is anyone planning a garden this year?

by chickpea 15 Replies latest social physical

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I have been thinking about it...I have the room...I just dont know if I have the time..

I have used the "Square Foot Gardening" method in years past...it works great...the hardest part, as with any initial garden set up, is the laying it out the first time, plowing it up, mixing in the compost and other natural additives...once the seeds and/or plants are in, it makes weeding and harvesting so much easier.... Container gardening is really the way to go..but that is expensive in the initial setup....unless you dont mind using heavy duty cardboard boxes....natural compost at the end of the growing season...

I am with you on the trying to avoid all the "corn syrup sweetened" food. I bought a box of Nabisco Wheat Thins because it says in big print it is made with whole grain... (5g a serving)...no trans fats, etc....what they dont say in big print is that it has two kinds of flour...the whole grain...much further down the ingredients list...but at the top of the list: "enriched wheat flour" (aka nutritionless white processed flour)..and also the "high fructose corn syrup".

I have been staying away from fast food, esp the Golden Arches..but I love the fries (w/BBQ sauce)....so I went in one day recently and got some...I also got a "Nutrition Guide" (if that is not an oxymoron, nothing is )...and it listed medium french fries with 5 grams of TRANS fat!WTH? I thought they switched frying oils and eliminated it? Guess not...so I stay away again...

If it comes in a box, it probably has something wrong with it.. I am also thinking of taking a nutrition course (to fulfill one of my science requirements of my associates)... I have a steamer now that sure makes veggies taste great....

SnakesInTheTower (of the "does not have a green thumb" Sheep Class)

• DJK
    DJK
    djk........ dang! do you can all your produce or do you sell too? any fruits in that plot ? we have too many locally available u-pick-em fruit growers here but i am considering strawberries eventually

We get an excess of tomato's and we make sauce and freeze it. Lasts most of the winter. Summer squash and zuccini we give a lot away. I'm hoping the strawberries do as well this year as last. We froze a lot of them too.

• mrsjones5
  • owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

I have a garden every year. Trying something new this year though--planting tomato plants in containers as opposed to directly in the ground. Have five so far. The better boy variety. Used a 50/50 mix of potting soil and manure as my base, on top of 1" of drainage rock at the bottom of the containers. Already have blooms on two of them.

Also have some squash planted(yellow crookneck) and a couple of pepper plants.

• mind my own
    mind my own

I think I will do a herb garden. Fresh herbs make everything taste soo much better. Mmm, I can't wait!

MMO

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I have grape vines and potted cherry tomatoes.

It seems these other California farmers got their crop in early.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/04/17/news/coastal/oceanside/728a238153441b918825742e006e187a.txt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit