• blondie
    blondie

In this area there are 3 substitute COs who fill in when he has to go to CO school, has pioneer school, takes vacation or is ill. I can see that happening more and more just have local elders function as the CO. Their talks are all written by the WTS now, not like the days when they had to write their own. In the last few years, the CO only visited the congregation I was in once a year, a substitute the other time.

• mouthy
    mouthy

. Next the Convention will probably be reduced to two days.

We used to have the conventions 8 days long.... & they didnt finish till 9 p.m every night....We were really happy when they cut them ..... I do hope they reduce the conventions two days only....

• Honesty
    Honesty

Hey Now.....until the announcement this is all just "poz t8" kun-firmed spekulashun.

Youse don't want ta be a runnin ahead ub da slave.

• scotsman
    scotsman

I just told my mother about it. She's a little disappointed as she liked the informal and intimate nature of the BS. Plus, as she lives alone she likes the company. She says it'll alleviate pressure on families and thinks they TMS/SM is the most variable meeting in terms of quality - either being very good or a real drag so is happy for it to be truncated.

And of course it's all due to simplification.

• changeling
    changeling

Maybe the WT has learned something from this site and is now doing "the fade"?

changeling :)

• sir82
    sir82

I must admit, this idea sounds plausible. And it would provide a monetary reason for the change to the meeting schedule.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Why would they eliminate the hounder-hounder? That would allow the hounders a bit more leeway to run their congregations without having the hounder-hounder there to check and make sure they are following the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger.

• sir82
    sir82
    Why would they eliminate the hounder-hounder?

Not eliminated, but no longer paid by the society. The "hounder-hounder" schedule would run from Thursday or Friday night thru Sunday, allowing brothers who work full time to do the job.

• TheListener
    TheListener

WTWizard,

I think the idea is not eliminating the hounder-hounder position but giving the hounder-hounder position/authority to a non-paid elder who roams the circuit looking for trouble.

Title: Circuit Roamer or Circuit Elder

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit