Did Jehovah's Witnesses ever claim they were inspired?

by slimboyfat 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Honesty
    Honesty

That's right.

NOO LIGHT explains every little misconception made by the uninspired "we don't go beyond the written word" Boyz in Brooklyn.

• Robert7
    Robert7

Here's the ultimate cognitive dissonance...

The Society IS:
    - Guided by Holy Spirit
    - Directed by Jehovah
    - Following Jehovah's will

but given all that, it still is not inspired.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They have claimed to have inspiration. The Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger claims to have special knowledge that one needs in order to understand the Bible. However, they turn around and deny it when their predictions go bust.

And, the funny part is that one does not need inspiration to understand the Bible. All one needs is a totally unbiased mind. If you are willing to let go of any and all religious ideas and preconceptions, and read the Bible totally objectively, you will find it easy to see right through the myths and hoaxes throughout. And you will see God, not as some loving father, but a mean tyrant that wants to control the world to its detriment. And Jesus, not as someone doing the will of God, but as someone that is trying to liberate man from God (just like Satan did). You will also see Satan as a helper, as someone that went above and beyond the call of duty as man's custodian, to lift man out of stagnation that hadn't yet happened.

However, you need to throw away any notions of the Bible that originated from religion. Often, that is too difficult because we prefer to let others do our thinking. And we need to not depend on another organization to interpret it, substituting one set of ideas for another. If your interpretation of the Bible is sound, you do not need help to understand it. And reading it totally independent of any other literature will not undermine your understanding of it.

• blondie
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I am well aware they try to have the best of both worlds by claiming the authority of Jehovah's representative but accepting none of the responsibility that comes with speaking in Jehovah's name.

At the same time it would be nice to have a quote from the literature that flatly contradicts their insistence never to have made claims on "inspiration" specifically.

I was just wondering whether others thought the quote I gave is that smoking gun, or whether it might mean something less harmless. Perhaps Rutherford meant Paul was the inspired "faithful servant" for instance, though that seems unlikely to me.

What do others think the quote means?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Zion's Watchtower and Herald of Christ's Presence—July 15, 1894

alt

So, I read the January 15, 1892 article and found triply damning statements within, along with all sorts of completely wrong pseudo-prophetic babblings, including a directly stated claim that the end would be prior to 1915, doubly confirmed by adding "—that is, within the next twenty-three years."

alt

alt

alt

alt

Check out the explicit statements in the fourth paragraph: "All this, the Scriptures show us, is to come to pass before 1915 (See MILLENIAL DAWN, Vol. II., Chapter IV.)—that is, within the next twenty-three years."

The balance goes on to make the case, somewhat, but is more an appeal to readers that they should trust the messenger and to the messengers that they should trust the source, which is not mere men. I guess this article makes a pretty clear statement about how the communication happens, right? "Oracles of God", and "Thus saith the Lord"? In my opinion, it is impossible to argue that they weren't told to speak this Divine Plan of the Ages in God's name.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

The article does state that the Divine Plan was revealed to them. Revelation is by inspiration, alone.

If this isn't an embarrassment to them, it should be. Just imagine . . . EVERY SINGLE PERSON who put confident, trusting faith in those words of utterly false hope is now completely dead. Not just mostly dead, like the Dread Pirate Roberts was—completely dead. So are all the ones who didn't put trust in that message of falsehoods in which they "made others to hope" and "lying divinations."

Why would anyone believe what that religion says about anything, with such an atrocious track record of certain failure in predictions?

• bob1999
    bob1999

"Jehovah's Witnesses insist they are not false prophets despite making false predictions because they never claimed inspiration."

I'm not sure that's the point.

Deuteronomy 18:22 says if a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord...

All the Watchtowers used to say "...this magazine builds confidence in the CREATORS promise of a peaceful and secure new world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away."

So there you are. The WTS has given prophesy in the name of the Lord (in the CREATORS promise) and that prophecy did not come true.

So they are false prophets, plain and simple, according to Deuteronomy 18:22.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Bob you are right that is the most damning quote of all in my opinion; much worse than any quote from old literature. Still it would be nice to have a quote where they directly claimed inspiration since they make a big deal about that particular word.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

"I do not claim to have any inspiration higher than others who are devoted to the Lord."

Isn't that an odd way of saying that you are not inspired?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit