Progressive Rock Music?

by hillary_step 37 Replies latest social entertainment

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

llbh,

I enjoy soft machine too. What about Wishbone Ash ? They were a bit folky

Yes, I remember them well. I was very good friends with all the Powell family, but lost track with them over the years. Argus was a worthy album, though I could never really get into them. When Upton and Turner were looking for a guitarist, two answered the ad, Andy and Ted Turner. They could not choose between the two so they took them both on hence the line-up. It has to be a very daunting proposition for a guitarist to be vying for space onstage, but they managed it well.

HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

nvg,

Procol Harum - Shine On Brightly

Now, there is band to have pity on. Though I remember sneering at them for their 'poppiness' in my more austere years ;), I have to say they were a very underrated band. 'Salty Dog' is an excellent album.

HS

• llbh
    llbh

I enjoyed the Soft Machine clip hs

How about Family http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j1VX7kvu2s Roger Chapman has an amazing voice i went to see them they were amazing

Who can forget Jethro Tull?

What amazes me is that alot of these guys were trained in classical music.

David

• llbh
    llbh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j1VX7kvu2s The lyrics are good too

Jethro Tull - Thick as a brick

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Here is Alan Holdsworth with the Soft Machine in the early 70's playing a track from the 'Bundles' album. I think you might enjoy it,

I did! Well, some parts anyway!

the solo is at the end so please be pateint. ;)

LOL

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

What I didn't like was when I'd discover a new, progressive rock band and then they'd get a big contract and start turning out canned, formula junk music. I call it the "Rod Stewert disco phase."

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Terry, wait:

King Crimson :: Hannah Montana
    Late-period Beatles :: The Jackson Five

gently feral

• Caedes
    Caedes

I have been meaning to get some of the classic prog rock but have never been sure where to start.

Hat's off to Serotonin Wrath, Mansun are one of my favourite bands, unfortunately I never got to see them live. Six is a stunning album. I love Cardiacs too, I still have a 7" single of "Is this the life?" Strangelove, Levitation and Dr Phibes and the house of wax equations are also firm favourites. I saw Dr Phibes support Nirvana around about the Nevernind tour and I thought they were better than the main act.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i always thought i was a fan of progressive rock..until i did an essay on it at college.

seems what i like is an off shoot of prog...called art rock.

im as much a fan of meandering keyboards and long winded rock 'suites' as i am of ego inspired guitar solos, extended drum solos and pointless light sabre fights (see another thread)

but if a 3 minute song or a 10 minute song or a trilogy or a suite or an album or a double album or a triple album...that goes somewhere, that tells a story, that builds to a climax via inter woven melodies and changes in pace and signature.... and is presented with art work and innovative video, film, and stage craft...

give me that any day over a 3 minute teenage sex fest/thriller choreography rip off that will only be a hit if it works as a mobile ring tone cos that the attention span of the modern 'music' listener

pink floyd ...the wall

genesis..the lamb lies down on broadway...(phil collins drumming on this is just brill)

yes... tales from topographic oceans

marrillion...misplaced childhood

green day...american idiot (not so much prog..but still concept..the best concept being americans bought it by the bucketload)

coldplay... x & y

beatles...abbey road (dont understand the sergeant pepper being concept idea..cos it just aint)

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

A early prog-rock group that gets slept on quite often, but not by me any longer:

Gentle Giant
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgYP-bX3XLU

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit