Whole day ruined because it's a meeting night?

by veen 18 Replies latest jw friends

• MsBHaving
    MsBHaving

Veen, I got a chuckle reading the Subject Line of the post before even reading anyone's responses.

Its so true, now that I am out my week isn't segmented into meeting days. I would NEVER go back to that lifestyle.

• chickpea
    chickpea

i am not going to torture myself ( or slef ) by trying to reconstruct the total involvement we subjected our family to, but it would very much resemble watson's ( altho i was not an elder or even an elderette, nor did i play one on TV), including a 20 min "day text" discussion with the kids before school -- 7:35, 5 days/week -- OMG, including having them "draw" a fruitage of the spirit from a basket so they could work on that quality! ( forgive me, my treasures on earth!) .... book study in our home thurs nights ( big families so usu 25-30 in attendance) then friday morning field service every week in our home and 3 saturdays out of the month....

now that they are all older and unassimilated... we talk about real life and how to survive it! not how to waste it on an eternal doomsday treadmill

• sacolton
    sacolton

I've been one of those that used my "sick" card waaaaay too much. I loved using it for a week-long illness. No guilt what-so-ever!

Yeah, meetings just wear you down ... didn't Jesus say “Come to me, all you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest."?

There's NO REST in the bORG!

• boyzone
    boyzone

Crazy as it sounds but I used to love it when me or the kids had a cold. Then I had a REAL excuse to stay home for the evening!

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I felt that way when we were active, but as we started to fade we dropped a meeting at a time. First was midweek, that one was

glorious to drop, then book-study and finally Sunday. It feels great to be free of the hum bug, always rushing around.

hope4others

• wings
    wings
    I've been one of those that used my "sick" card waaaaay too much

In my house we called it BMS, Before Meeting Syndrome....you weren't the only one.

• Casper
    Casper
    Crazy as it sounds but I used to love it when me or the kids had a cold. Then I had a REAL excuse to stay home for the evening

So glad to know I'm not the only one guilty of the above... Also prayed for snow, lots and lots of snow... just anything, to get out of

those meetings without having to feel "Guilty"...!!!

Cas

• sacolton
    sacolton

That's the thing about meetings ... it's mostly just for appearances. I never had any MS duties (thank goodness) and never gave talks. Brothers who do neither are viewed as "worthless" because the elders encourage all Brothers to strive to become their replacements. In fact, the elder who studied with me through the Knowledge Book had high hopes that I'd go to Bethel ... that was NEVER my intention. I was already settled in a career and making a good salary ... with plans to marry another JW from a different congregation. He never spoke to me again and didn't show for the wedding.

Yeah, it's just for appearances and to boast. I'm glad I don't have to pretend to be something I'm not anymore.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Of course, I liked it when there was two feet of snow on the ground on a boasting session day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit