• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Does God have a body?

alt

Yes

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

BurnTheShips

It is not a Jehovah's Witness belief merely.

This is a true statement.

The idea that we will again be joined with our bodies is a Jehovah’s Witness belief.

This is also a true statement.

Words are not an ultimate reality but symbols and as such cannot be understood in isolation.

Religion is much the same. It seeks to define ultimate reality and despite much effort fails to do so adequately. Mind you I fail to see how The Apostle's Creed supports the belief held by Jehovah’s Witnesses.

It was unkind of me to say you had a wooden sword. You had already told me on another thread that you train with train with the short sword and buckler.

See you in the arena.

Narkissos

Thank you for your comments. I would not like to cross swords with you. You would make an awesome gladiator.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Words are not an ultimate reality but symbols and as such cannot be understood in isolation.

Aye

Religion is much the same. It seeks to define ultimate reality and despite much effort fails to do so adequately.

And aye.

Mind you I fail to see how The Apostle's Creed supports the belief held by Jehovah’s Witnesses.

I never said it did.

Keep the rust off your sword.

Burn

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

But still no shit?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    But still no shit?

LOL

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Obviously, not even you believe what follows.

I'm not sure what makes that "obvious" to you...

I have become increasingly wary of all the "ought"s and "must"s and "should"s -- and, funnily enough, it started with reading Paul and Luther, long before getting into Nietzsche... there are striking similarities in the apparent "opposites".

Which doesn't mean that I consistently abstain from them (neither Paul etc. did btw). But when I do use them I know what they are worth... either mindless or performative talk (i.e., action).

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Nark - what exactly do you believe - or not? Or is that too personal?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

R.C., since you ask...

It may sound arrogant or miserable depending on your standpoint, but I have actually become quite close to believing nothing as far as theories or ideas, in the usual sense of those words, are concerned.

And at the same time I believe everything -- every star, cloud, tree, bug or pebble, every smile or tear, every word uttered or written... go figure.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I also sometimes think I believe nothing. Then sometimes I wonder whether or not I simply wish it were so that I believe nothing. I mean it is rather convenient (dare I even say comforting) sometimes to "believe" that I believe in nothing. Maybe the notion that I believe nothing is "nothing" but a mental trap to prevent me from seeing the something I currently believe. How can I ever know. And would it even make a difference if there were a definite answer to that question anyway?

I also am intrigued by your threads/questions of late that seem to proceed on the basis: I don't believe in Christianity any more, but let's pretend I did, what would be the best way to go about it?

I find it really hard to generate enthusiasm for these sorts of questions somehow. Isn't there a more constructive way to expend our mental efforts? Shouldn't we at least be making an attempt to look for a better foundation for ethics and for a new view of the world? Aha, perhaps I am displaying an ever-so-slightly over-optimistic streak here. Have you given up all hope, or are you multitasking behind the scenes. Please share. I rather suspect I have simply not reached your level of nothingness, so perhaps that's the problem for me. And the gap.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Nark

It sounds like a 'mystical' life, a direct experiencing of things without evaluating, or labeling, while not clinging or attaching to anything.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit