What is my problem......

by loosie 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I am not big into contemporary christian music, so when I visit my brother's church I feel kinda odd as that is what they play, along with the lyrics on the powerpoint screen. Sometimes I just want to yell "enough with it, just get on to the preaching"

In my church in Kentucky we sing the old fashioned hymns and there is usually a couple of guitar pickers too. That music is very emotional to me, and I really enjoy it,

I guess I am not much into the "swaying" type music, I prefer the foot tapping/slight hand clapping stuff.

• wings
    wings
    I've never been one for drama.

lol, me either.

o.k. mouthy you better run like hell, they are gonna come down on you like a ton of bricks.

no bricks here, you make me smile

(what's with the red sticking?)

• wings
    wings

loosie, (raises hand) I know the answer!!!

It's being in a room full of people all standing and singing together. I think if they were singing John Lennon's "Imagine" it would still creep me out.

If I hear it on the radio or see it on tv it wouldn't bother me. I start getting short of breath when they all stand and start singing. My favorite meeting was bookstudy....no singing.

wings

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That sometimes happens. You see the hypocrisy of the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger, and want out of the religion. Yet you cannot let go of one particular doctrine. In this case, it is the freedom to listen to Christian music whether or not you believe in the message. Sometimes it is the fear of church itself (you will not go back to the Kingdumb Hell, but you still have church phobia).

On the other hand, if you have read the Bible without the Watchtower publications and have seen Christianity corrupted at the source, you might have an aversion to religion in general. There is nothing wrong with that. Some people do not like listening to church music in denominations because they do not believe in it. And that is OK, as long as you are able to go about your daily business Towerless.

Yes you can listen and enjoy church music if you do not believe in the message. You can perform it, too--even if you are against the message. The artistic expression is what counts, and if it is very good, it can be enjoyable just from that (I listen to rap that glorifies drug use, even though I do not do drugs, simply because I enjoy the music itself). And, you can listen to or perform church music solely to give the Watchtower Society a slap in the face.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I like that very last point WT Wizard.

• mouthy
    mouthy

what's with the red sticking?) >>>>

Danger ,,,Falling rocks!!!! Now you all stand up and sing AMAZING GRACE!!!!!!

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I really like those songs by themselves but coupled with people raising their hands around looking like zomblies or lunatics makes me barf too.

I prefer a much more "traditional" service with an organ, choir .. the like. Sometimes the choir can sing songs so beautiful they make my heart swell up with joy -- a much different feeling than the "being in the midst of zombies" feeling.

But I'm sure you don't share my view -- i just wanted you to know that they make even some Christians barf.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

If your like me you just dont like people who wear Jesus on their sleeves... I follow him without a lot of hoopla... Faith is a quiet, personal thing with me.

Are you a "joiner"? Being a JW cured me from that. Every other post here has a valid reason for what you may feel to.

Jeff

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I said: "I bet you like some of the great classical liturgical music. It's the sappiness of the lyrics, and the fact that the people singing them think they are profound. They involve really slopping thinking, and a self-righteous cult-like devotion to the religion, asking no questions. It isn't the music, it's the whole phony religious system that makes you want to puke. Go listen to some lovely classical music, much of which was written for religious reasons, but it's actually beautiful stuff. With little or no doctrine preached at you..."

other than mis-spelling sloppy, what was wrong with that? Where's the hate? I don't believe in any religion. I see the harm religion has done over the centuries. That's just the truth, not hate. I find it interesting that some Christians, when they can't agree with someone, have to say that that person is full of hate or bitter or they have been stumbled. Why not just disagree with me? Why attribute bad motives? And anyway, if I do hate the evil religion has done, what's wrong with that?

• loosie
    loosie

I think your right hillbilly about not wearing Jesus on your sleeve.

I'm not going to throw any rocks at you mouthy. But I am sure the wt did do a number on me.

I like christmas songs at least the ones done by the Trans Siberian Orchestra, they rock.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit