Jesus never existed!

by Layla33 63 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Again, I'm not trying to prove anything here. I really think the burden of proof is on someone who asserts the existence of an invisible being.

If they believe, it's good enough for them, why are they required to prove it to anyone? If you don't believe you don't. Those of you who don't believe, it isn't necessary for those who do to prove anything to you. You are the ones asserting there is no Jesus. I'm saying that it's important to you for some reason to discuss this. If you truly do believe, with every fiber of your being, that there is no Jesus, then why does it matter enough to make a thread about it? Why not spend your time on things you do believe in?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Sorry I asked.

Jeff

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Look, the man was so amazing and unforgettable and influential that our western calendar is based on his birth. People have smeared his name right and left for all these centuries. I'd feel the same way if 2,000 years from now people said Martin Luther King JR. was a mythological legend that never existed.

Heh.

All the deniers here will be long rotting in their graves and the world will continue turn on the name of Jesus of Nazareth.

Burn.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    What, no responses from Burn, Perry or Real One? I am dissapointed.

I am away from keyboard between Friday night and Monday morning, for the most part.

Lack of response does not prove lack of possible response.

And please have a care as to whom you lump me with.

FHN does not seem to need much help here.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I don't know about her, but I have a personal grudge against this supposed Jesus for eradicating centuries of my ancestral pagan culture with his philosophies of weakness and self-loathing. "They killed all the great warriors and left behind only weeping martyrs" (can't remember the source right now). If this "Jesus" never existed, we're one step closer to rejecting his philosophies.

So Doom.

Care to provide proof for your particular pagan flavor?

Last I checked, this Jesus fellow got offed before he was able to eradicate many pagans.

Weeping martyrs. LOL. Killed in the name of the Pagan Gods.

Their sacred blood broke the backs of the pagans.

Faith does not make martyrs, martyrs make faith.

Ave Cesar, morituri te salutant.

Christian Warrior,

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I'm still "in" the dubs, though I see through their lies as clearly as I see that the bible is a pile of crap. Jesus told his followers to "go make disciples" - they went ahead and basically eraticated the cultures of all European tribes, replacing it all with boring old Christi(ns)anity. He also said something about "whoever wants to follow me must disown all his friends, family, and even himself, and pick up his torture stake and follow me". Which is why I referred to a "doctrine of self-loathing".

Ah yes, the wonderful pagans. Please do read up on your history to see the kinds of lovely things they did in the names of their pantheons.

Then get back with me.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

We don’t know what gods are composed of.-We don't know what quarks are composed of. We don't know what minds are composed of.

We don’t know what gods’ attributes are.-We know some of God's attributes. We don't know all of a quark's attributes.
    We don’t know how many gods there are. We don't know how many quarks or minds there are.

We don’t know where gods are.

We don't know where an electron or a quark is at a given moment. We don't understand how an electron can be in two places at the same time.

We don’t know where gods come from or, alternately,
    how it is possible for them to always exist.

We don't know where the Universe comes form, or alternately, how it is possible for it to even exist.

We don’t know what mechanisms gods use to create or
    change anything.

We don't know the mechanism that created the Universe.

We don’t know what the “supernatural” is, nor how it is
    capable of interacting with the natural world.

We don't know what "love" is nor how it is capable of changing lives.

In other words, we know absolutely nothing about gods.

In other words, we know absolutely nothing about nothing

Some of us experience a thing and it is real.

Burn

• Gopher
    Gopher

Well FHN, I guess you just don't get my point. I could claim a Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe, and that you must serve him in order to gain salvation. You could say the burden of proof is on ME to prove the existence of the FSM. And you'd be right, since there is no historical evidence of an FSM, despite his legions of atheist believers!! It would be ridiculous for me to say you have to DISPROVE the existence of FSM.

I'm not making any assertion about Jesus. I contributed to a thread (started by Layla) that proposed the thought that "Jesus never existed". All I said was there isn't unimpeachable historical evidence to support him as there are for first-century historical figures such as the Caesars and even Pontius Pilate.

As for things I do believe in, they are related to humanity -- such as charity, kindness, etc. These are things that we all can share in out of our love of humanity, and if we're religious we can also say we do so out of affection for a certain deity. I don't really care whether Jesus existed, but I have reached the conclusion that belief in him is an item of faith. Do I need to repeat that again??

BTS -- As to whether "we know absolutely nothing about nothing", that's pure nonsense. There are scientifically provable facts such as the sun rises in the east and the square root of nine is three. Or did I take you out of context? However I do respect what you said "Some of us experience a thing and it is real". I just hope that on this board we can respect a broad range of opinions, from belief to non-belief.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    BTS -- As to whether "we know absolutely nothing about nothing", that's pure nonsense. There are scientifically provable facts such as the sun rises in the east and the square root of nine is three. Or did I take you out of context? However I do respect what you said "Some of us experience a thing and it is real". I just hope that on this board we can respect a broad range of opinions, from belief to non-belief.

I respect you non-belief, just don't get your panties in a bind when I respond to your questions like I did here. There is no disrespect in my response, just as there was none in your own post.

Three Cheers to My Favorite Atheist. ;-)

alt

Burn

• free2beme
    free2beme

He did not exist, plain and simple.

Some people need to believe he did and hold to it with what ever they can, plain and simple.

Finding the ability within ourselves to accept that everyone has the right to believe or not believe and not be arrogant on either side .... Priceless!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit