http://www.progrockradio.com/

~Sue

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Epitaph by King Crimson dubbed to scenes from Apocalypse Now

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZicueG-cMwo

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Among my favourites are Epitaph and Starless by King Crimson, The Gates of Delirium by Yes, and Karn Evil 9 3rd impression by ELP.

W

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Thank you all for your contributions.

Here are a couple more.

It is no secret that the brain behind Cream was Jack Bruce, an incredibly inspiring musician and songwriter. Here he is singing 'Smiles And Grins'. John Marshall on drums (from Soft machine).

Focus were a band worthy of a reckoning. The only thing that could mar the musical virtuosity of its founders Jan Ackerman and Thijis Van Leer was personality conflicts, and it did. They fought like cornered rats in a cathouse. I remember being in Amsterdam is the early 70's and decided to catch their gig. I was having a drink beforehand in a bar near the venue when the band came in minus Ackerman who had walked out on the band an hour before the show. Van Leer had a welt on his head, left as a 'goodbye' by Ackerman. Philp Catherine was with them and they were standing around the jukebox, he with guitar strapped on, feeding the juke box and listening to 'Round Goes The Gossip' again and again...lol. This was his practice session. I knew Philip a little and got a backstage pass, his legs were visibly shaking as he stumbled on stage. Ackerman is a tough act to follow at the best of times.

Focus - 'Questions Answers Questions"

HS

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

Better late than never....

1) The Nice - one of the predecessors of Emerson, Lake & Palmer. Some of ELP's live shows have material sourced from Emerson's old group

2) Emerson, Lake and Palmer - unsurpassed and as overblown as Emerson & Lake's egos. Bigger than life music and definitive prog rock. My all time top group......

3) Triumvirat - German group that had a real ELP sound about them

4) Yes - renowned for the long (and I do mean long) tracks. IMHO Wakeman did better here than by himself

5) Genesis - both before and after Peter Gabriel. Complex works - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is one of the better prog rock examples

One area close to this style of music came from one Larry Fast recording as "Synergy". This was totally electronic (from the mid-70's) and was ground breaking in terms of synthesiser playing (he backed Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush et al as well as producung his own work). Utterly spectacular work, considering the analog synthesisers & technology used.

h9k

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

No one has mentioned Rush? Well then I will mention Rush.

Natural Science is a good one.
    http://www.last.fm/music/Rush/_/Natural+Science

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

SacrificialLoon,

Thank you for that, and also for linking www.lastfm a site which I had not come upon before. It was a pleasure stumbling upon Vasthi Bunyan after all these years. She could pull a tear from Himmlers eye.

Cheers - HS

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Caedes,

Looks like we share much of the same taste, I'm surprised to find someone else who's heard of Strangelove! That in mind, I'm taking a chance and I've ordered a Levitation album - Need For Not, I think. I'll check your other suggestion too.

• Terry
    Terry

Terry,

Interesting summation.

We are frozen in Corbonite times with vapidity laced tatoos festooning bubble-gum teenyboppers in a show of hairless crotch fantasies.

lol..How could I ever disagree with that.

People of our generation are accused of 'being stuck in the 70's'. I can but disagree. I am stuck in innovation and quality. Frankly, politically, musically and creatively the 60's and early 70's were by far the most interesting times that I have lived through, and I have a couple of decades to compare them with! That is not to say that there are not some stellar musicians out there, but few can fight the pimps and the Siren's call of a mortgage free life.

I'm shocked that younger people JUDGE each other by what music they listen to!

Music has become a T-shirt, a membership card and gang sign more than an intellectual participation in the artist's consciousness.

Wasn't it Duke Ellington who said there are only two kinds of music? (Good and Bad.)

Variety of expression is one thing, but, singularity of conception is another. I find so much that is derrivative that it saddens me.

The hip-hop "beat" hasn't varied much for ten years. Why does that bore me and thrill them?

Music seems manufactured around the hit to the extent it is souless cut and paste hook pandering plugged into the face-du-jour.

The unique voice, the epiphany viewpoint, the outside angle thinkers are out there--but, they are consigned to the shadows by trendspotters and fangbang vampire promotion mavens sucking originality out and leaving the lifeless corpse of mediocrity to accept the Top Artist awards.

• Terry
    Terry

Terry,

Interesting summation.

We are frozen in Corbonite times with vapidity laced tatoos festooning bubble-gum teenyboppers in a show of hairless crotch fantasies.

lol..How could I ever disagree with that.

People of our generation are accused of 'being stuck in the 70's'. I can but disagree. I am stuck in innovation and quality. Frankly, politically, musically and creatively the 60's and early 70's were by far the most interesting times that I have lived through, and I have a couple of decades to compare them with! That is not to say that there are not some stellar musicians out there, but few can fight the pimps and the Siren's call of a mortgage free life.

I'm shocked that younger people JUDGE each other by what music they listen to!

Music has become a T-shirt, a membership card and gang sign more than an intellectual participation in the artist's consciousness.

Wasn't it Duke Ellington who said there are only two kinds of music? (Good and Bad.)

Variety of expression is one thing, but, singularity of conception is another. I find so much that is derrivative that it saddens me.

The hip-hop "beat" hasn't varied much for ten years. Why does that bore me and thrill them?

Music seems manufactured around the hit to the extent it is souless cut and paste hook pandering plugged into the face-du-jour.

The unique voice, the epiphany viewpoint, the outside angle thinkers are out there--but, they are consigned to the shadows by trendspotters and fangbang vampire promotion mavens sucking originality out and leaving the lifeless corpse of mediocrity to accept the Top Artist awards.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit