Should People Be Disfellowshipped?

by Frenchy 44 Replies latest jw friends

• waiting
    waiting

In order for the WTBTS to keep it's people in line as they've done in the past, the processes of disfellowshipping, and now disassociation, and shunning, must stay in place.[/i]

Very few people understand what df'ing, da'ing, and shunning are before being baptised. Even the Society admits that persons who have only studied an hour a week for 6 months have just the basics. They don't know the politics.

As JT brought out - it is the fear factor. And it works.

On disfellowshipping - even if a person is repentant, they still can be df'd if the "congregation's reputation is at stake." The person takes low position out of fear of "what will the neighbors think of us?"

My daughter was df'd for "the congregation's reputation." 10 years later, she's in a good marriage. Would she be free to come back and talk with any/all jw's? No. She must prove her repentance of an act a decade ago.

On disassociation - this sometimes is forced upon people. Ask Simon - it was forced upon him. Even if the person chooses to do so, they will lose family, friends, reputation.

On shunning - it is necessary to keep jw's from speaking to people like us, or they may become people like us. It is also a way to completely control jw's while getting them to think they're helping the "unrepentant sinner."

It is all a cruel control tactic. Negative reinforcement on a massive scale.

waiting

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

First I want to thank all of you who replied. If I did not reply to you personally it’s probably because I agree with you. Or, as in Ginny’s case, I simply overlooked it.

Ginny:
    Sorry to have left you out. I did want to address something that you said, however.

There are other questions, even with the simple scenario you describe. Who decides when a person's membership should be revoked? Is this a group decision, an individual decision, or a decision made by a secret committee of three elders? Who decides when a person is repentant?
    Those are important questions. First of all, I believe that the elder arrangement is basically a good one. I said basically. Let’s say two minors are involved in fornication (as it’s defined by the organization). I believe this is a problem for the parents to handle. Period. If it’s a situation with adults then I believe a committee should meet and discuss the problem with the person (persons if both belong to the congregation). If it’s something that they intend to keep doing and that fact is clearly established by the committee being told by the party/parties involved then that person or persons has/have no business being (a) Witness(es). He/she/they should be told as much and be afforded the opportunity right then and there to simply cancel his/her/their membership (disassociate himself/herself/themselves). If, for whatever reason, the persons or person involved refuse(s) to do so, then the committee should inform he/she/them that he/she/they will be df’d and that the decision will be forwarded to headquarters. The party/parties have two weeks to appeal after which time the announcement will be made to the congregation. From that point on that person or persons becomes or become ‘(a)worldly person/ people’.

If a person denies wrongdoing, he/she should be given the benefit of the doubt…always. This is especially the case in matters that, in all probability, will never come to light. The only time the congregation should become involved in when a member’s conduct is public and blatant and clearly reflects badly on the membership. For that reason there would be more df’ing for ‘loose conduct’ than there would be for ‘fornication’, I believe.

But let’s say that the conduct becomes notorious and the person is brought before the committee. Then what? If the person admits to this bad conduct (some idiots do not, even if they are caught with a ‘smoking gun’ still in their hands) and agrees to stop this then he/she ought to be allowed to follow through on their stated intention. Repentance cannot be determined by another person or persons. Only God and Jesus can read hearts and they are not talking to us right now. All that a committee should be empowered to do is ask the person if he/she is going to cease and desist from that course of conduct. Of course if they say they will stop and then do not, then the committee should proceed with the removal process.
    -------
    Unfortunately, what Waiting posted:

On disfellowshipping - even if a person is repentant, they still can be df'd if the "congregation's reputation is at stake." The person takes low position out of fear of "what will the neighbors think of us?"
    …is true.

That’s not what’s in the book, mind you, but it’s what happens sometimes. The KS (elders’ book) clearly states that the sole criteria for deciding whether a person is disfellowshipped or not, is repentance, or the lack thereof.

People are so different one from the other. That is a fact that escapes most elders on a committee who are trying to read that person’s heart. If they don’t see anguish on the person’s face or tears streaming down their cheeks they view that as unconcern or belligerence. “Acts of repentance” is what they are supposed to be looking at but then exactly what constitutes ‘an act of repentance’? That little tidbit is not dealt with in the KS book. That is why I say that the determination of repentance is God’s providence and not that of the congregation.

The congregation should exist as a forum, an arrangement whereby people with certain common interests and beliefs come together to build one another up, to fellowship with one another and to learn from each other. It should be a place, a situation where one genuinely feels free to express himself/herself, to openly and freely talk of their faith and their doubts.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Frenchy,

You are so kind to reply to a shy, shrinking violet like me.

I agree that focusing on behavior and asking about intent, rather than trying to determine repentance, would simplify matters. Without shunning involved, these issues would have more to do with one's membership status than one's personal relationship with God.

I notice that you mention a committee. Do you mean of elders? Why do you prefer having a committee handle such matters rather than the whole congregation? Would all in the congregation have to abide by the committee's decision and treat the DFed one as a worldly person? If a committee handles these matters, will the meetings be secret or open? If a person is DFed, will folks in the congregation know what this person has done?

I'm just curious as to how you picture the arrangement you describe and how it would differ from the arrangement currently in place in the Society.

Ginny

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Ginny:
    Thank you for your gracious words though I hardly see you as a ‘shy, shrinking violet’ but more like a more subdued but infinitely more complex and hardy orchid.

When I said a committee I did mean one made up of ‘elders’ (for lack of a better term for those serving the congregation). The reason I would prefer a committee handling matters such as these is for the benefit of the person accused of the wrongdoing. I would hardly think that the person would want the entire congregation (children?) included in a discussion of a very private and perhaps embarrassing nature. Also, I do not believe that the majority of the congregation would be willing to listen to it in the first place nor would they feel comfortable ‘voting’ on that person’s membership as well. I think that a great many members would not even show up for that meeting.

Now, would the congregation be bound by the decision of the committee? Remember that the person would simply cease to be an official member of the congregation, or as you put it so well: “Without shunning involved, these issues would have more to do with one's membership status than one's personal relationship with God.” Exactly!

The individual would not be shunned. That person’s new status should not affect any of his/her dealings with fellow members of the congregation. There are no restrictions placed upon that individual so the congregation is hardly even aware of the change. The individual is simply no longer an ‘official member’ and is not afforded any of the privileges accorded to members.

Will the meeting be secret or open? The whole idea of the committee meeting is to minimize any damage that might occur to the person’s reputation or status in the community so allowing spectators to come in to gawk would hardly be appropriate, in my opinion. However, I would think that the accused should be allowed to bring anyone they wish to the meeting. It would be their choice.

If the person is df’d, an announcement could be made to the congregation that so and so is no longer a member of the congregation. That would make it official. I would think that it should be left like that. I don’t see the need to give a talk a week or so later on the reason why this person was df’d such as is done in the congregations of JW’s today. This is, in reality, telling everyone what the poor soul did!

This differs considerably from how it’s done today in JW’dom. The biggest and most important difference is, of course, the shunning. As for the meeting itself, presently the accused is not allowed to bring anyone to the meeting unless this person is a witness in his behalf. Although the Society says that a worldly person may testify (or even a responsible child) this is almost always frowned upon and seldom allowed. (The brothers don’t want to air out their dirty laundry in front of ‘the world’) When a person is df’d or publicly reproved an announcement is made just as I suggested above BUT a week or two later a talk is given on the very subject for which the person was disciplined. Now everyone knows why brother so and so was df’d because that talk is given during the service meeting and it does not fit in with the km schedule!

The accused is warned about discussing anything that went on in the meeting. I say let them talk all they want! Why not? What right does anyone have telling someone else not to talk about their own personal business? If Joe wants to talk about Joe’s business, then Joe has a right to do so.

There are two reasons stated as the justification of Df’ing.
    1) To protect the congregation
    2) To move the sinner to repentance.

This is, as we all know here, a crock of crap. How is the congregation protected? Let’s say the person is a thief. Are there not far more thieves around us everyday than would be found on any given day in a congregational meeting? A fornicator? Same thing. There are fornicators all around which the congregation is free to talk to, study with, and bring to the meetings. Apostates! Ah, there you have it. The members may speak to any member of any religion…except a former member of theirs. Why is that? What is so dangerous about an ex-JW as opposed to a Catholic Priest, or the pastor of any other church, or a well-informed member willing to challenge the doctrines of JW’s. I have met quite a few of the latter and had many an interesting discussion with them. They were far more enlightened, I must admit, than any of my fellow congregation members. BUT…they did not have the inside scoop on things! That, is what is feared.

Now what about moving the sinner to repentance? Is that the job of the congregation or Christ’s? Number two is an admission that this is punitive action. Who, today, has that authority to punish someone for their sins? The action is not to move to repentance but to pressure to conformity to the ‘current revealed truth’ that is being peddled.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• Gopher
    Gopher

Utopian Reformist said,

But, if for sake of argument, a person understands the procedures and is a well-balanced competent reasoning adult, and is still confident and comfortable with the policy, then if that same person becomes the subject of inquiry and is disfellowshipped, it is just.

WELL, not necessarily. Injustices do happen in that judicial committee room. Many times elders are in way over their heads, wanting to oversimplify a case to get to its resolution. Or they may be swayed by some emotion, or even by dubious allegations of a third party.

I was comfortable with the judicial process only because I had not ever taken the time to think about its ramifications, what it really does. When the guns were pointed at me, I came to understand the toll it takes on people, and how things can become distorted due to the factors I mentioned in the preceding paragraph.

Frenchy, you said,

People are so different one from the other. That is a fact that escapes most elders on a committee who are trying to read that person’s heart. If they don’t see anguish on the person’s face or tears streaming down their cheeks they view that as unconcern or belligerence.......I say that the determination of repentance is God’s providence and not that of the congregation.
    Right on, brother! I guess I'm of the "not enough crocodile tears to satisfy the demands of 3 elders" class.

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit