1924-Very, very rare-"Comforted Of God"--PDF!

by Atlantis 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Poztate:

You are very welcome my friend!

Thank you!

N.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas
    This isn't a Watchtower publication it is a Bible Student publication, published in those early years. In fact their a dime a dozen within Bible Student circles,

It wasn't published by the WT Society, but it reflects those Bible Students who were in association with Rutherford, as it has the song "Millions Now Living Will Never Die," which is termed a "Golden Age Song." Most of the defections from Rutherford's group to the other Bible Student groups came a short time later.

• RR
    RR
    It wasn't published by the WT Society, but it reflects those Bible Students who were in association with Rutherford, as it has the song "Millions Now Living Will Never Die," which is termed a "Golden Age Song." Most of the defections from Rutherford's group to the other Bible Student groups came a short time later.

So what came first the song of the booklet?

Benjamin Barton gave a discourse by the name "The Harp of God", long before the Judge published his book.

"Comforted of God" was published by Frederick Lardent, he left shortly after Russell died.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I'm open to seeing info that would show Lardent was not affiliated with Rutherford at this time. It just seems odd he'd use Rutherford's phrase "Millions Now Living Will Never Die" in his book if he was not affiliated with Rutherford. The Herald of Christ's Kingdom (published by the directors who broke with Rutherford in 1917) came out with an article specifically rejecting the "Millions" campaign and phrase in the early 20s.

The largest number of Bible Students who parted company with Rutherford seems to have been after 1925 after JFR started inserting articles in the Watchtower against Russell's teachings. Even people like Morton Edgar were still affiliated with Rutherford at this time. (Vol. 2 of the 1924 edition of Great Pyramid Passages even has a chapter entitled "Millions Now Living Will Never Die" with a footnote advertising Rutherford's booklet.)

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

"The song Millions Now Living Will Never Die was first issued as a single sheet printed on one side only. It is copyright 1922 by Isabelle Elliot. The single sheet version of the song was published by Dr. C. R. Rhinehart of South Bend Indiana. Comforted of God is one of a number of Lardent booklets, some published before he left off association with the Watch Tower Society. This one seems to date from the year before he left. Other booklets of his were reprinted in The New Era Enterprise."

I wrote to the person who runs truthhistory.blogspot.com. This was his reply. He usually knows what he's about, and I believe this is accurate. He also says the booklet is moderately hard to find but not rare. I only own it as a photocopy, and I've never seen the broadsheet version of the song.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit