I grew up in a...

by mahler 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• mahler
    mahler

...cult, a CULT, an f***ing CULT!!!! (Had to get that out of my system (no-pun intended) I've been visiting this site for a week or so and it just hit me. Like an atomic-bomb going off in my brain. How do I get out my (biological)brother who's questioning the religion? A while back he was talking about cults and wanted buying a few books to understand them. I mentioned something about the Mormons and the foundation of the church. I mentioned it a few days later and he got a cold tone in his voice. Since my fathers passing, 5 years ago, he's been gung-ho, I don't want to pressure him or make him snap...

• ninja
    ninja

you're on the start of a long and rocky road mate....hang in there...you will get through it.....ninja

• hubert
    hubert

Welcome to the board, Mahler.

I'm not sure of what you are saying....Did your brother start questioning the j.w. "religion" and started asking you about the Mormon cult? If that's how it went, it looks like HE wanted you to do some research and find a connection between cults....Mormon....cults.....Jehovah Witness.

If it's the other way around, could you give a little more detail?

Thanks.

Hubert

• mahler
    mahler

I'm going to use this thread as a place to vent! So please bare with me. I haven't been to the hall for 8 years. A week or so ago I was thinking about going back to the "truth", I started thinking about the theology of the JW's and wanted to compare it to what critics had to say on the religion. What an eye opener. I felt kind of creeped out when I first came to this site, even after eight years they have a hold on me.

• hubert
    hubert

Mahler, This would be the best time for you to read. "Crisis of Conscience", by Ray Franz. He was a GB member many years ago.

Once you read this book, you won't have any more guilt feelings about the Watchtower Organization.

It will remove all the guilt. Ray doesn't bash the J.W. cult, either. He just writes what he went through, and it's a real eye opener.

Hubert

editted to add: Go slow with your brother.

• mahler
    mahler

My bro was talking about cults in general, a few different ones from the 70's. I brought up the mormons and said they were kind of weird. Then I did a little more research into them and was horrified, I called him and brought up mormons and their foundation and he got cold. I imagine he thought "what is the history of the JW's?" and then immediately shut down.

• hubert
    hubert

Mahler, Stick around, and we can give you information that may eventually help you get your brother out of that cult, especially if he still listens to some of the things you tell him.

Once he decides you are "apostate", then you won't be able to reach him anymore, so go slow, and do your research and ask all the advice you want to on this forum. We'll alll gladly help.

Good luck, and glad to hear you found out the truth about "the troof".

Hubert

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Welcome to the board Mahler,

There is a thread in Scandals & Cover-ups............ I need some more JW scandals/hypocrisies to add to my list..........2 3

You may want to check it out. Also, I also recommend "COC" to read. You will find plenty of support here so feel free to vent.

Quirky1

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Stick around. You will find that you can get straight answers about things on this forum that you would have been hounded to even ask about at the Kingdumb Hell. Crisis of Conscience is a good place to start. Freeminds is another (you will frequently see it on the banner ad--click onto it). Feel free to check out all the links to other apostate forums, and see how they do a good job at disclosing how the Washtowel Slaveholdery tampers with the Bible to suit its own needs, misinterprets it, uses specious logic, twists the meanings of words, and goes beyond things written and continues to claim them scriptural, often backing them with scripture snippets that have little to do with the topic.

And, when you are finished there, feel free to click onto some of the links that have people's experiences of how the cult has ruined their lives.

• flipper
    flipper

MAHLER- Welcome to the board. I just started a thread on this topic about how cults take away your " real" or " authentic" personality. It might be helpful to you. I believe it is on the newest page of active topics or one page back now. Good luck with your brother , it will take time. But as others said, just keep reading on the board here - you'll get information you need. And while your at it, do yourself a favor and read, " Combatting Cult Mind Control", by Steve Hassan. It will help you totally understand why people get controlled by cults. Look forward to more posts from you, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit