hobbies

by Hortensia 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I really enjoyed knitting - so peaceful. I don't feel peaceful nowadays, so it's hard to settle down to knitting. I'll do some more knitting one of these days. A friend got me knitting socks, which are great. Small project, you can carry it around with you easily, doesn't need a lot of yarn, so you can use the fancier stuff. Loads of designs and colors. I'll have to find a picture of some socks I knitted to post, just for the fun of it.</p>

<p>Here's a sock I knitted from some fabulous sock yarn called Limbo Mexico, although it was made in Germany. I love the bright lime turquoise and raspberry colors in this yarn - I still have a couple of skeins I am hoarding.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

That would be cool to see.

h4o

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Thanks Wings! I'm glad some folks love me - boring topics and all! OK I found the picture - posted it in the previous message but here it is again:

• BigBloomerz
    BigBloomerz

I tried knitting but couldnt get the hang of it, my mum used to crochet balnks for everyone who was expecting a baby in the KHall. I do cross stitch now for relaxtion and also i read a lot of girly fiction, me and my other half have also taken up kite flying, well when its windy anyway I loved cycling when i was younger, altho due to living in an upstairs maisonette i dont have anywhere to put a bike! My other part time hobby at the moment is wedding planning hehe.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

wedding planning for yourself or for others? either way, it could be a lot of fun. I had fun planning my wedding years ago. I think people like knitting OR crocheting OR cross-stitch OR embroidery. I know my mother really enjoyed embroidery, but didn't like any of the other kinds of needlework. I like knitting, that's all. Wish I had some outdoor hobbies that I liked...it would be good for me.

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

I get bored with things easily so need to rotate hobbies often, putting one away for a while and focusing on another. So I do cross-stitch (I have more than a half a dozen underway now), knitting (about the same number underway), quilting, applique, crewel, crocheting (I have three afghans currently in progress), tatting, painting (I love doing flowers, animals, and scenes), stained glass, and on and on including current music lessons on piano, organ, strings, and a woodwind.

And I'm an avid reader, currently into Maeve Binchey's work. Her character studies are fascinating. DH is good at building bookshelves as I never have enough. The local libraries always have tons of my donations, but the "must keeps" continue to pile up anyway. I always buy more books whenever in the city or on a trip. DH has learned not to say anything, though I do get an eye roll or two!

We moved from the Colorado mountains to where we are now partly to get four seasons as I'm a hard-working gardener. There's something so elemental about working with the good rich soil and enjoying the fruits of my labors.

A dozen other hobbies are on the back burner for now while DH and I remodel our home -- this one being a total remodel. He's very creative and talented at design work and I do the finesse and detail part. We seldom hire any help as the doing is the fun part.

Life's too short not to enjoy it. Our brains grow dull and lazy if not constantly being challenged to learn new things. Suduko anyone? Isn't life a blast!

SusanHere

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Hortensia, that sock pattern is absolutely beautiful! I can see I need to add sock knitting to my list.

SusanHere

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

sock knitting is fun - I put it off for years because I was afraid of heels - but a friend convinced me to try, and I was hooked. Lots of fun. No time right now, and as you said, I get bored too. Need to change things now and then.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I have gotten pastels and watercolor paints from eBay.

It really has been a source to supplement my stamp and meteorite collections.

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Kurt:

Where do you find stamp albums? I need a new one, two in fact, one US stamps and one worldwide, but can't find decent albums. What can you recommend?

SusanHere

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit