Bible translations

by Ex-smoker 14 Replies latest jw friends

• z
    z
    New Jerusalem Bible and the New Revised Standard Version are generally good.

I just looked at the same chapter and I can agree allot better

Z

• z
  • Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I just bought a Holman Study Bible and its pretty good...

• Morgana
    Morgana

For the Hebrew bible, very good and helpful for understanding the original meaning is The Jewish Study Bible (ISBN: 0195297512) which has extensive footnotes (some members of the translation team were also involved in the New Revised Standard Version which I also love).

And for the Torah (i.e., 5 books of Moses) alone, my favorite English translation is The Bible with Sources Revealed by Richard E. Friedman (ISBN: 006073065X) which shows the different text sources in different colors and printing styles; Friedman also has published the wonderful Commentary on the Torah (ISBN: 0060507179) which also contains the complete text in Hebrew and English in parallel. I would recommend Friedman's translations even if you speak Hebrew as I do - they provide a lot of insight into the background and true ancient meaning of the Scripture.

Finally, if you want to dig even deeper into the Hebrew text, have a look at the JPS Bible Commentary series (you can do a search at amazon.com) - very expensive, but the best there is.

• z
    z

Richard E. Friedman I have all his books I enjoyed ridding team all morgana yes I agree

at/ata zodek/et b-100%

Chag ha’atzmot shamich

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit