Any fans of Buck Owens and the Buckaroos? Traditional country???

by bluesbreaker59 9 Replies latest jw friends

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

I've been on a country kick lately, which is driving my girlfriend BATTY, but you see growing up on a farm and all, and doing chores with my dad and grandpa, we listened to OLD TIME country. There were a couple AM stations that played it when I was a little boy (80's)... So we'd hear, Buck, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Ernest Tubb, Don Williams, Paycheck, Tammy Wynette, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, etc. I remember when Dwight Yoakam came out and dad and I were both sad, because grandpa wasn't around to hear him, and his Bakersfield sound.

I sometimes didn't always like it then, and there is still some that I don't care for. BUT, I do really love Buck and the Buckaroos, Don Rich and Buck on those Teles were just too cool. I always loved Johnny's deep baritone, and his simple band, Haggard I loved for the writing, and George Jones, Loretta and Tammy for their voices and stories. Ernest and Buck were grandpa's favorites, when I hear them today, I think fondly of my grandpa, and simpler times.

These days I dig, Hank III, Redd Volkaert, some Brad Paisley, Dwight, and Moot Davis, for country, otherwise I don't listen to the stuff at all. The stuff on regular FM country stations drives me crazy.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I was a close friend of Dashing Doyle Holly. He drove buses with my husband and then for my husband up until his death. He was a sweet man and so proud of his life with Buck. When we would go out to bars in Nashville he enjoyed getting up and performing with whomever was playing. He had a CD I stole from him, he refused to autograph it. He said, "I'm just Doyle to you honey."

momz

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SA2N7XbaG4I

• avishai
    avishai

Love that stuff.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I am a rocker myself but if it was to be country it would have to be "Classic Country". Yes, I watched a lot of Hee Haw and listened to Buck Owens and many of the others you mentioned. Today's country has lost the classictouch and is more pop and bubblegum.

My family has a lot of background in music. My grandfather used to be a traveling salesman for Washburn guitars, which is what Buck played. My parents & grandparents had several music stores when I was younger as well as a small 8-track recording studio.

My Dad, grandpa and even my greatgrandfather as well as other family members played in and managed several bands. They recorded some 45's and I have a lot on tape of them togther.

Quirky1

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

Hey Quirky,

Buck and his guys were pretty well known as Fender Telecaster players, his old acoustic, I'm not certain about, but if memory serves it was also a Fender guitar, in the years after Don passed I didn't keep track, but I know he used Don's old Tele for years for electric, and later Fender produced his own signature model. The Buckaroos had a deal with Fender back then, they switched to Gibson years later, when the band needed new equipment, so Fender asked for the old stuff back, and Buck refused to give it back.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Here ya' go:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/250193/buck_owens/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKAooKCro8k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz_cfF0Mz6U&feature=related

I grew up on Buck and Merle and Johnny. I did it in the '60's. The longevity of these guys is amazing.

Jeff

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I could be mistaken. I am trying to go by memory from a discussion I had with my grandfather. He could also be mistaken and he is not here today to ask but I thought it was an acoustic.

Quirky1

• potentialJWconvertswife
    potentialJWconvertswife

Buck Owens is one of my musical heroes. I loved to see him and Roy on Hee Haw (still watch the re-runs every now and again). If you love Dwight like I do and you love Buck you must hear Dwight's latest- Dwight sings Buck. PHENOMENAL. Dwight was born to sing Buck's songs. I love the traditional classic country like Johnny Cash, Willie and Waylon, Loretta, Dolly, Charlie Pride, Statler Brothers, Marty Robbins, etc. etc. New country sucks. If you love the classics and new music that is in that vein you should check out Americana music. It's a lot of classic artists, plus some new folks that do it old school style. A cool station on the web is knbtfm.com - check 'em out, I think you'll like what you hear. -Potential

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Gary Allan says he was influenced by Buck and the Cali sound.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aC5uSKLdRCI

momz

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

Yeah I love Americana music, one of my all time favorites is David Zollo, he has 5 of his own cds out, and live he sings a lot of Haggard and Buck at his shows. I've had the good fortune of being his lead guitarist for a few shows too. Check him out on myspace. Also Ryan Bingham is cool, and I loved the original Son Volt lineup. I hate Wilco and Jeff Tweedy's voice though...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit